Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 2.7 TDV6 Engine acceleration issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
Do the same process you’ve done so far, when you remove the fill plug, just top up with new oil until you get oil dribbling out. Then take if for a spin (with the filler plug back in place of course!)

beat me to it Bow down

Post #187901913th Nov 2017 8:26 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My guess is low GB oil and/or wrong oil used. It's unlikely the GB oil filter has been changed unless the GB sump is metal, not plastic.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #187902813th Nov 2017 8:39 pm
gstuart

hi

may i ask have u guys found the gearbox filter very dirty when you’ve converted the pans them please

see also a lot of u guys use the AG55 atf oil

many thks Thumbs Up

Post #187905113th Nov 2017 8:56 pm
M3DPO

I've seen no reports of visibly dirty filters when they've been changed/upgraded.

Take the oil inlet pipe off where it goes into the radiator (looking at the engine from the front, top right hand side, 12 mm pipe with a jubilee type clip) and take a sample of oil, check it is not tinted red, red suggests wrong oil has been put in. Thumbs Up

Post #187907113th Nov 2017 9:21 pm
gstuart

hi M3DPO

many thks for that , that’s very interesting ref the colour , didn’t realise the new atf fluid wasnt red , know the connection u mean

been reading up on the fantastic filo write up on the atf oil change , been trying to find out when u connect the hoses which one pumps and which one sucks the new oil back in Whistle

seen where some have got 10 x litres of new ATF oil, put one hose into an empty container and then other hose into the new atf oil , start the engine and it sucks the oil in and the old oil comes out , so changes the autobox oil easily by using the engine , knowing my luck i would put the hoses the wrong way round and read it totally wrong Rolling with laughter

thks again Bow down

PS, u mentioning ref the small 12mm pipe and taking a sample, i think the brain has just engaged and assume that must be the pipe that pumps the oil out

will get my coat and nothing like me being a doughnut Embarassed

Post #187908913th Nov 2017 9:40 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

This sucking has been mentioned in here recently.

I don't think it's been proved to work in the disco yet.

You can either pump it in with a garden sprayer at the front, although it takes time to sort hoses etc and rather time Consuming if you are only doing 1 car.

Or pump/gravity the oil into the level plug. Can be. 2 man job to avoid spills and waste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI7XZHiBfaA&t=599s

Post #187909513th Nov 2017 9:50 pm
M3DPO

gstuart wrote:
hi M3DPO

many thks for that , that’s very interesting ref the colour , didn’t realise the new atf fluid wasnt red , know the connection u mean

been reading up on the fantastic filo write up on the atf oil change , been trying to find out when u connect the hoses which one pumps and which one sucks the new oil back in Whistle

seen where some have got 10 x litres of new ATF oil, put one hose into an empty container and then other hose into the new atf oil , start the engine and it sucks the oil in and the old oil comes out , so changes the autobox oil easily by using the engine , knowing my luck i would put the hoses the wrong way round and read it totally wrong Rolling with laughter

thks again Bow down

PS, u mentioning ref the small 12mm pipe and taking a sample, i think the brain has just engaged and assume that must be the pipe that pumps the oil out

It will not suck oil in, it must be pumped in or by gravity(slow). If the engine is started the oil will come out of the pipe fast, very fast!

Post #187910613th Nov 2017 10:07 pm
gstuart

Pete K wrote:
This sucking has been mentioned in here recently.

I don't think it's been proved to work in the disco yet.

You can either pump it in with a garden sprayer at the front, although it takes time to sort hoses etc and rather time Consuming if you are only doing 1 car.

Or pump/gravity the oil into the level plug. Can be. 2 man job to avoid spills and waste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI7XZHiBfaA&t=599s

many thks pete and most appreciated for the reply Bow down Thumbs Up

Last edited by gstuart on 13th Nov 2017 10:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #187911013th Nov 2017 10:11 pm
gstuart

M3DPO wrote:
gstuart wrote:
hi M3DPO

thks again Bow down

It will not suck oil in, it must be pumped in or by gravity(slow). If the engine is started the oil will come out of the pipe fast, very fast!

see , that why i like to ask the stupid questions first before i get myself into trouble, Whistle

bless u once again Bow down

Post #187911313th Nov 2017 10:12 pm
Devilin1972

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

hi guys
i checked the oil level at cold and it poured out the fill plug
Did the same process again ran the engine etc the gear box took about half a litre of fluid before it started to trickle back out gearbox was reading about 18 degrees at this point using an infrared temp gauge
took the car for short drive, temp was about 37 degrees when i checked the oil level again and it poured out the fill plug
from the replacement gear box sum covers i have seen for sale i would say the one fitted is possible the original cover with the fins on it possibly plastic, not sure.
slightly worried after reading the part about oil for the gear box, i went to the local car place and asked for auto gear box oil gave him the reg of the car and he assured me that Comma MVATF Plus is the correct oil, to be fair i checked on line when i got home and the Comma site also says this as well as stating the fluid is equivalent to the ZF oil but the Comma stuff is red?
the oil that came out of the box when i checked the level at cold looked and smelt more like gear oil than ATF is that right?
during the test drive the noise was there constantly under any kind of acceleration, the revs were fluctuating but only intermittently when under load not like before
after about 3 miles there was a loud noise like a compressed air hose being released i stopped and checked it to find it had blewn the lower left hand (when sat in the drivers seat) inter-cooler pipe off the steel pipe that connects to the turbo
on the first test drive after fitting the new turbo it did the same thing and i assumed that i had not tightened the jubilee clip up properly but twice surely says something is a miss? over pressuring?
the engine was running really ruff up to the point where the pipe blew off once that happened it smoothed out somewhat
what would cause this? could it be blocked CAT ? although you can see fumes coming out the exhaust when its idling?
maybe something with the inter-cooler?
i cleaned the MAP sensor but that was after the first blow off after fitting the turbo so i dont think its that
I carried out a hard reset prior to checking fluid levels as it suggests in some of the posts, doing this wouldnt erase the EGR delete programming i assume?

Post #187952914th Nov 2017 8:19 pm
gstuart

hi mate

as it’s is a 2005 u don’t need the egr blank software , believe that for 2007 onwards

wonder if it’s worth draining if ur unsure with the the correct atf fluid , have seen this oil mentioned ,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4L-BMW-Jaguar-L...0005.m1851

did u also have ur aircon on full blast when u tested the level

or maybe get the gearbox flushed , the forum members on here / flack and geoff. are extremely knowledgeable and very helpful

apologies but i don’t have the enough experience what would cause the intercooler hose to blow off like that’s, maybe blocked intercooler / cat ???

assume with the hose off the pipe is all clear, is there much oil inside

i personally bought these T clamps which are better , listed the sizes as well for all the intercooler hoses

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic157268.html?highlight=t+bolts

u can buy them off ebay , will last longer as well seeing there made of stainless steel

did u check that the butterfly was removed within the throttle body

hopefully one of the more experienced guys will come along and be able to guide u why that hose keeps coming off and if the comma oil is ok

hope u get on ok

Last edited by gstuart on 14th Nov 2017 10:32 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #187959614th Nov 2017 10:19 pm
gstuart

just found this thread ref the comma oil

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/transmissio...MVATF+Plus

http://offroadrover.com/check-zf-6hp26-tra...ermometer/

Post #187959914th Nov 2017 10:22 pm
Devilin1972

Hi buddy
The aircon is yet another thing that is currently not working
Paid for a full regas shortly after purchase of the vehicle and within 2 days the system had lost all its gas so its on the to do list
Is the aircon and gearbox linked from an oil point of view on these vehicles or is it about having a certain load on the engine at idle speed when checking the oil level ?

It

Post #187972115th Nov 2017 11:45 am
Devilin1972

From the various posts it would appear that the Comma oil is ok to use in the gearbox

Post #187972215th Nov 2017 11:46 am
Devilin1972

The butterfly has not been removed when the EGR blanking was done (prior to me purchasing the vehicle)
I paid for the EGR delete where they change the ecu programme
I will remove it this evening, reconnect the intercooler pipe and see if its what is causing the over pressure
Thanks

Post #187972815th Nov 2017 11:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >