Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 56 Plate Manual EPB screaming at me
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Robtonto

United Kingdom 
D3 56 Plate Manual EPB screaming at me

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have only just brought my own D3 recently, so pretty much a novice around it. I've only had her for 3 months and everything has run fine and as I would have expected, although over the last couple of weeks things have started to go wrong.
I jumped in on Sat morning and tried to release the hand brake and it wouldn't release. I went through the hand book and found out how to release it using the loop and hook under the centre console. This released the handbrake and then i had a red flashing parking break light flashing on the dash, with a permanent amber parking brake light. I also noticed that the gears were slow to be displayed on the dash. With a bit of googling I found some advice to solve this by resetting the xyz selector, which I did and resulted in the Amber parking brake light going off just leaving the Red flashing PB light.
If I try to apply the epb now i get a screaming noise for about 5-10 seconds but no hand break being applied. Is this an easy fix or an expensive problem?

I've also found that the cruise control is intermittent and just works when it wants to.

Then today i hook up my trailer, load up and start off on my journey. As i'm starting to put pressure on her as we pull up hills I notice she is now starting to chuck out loads of black smoke until I come off the throttle. She also feels like there's less power and I have to change down to lower gears than I would normally have to.
Any help would be really appreciated as I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment and need to make her safe for my missus who's pregnant. Rolling Eyes

Post #209403421st Oct 2019 11:49 am
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'm not at home and cant grab my manual, but from memory I'm pretty sure the EPB and cruise are run through the same fuse. I've taken mine out whilst I await fix for the EPB and the cruise stopped at the same time.

The park brake is a critical part of the workings and I'm not convinced you should be driving it - especially towing! - whilst that doesn't work. Yours is a manual so no park option on the gearbox either.

Once you've pulled that emergency release I think you're stumped until you repair the module/motor mech under the car. Plenty of guides on here. Also best to replace the EPB shoes in each rear disc at the same time and calibrate etc.

Best of luck.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #209406221st Oct 2019 1:08 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Where are e in Cornwall ?
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #209406321st Oct 2019 1:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robtonto

United Kingdom 

Hi Stu.
I'm in St Austell but work in Bodders.

Post #209406721st Oct 2019 1:25 pm
Robtonto

United Kingdom 

DIY Ace wrote:
I'm not at home and cant grab my manual, but from memory I'm pretty sure the EPB and cruise are run through the same fuse. I've taken mine out whilst I await fix for the EPB and the cruise stopped at the same time.

The park brake is a critical part of the workings and I'm not convinced you should be driving it - especially towing! - whilst that doesn't work. Yours is a manual so no park option on the gearbox either.

Once you've pulled that emergency release I think you're stumped until you repair the module/motor mech under the car. Plenty of guides on here. Also best to replace the EPB shoes in each rear disc at the same time and calibrate etc.

Best of luck.

Hi,
Oh I certainly won't be towing without the EPB repaired. I've got a local guy I've just spoken to who has put me in touch with a chap who only works on Landies for farmers and he's going to take a look next week.

So is it he case with the emergency release that it pulls a pin to release the break then there is no way the ebb can re apply the break with out a new eps module?
Thanks in advance.

Post #209406821st Oct 2019 1:30 pm
Sea Raider

You need to re-latch the EPB - you shouldn't need a new module

A bit of light reading for you

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/epb-repairu...t=re+latch

Post #209407221st Oct 2019 1:39 pm
stew 46

I have a 3 ton 4 post ramp in my unit in Wadebridge, sometimes there’s nothing on it Thumbs Up my epb went t-ts up on my first D3 so used it for 2 months disconnected Shocked not great and can’t recommend it but it kept me on the road Thumbs Up
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #209407321st Oct 2019 1:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stew 46

Who’s the local Indy ? , I use Mick Moore at winards perch Thumbs Up
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #209407421st Oct 2019 1:42 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Technically yes, it breaks the connection between the motor and the cable, inside the module. I've just been quoted about £1700 to replace it and rebuild both rear brakes.

However there are ways around it. Theres a workaround on the forum to rebuild it at home, at no cost. I'm going to have a go in a few weeks when I have a long weekend off.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #209407521st Oct 2019 1:43 pm
Robtonto

United Kingdom 

Sea Raider wrote:
You need to re-latch the EPB - you shouldn't need a new module

A bit of light reading for you

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/epb-repairu...t=re+latch

Huge thank you "sea raider" I think between my mech and myself we should be able to sort this.

Post #209407721st Oct 2019 1:47 pm
Robtonto

United Kingdom 

stew 46 wrote:
Who’s the local Indy ? , I use Mick Moore at winards perch Thumbs Up

It's not Mick, it's someone who my local garage in Bodmin is putting me in touch with. Once I've spoken to him I'll post his details, probably come in useful to folks down here.

Thanks for the offer of your ramps, may need to take you up on that at some point.

Post #209407921st Oct 2019 2:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >