Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Ctek Traxide relay clicking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D3MY07NL

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Ctek Traxide relay clicking

Yesterday morning when i entered the garage i heared a clicking sound (about 1/second). After investigation i found out that it was the relay in the Traxide box. After disconnecting the Ctek from the main battery the clicking stopped after a few minutes.

Is this normal behavior? I think the main battery is becoming unhealthy after 3 years...

Happy new year!

Lume
 Traxide SC40
Optima Yellowtop
GSM FBH (danhag)
EGR blanking (Bell) 

Post #7400442nd Jan 2011 11:23 am
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I would say its not normal.

Suggests that the voltage is changing for some reason causing the relay to change state.

I would get the main battery checked.

Ian

Post #7407883rd Jan 2011 11:10 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ask drivesafe. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7408284th Jan 2011 3:33 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Lume, I need a bit more info.

Have you measured the voltage of the auxiliary battery because if you haven’t driven your D3 for a while and/or have been using power from your auxiliary battery, a battery charger is not likely to have the current capacity to raise the voltage enough at the auxiliary battery while trying to charge the cranking battery at the same time.

What can happen, if your auxiliary battery(s) is low and the SC80-LR has cut out, when you charge the cranking battery and the voltage at the cranking battery rises above the cut in voltage, the SC80-LR cuts in but because the auxiliary battery is low, the voltage drops and the SC80-LR cuts out.

Because the voltage drop caused by the load from the low auxiliary battery has now been removed, the voltage at the SC80-LR rises again above the cut in threshold of the SC80-LR so you get into a cycle.

The fact that the cycle continued for a while after the battery charger was removed is why I think you have a low auxiliary battery.

The cycle continues because the cranking battery has received a decent charge and has a surface voltage which is caused while charging the cranking battery.

The cranking battery is simply carrying on with the cycle until this surface charge is removed from the cranking battery.

A portion of the cranking battery’s surface charge is removed each time the SC80-LR connects the auxiliary battery to the cranking battery.

Once the cranking battery’s voltage level, including any remaining surface charge, is below the SC80-LR’s cut in level, the clicking stops.

While you could leave the charger connect and it would eventually charge the auxiliary battery as well, I would recommend you simply charge the auxiliary battery with the charger and once charged, you can then connect to the cranking battery and both batteries will then be charged at the same time.

NOTE, this operating situation does NOT occur when charging from the alternator because the alternator’s current output, even at idle, is high enough to charge both batteries at the same time.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #7408364th Jan 2011 7:32 am
D3MY07NL

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Especialy Drivesafe for the indept explanation.

I'm going to measure several voltages and report these back.
 Traxide SC40
Optima Yellowtop
GSM FBH (danhag)
EGR blanking (Bell) 

Post #7423816th Jan 2011 9:12 pm
D3MY07NL

My Aux battery (Optima Yellowtop) was only 11V and de main battery 12.5V. DriveSafe was spot on with his suggestion.

Still i find it strange my aux battery has such a low voltage. The only thing connected to it is the Danhag gsm box.

At this moment the Traxide has connected both batteries and Ctek is maintaining the fully charged batteries at about 13.25V. I will be monitoring the batteries for some time.
 Traxide SC40
Optima Yellowtop
GSM FBH (danhag)
EGR blanking (Bell) 

Post #7438749th Jan 2011 4:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >