Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 D4 front lower suspension arms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
vbrab

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
D3 D4 front lower suspension arms

I'm having front lower suspension bushes done, and service person says that they now fit complete new arm off D4 as they are superior and bushes and ball joint will last longer.
I see that D3 arms (last upgraded in 2009 and superceding all previous upgrades), is a different part number to D4, which suggests that D3 arm and D4 arm are different . (Different prices quoted as well.)
I am reluctant to pay D4 price for what might be just a D3 arm, but if D4 arm is better and does fit, then happy to pay the difference...as long as that is what I am getting.
Does anybody know anything for certain about the interchangeability of these arms?
regards, Vbrab

Post #84741914th Oct 2011 1:11 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

D3 arms were changed, I think about MY08 due to ball joint upgrade. D4 arms would be different as they chaned the suspension geometry to improve handling. Did the service folk say they had done it before?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #84762815th Oct 2011 1:27 am
vbrab

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
D3 /D4 front lower suspension arms.

My query started with enquiring about renewing bushes on 07 D3 with 200k on it, with the service guy saying they had found that replacing whole arm with D4 arm was the way to go (stronger, better life blah, blah).
They reckon they do many such changes.
On checking their price for arms I found that they were pricing them at D4 prices, but I'm not that certain that the D4 arm is what they will fit, more likley they will fit the upgraded D3 arm which appears to be quoted about 25% cheaper than D4 arm, and I am not keen to pay for what I don't actually get.
I'm aware geometry on D4 changed, but would think that can be dealt with by alignment after fitting (whatever they fit).
Still trying to get a definitive response on whether D4 will fit D3, if not will just supply D3 arms for them to fit.

Post #84763715th Oct 2011 4:05 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I see know reason why the D4 arm would not physically fit a D3 but the upper arms and other parts may be different as well so it may be a job lot. Tip: get the RRS bushes fitted if you can they are what is fitted (same part number) to the armoured D4. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #84763915th Oct 2011 4:33 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Or complete RRS arms
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #84766515th Oct 2011 9:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The D4 has a lower roll centre for both the front and rear suspension, so its not just an alignment change.
I wonder what hard cornering might be like with the front having a lower roll centre but the rear still having the original higher roll centre as lowering only the front roll centre may introduce unexpected oversteer. Perhaps the upper wishbones have also been redesigned to accomplish the lower roll centres, although not if they use the same part number.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #84770915th Oct 2011 12:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >