Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

CSOV issues - I'm puzzled
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Alex_J

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
CSOV issues - I'm puzzled

Hi all ! I am racking my nerves on a CSOV issue.

My car is a 2012 disco 4 (TDV6 211 hp with ZF8HP gearbox, not SDV6, but doubt it matters, engine is basically the same). 255 000 kms on the odometer, I'm the 3rd owner, acquired it a year and a half ago . It had been well maintained for most of its life by the original owner, but the 2nd owner did not do a lot of heavy maintenance apart from oil changes and so. I got a lot of stuff done on it : all fluids done inc gearbox, oil pump, distribution, rear and front arms, shocks and airbags, valves, compressor , discs ...

But it seems to be on its original engine and turbos.

Before summer, It began popping default codes tied to the CSOV : (I have a Gap IIDtool)

P22D2-77(2F) - Turbocharger turbine inlet valve stuck open
P22CF-71 (2A) - Turbocharger turbine inlet valve control circuit - Open -Mechanical failure

so basically , getting the dreaded " restricted performance" when getting the engine to rev/in charge beyond 2800 rpm.

Reading A LOT of "desktop mechanic literature" , i.e spending my nights on forums and YouTube, I began trying to fix that damn issue...

A) first got the repair kit for the CSOV, and changed the vacuum operated actuator. No luck, still same behavior. I checked the vacuum lines but did not find anything obvious.

B) thinking the rest of the CSOV assembly went "bad" I went across all dealerships in france and found one guy that had that CSOV in stock, and got it shipped to me.

after having it changed (pretty straightforward procedure), I still have a code that is puzzling me :

P0033-00 (2F) Turbocharger/supercharger bypass valve control - circuit open.

I double checked, the electrical plug on the CSOV is in place.

What I've read online refers to a potential solenoid problem ???

And of course, while pushing hard over 3000rpm; it got back into restricted performance, showing the same 2 default codes as before.

I'm pretty disgusted, I love the car, and have a good use for it going in remote places in the Alps, but I'm getting really worried about its reliability (I also still have some suspension leaks despite having changed almost everything but the air tank...), especially as I think I'll be due at some point for a turbo overhaul, wonder how likely to get the original turbos beyond 300K kms.

Any good tip/insight welcome, before I decide to buy a Toyota... Laughing Laughing

Cheers,

Alex.

Post #23520301st Nov 2023 7:04 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Check the small vac pipe from the Plenum chamber is not loose also check that the Plenum chamber has not got any cracks in it. Its held on with one bolt. Check the vac pipes on top of the engine as well.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #23520391st Nov 2023 8:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alex_J

thanks ! will check ! any picture under hand of those elements , I am not familiar at all with vacuum systems

Post #23520411st Nov 2023 8:17 pm
Alex_J

Haven't been able to check the vacuum lines yet, it's been raining and even snowing forever...

Additional question for the experienced members, I've read that the solenoid driving the vacuum line can be faulty as well. ref of that solenoid is LR021929.

I don't want to keep throwing parts at it of course, but trying to get the most possible info.

Cheers,

Alex.

Post #23521082nd Nov 2023 5:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >