DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Creak from top of dashbaord
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
pompeyboy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Creak from top of dashbaord

Hi,
Since new (4 months old) my pride and joy has exhibited a 'creak' that eminates from the top-middle area of the leather-wrapped 'pad' that forms the top section of the dashboard/instrument panel. It'll make the noise from the slightest bump in the road sometimes. And, on a windy road, every right turn. Now my ears are tuned in to it, well, you know how annoying it can be.

Anyway, it's been back to the dealer a couple of times now and they haven't been able to sort it. It's a pain in the Censored each time due to distance from home/work and availability of a courtesy car. So I'd like to have a go at investigating it further myself.

I can actually make the top-middle area of the pad creak just by pushing on it with my fingers (towards the windscreen, but still on the leather). I reckon if I knew how to remove the pad I could locate the problem. Can anybody help here with instructions on how to remove the pad?

Fingers crossed.

Thanks Richard
 D4 SDV6 HSE, Fuji White  
Post #82094927th Jul 2011 11:51 am
lordoftheflatbush

Netherlands 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4
Same problem

Hi Richard,
I have the same problem. No idea what it can be, nor does the LR dealer.....
Anybody an idea what to do?

Post #8552404th Nov 2011 11:26 pm
pompeyboy

Turns out that removing the leather-wrapped pad on top of the dash is not straightforward (why was I not surprised?). I persevered with getting the dealer to try and fix the creak (fully acknowledged, by the way) and had to wait 4 weeks over the August shutdown period for a new VIN label from the UK. The VIN label visible through the windscreen is destroyed (by design) when the whole dash is removed - which is necessary to separate the 'pad' from the top.

Anyway, the dealer replaced the pad and for approx 3 weeks all was good. But now the dreaded creak has returned - and it's coming from the same old place. Annoying thing is, there are days when I take it out and it doesn't creak at all. It really does seem to depend on the weather conditions! Not happy!
 D4 SDV6 HSE, Fuji White  
Post #8563128th Nov 2011 11:38 am
Derroo

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Sadly it isn't a leather bound pad.. the dash is made up of three layers, a hard plastic form, foam and a thin plastic layer which is made to look like leather.

The entire dash is one piece as the three layers are lamintated together and painted prior to having the necesary holes punched out to receive the instrucment panel. Your dealer will not have replaced the pad but the entire dash if they did anything at all... more likely eased / tightened some of the retaining points

As you say the creak will come and go due to temperature as it is plastic and therefore explands and contracts

If its any consolation the Jaguar dash is made in exactly the same way

Post #8563638th Nov 2011 2:37 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

[quote="Derroo"]Sadly it isn't a leather bound pad.. the dash is made up of three layers, a hard plastic form, foam and a thin plastic layer which is made to look like leather.

Mine absorbs leather care stuff - which I assumed plastic would not?

Post #8564858th Nov 2011 6:03 pm
Derroo

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

It surprised me too, but having seen it being recycled I'm afraid it's definitely not leather

Post #8565498th Nov 2011 8:06 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Oh well, another illusion shattered - I suppose Father Christmas is not real either!
Seriously - I was wondering how it would stand up to strong sunlight - hence v.thin layer of gliptone
Wonder whether plastic will be less or more susceptible to fading?

Post #8566849th Nov 2011 8:30 am
ROYLANCE

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I too thought i had the same noise but on closer investigation turned out to be the passenger seat belt against the B post.
I get it now and again when the seat is unocupied and my lad has moved the seat forward and wound right up so he can see where were going, i could have sworn it was near the passenger mirror or dashboard area.
The only other slight noise thats bugging me is from behind the instrument cluster but until it get worse i'm gonna leave it.
 2007 RS4 Avant
Gone just when it was looking so good - 2010 HSE, Nara Bronze + RLD dogs danglies Sump PLate & spare wheel protector + Side Steps + Wiggs Remote Climate + 20" Genuine Stormers + Cooper LTZ Bad Boys + Landmark Black Gloss Grille & Vents + Black Gloss Door Handle Skins + Cubby fridge + Sliding Rear Loadspace 

Post #86020817th Nov 2011 7:46 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

i had a rattle / creek from my car thought it was the dash then thought it was coming from around the steering wheel very very annoying took it to dealers and turned out to be something to do with the sunroof common problem apparently they sorted it same day never creeked or groaned since may be worth asking the question
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #8674695th Dec 2011 9:24 pm
malky

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

This may sound (pun) silly, but I had a similar creak creak noise which turned out to be my sunglass case just touching on the underside ot the dashboard cover where it hangs over the open horizontal shelf above the glovebox.

material science
 +======
|[___][__\___
|...-........-.......| '0|
+--(O)-------(O)--+

TDI 300 and D3 MY06 SE and Shiraz D4 MY11 with Faerie Lites 

Post #8687569th Dec 2011 12:31 am
Robocop

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

That noise!! That noise!!! It's driving me mad. Having come from a 110 wagon with BF mud terrains I appreciate no stereo from time to time. Then the creaking starts & the stereo goes on again. It seems to go away when it's warm.

Post #8778592nd Jan 2012 6:21 pm
pompeyboy

Well now on my second replacement dash pad/panel and so far so good. Not celebrating just yet as the last one was ok for a while, but it really does seem more, well, solid. With the last two I could make it creak just by pressing on the pad behind the centre speaker. This one is as firm as and doesn't creak at all.
 D4 SDV6 HSE, Fuji White  
Post #88826525th Jan 2012 11:30 am
Odin

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I get the exact same problem but only when it's hovering around zero deg C so I think it's likely to be due to the construction of the material. A good whack to the middle section seems to help, or at least makes me feel better.

Post #88864325th Jan 2012 11:16 pm
TOMBIE

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

pompeyboy wrote:
Well now on my second replacement dash pad/panel and so far so good. Not celebrating just yet as the last one was ok for a while, but it really does seem more, well, solid. With the last two I could make it creak just by pressing on the pad behind the centre speaker. This one is as firm as and doesn't creak at all.

Which dealership did the work for you?

Did it occasionally sound like a "tap" or "click" as well as a creak?

Mines driving me nuts... Next service its getting fixed I hope!!!

cheers
Mike

Post #98018422nd Sep 2012 7:06 am
Matt R

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I had the same problem after a few months of D4 ownership.
Dealer very helpful - fully understood the problem and how it was caused.

The creak / crack noise from top of dash/ bottom of screen area turns out to be very common on D4s.
Apparently the cure involved removing the dashboard and wrapping some kind of self adhesive foam backed tape around the tubes that supply the air vents...

Lot of work for a small issue, but they did it under warranty and now it's perfect - no creaks, cracks or squeaks !!!

Post #98021122nd Sep 2012 8:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >