Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

D3 to D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
roystonh

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
D3 to D4

I have had a D3 for 2 and a half years, its been in the garage for about 6 weeks in all with various problems to sort out, but I love the driving postition and the dealer!

I buy my cars from Barretts Land Rover in Ashford, Kent - they have been the best garage that I have ever dealt with. They have been great at dealing with the problems (EGR and other issues including a previous exploding Range Rover), made sure I have always had a replacement car and been friendly and courteous every time I contact them. They even phoned me on my brithday last week to wish me a happy one!

I was looking to get my costs down and opt back in to a company car scheme, so I consdiered a Lexus RX450h -very nice, cheap as a company car (£350 BIK pm) although the reviews are mixed. I know it would be unlikely to break down, be great on fuel - and quiet, but I really dont like the styling and its got a much lower seating position and a tiny boot in comparison to a Disco.

I contacted the Lexus dealer and was obviously forced to compare them to the high standard of service I always get from my LR dealer. They didn't have a car in for a test drive when I wanted to go out in it - crazy for a new release car - it should be there every day for test drives. One member of staff was unfriendly - crazy as I was going to give them £56k. I then had to consider if i am feeling unsure of them now, what would their after care be like? Would they collect my car from my front door and give me a replacement for the day when it is due a service? I don't think so.

So, after looking at all options, I'm back to Land Rover - and the D4 HSE - I'm having a test drive on Friday, but still have a niggle that a Supercharged RRS would be a hoot, although less practical. I have had black cars for the last 7 years so want to be a bit different and I am thinking about it in white, with lots of chrome. Great to spot if its nicked and I don't think many people will opt for white so should be unusual.

Of course, if I eventually go for the D4 its got to have all the toys - cameras, TV and possibly a DVD with 20" alloys. Its on a PCP that finishes in March, I will have to pay fees when it does go as I will be over my agreed miles by October - so I can sell it now and start again with a company car.

So, I hope that I have better luck with the D4 and this model doesn't have the reliability issues that have plagued me before - will let you know how I get on.

Roy Very Happy

Post #50814616th Aug 2009 9:09 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Good luck Roy, you'll have to update us when you get it Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #50816916th Aug 2009 9:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I think that you will enjoy the D4

I think its the right choice Thumbs Up

Post #50821816th Aug 2009 11:30 pm
tucker_j

England 

Quote:
So, I hope that I have better luck with the D4 and this model doesn't have the reliability issues that have plagued me before - will let you know how I get on.

I love Land Rovers, I currently have Landy 5 & 6 parked on the driveway having previously owned a 110, Disco 2, Disco 3, Defender and now current Defender and Disco 3. The golden rule I have is to never buy a new product from Land Rover, but wait 18 - 24 months while they fix all the faults. I got the Disco 2 just before the Disco 3 was released, had the last of the Defender TDi's (1998) and swapped that this year for the last of the Defender TD5's (2006).

The only time I broke this rule was my first Disco 3, brought in 2005 and less than a year after release. It developed every single known fault during two years of ownership.

I hope I'm wrong and your luck holds, but I'm hanging out until 2011 before I order a D4

Post #50931219th Aug 2009 3:42 pm
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

tucker_j wrote:
The golden rule I have is to never buy a new product from Land Rover, but wait 18 - 24 months while they fix all the faults.

After 1 FL and 2 FL2's I would absolutely agree with you tucker_j. However, is D4 a 'new' model? It does share quite a few parts with the D3's, if not most of them. Fingers crossed that early teething probs will have been kept to a min! Bow down

Post #50932519th Aug 2009 4:06 pm
Budweiser

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Enjoy the ride, I am so pleased with my D3 I'd buy a D4 as my next vehicle without a second thought... Bow down

Post #50933019th Aug 2009 4:22 pm
tucker_j

England 

Well there's a new engine, dash and I guess electronics promitheus. Probably enough there to keep aftersales busy for a year or so.

Post #50933219th Aug 2009 4:35 pm
hls

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

From tucker_j's signature
Quote:
IT's STILL NOT A JEEP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and aren't we all glad its not Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Post #50939819th Aug 2009 7:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >