Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Crankshaft Position Sensor MY2012
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
daviesto

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Crankshaft Position Sensor MY2012

Has anyone changed or had changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 2012MY? The garage are currently debating whether it's a body off engine out job, so I'd really like someone to tell me it's not. The car is 16 days out of LR warranty....

Post #14978456th Jul 2015 5:10 pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Quote:
debating whether it's a body off engine out job

no....

Jist of it below from Topix without images, hope that helps.

NOTE: Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

1.WARNING: Make sure to support the vehicle with axle stands.

Raise and support the vehicle.
2.Refer to: Exhaust System (309-00A Exhaust System - TDV6 3.0L Diesel, Removal and Installation).
Refer to: Exhaust System (309-00A Exhaust System - TDV6 3.0L Diesel, Removal and Installation).
3.Position a container to collect the engine oil.
4.Refer to: Upper Arm (204-01 Front Suspension, Removal and Installation).

5.Torque: 9 Nm

6.Torque: 9 Nm
7.NOTE: Some variation in the illustrations may occur, but the essential information is always correct.

8.Torque: 32 Nm

9.NOTE: Remove and discard the gasket.

Torque: 10 Nm

10.NOTE: Remove and discard the gasket.

Torque: 10 Nm

12.CAUTION: Before the disconnection or removal of any components, make sure the area around joint faces and connections are clean. Plug any open connections to prevent contamination.

NOTES:

Engine shown removed for clarity.

The CKP sensor retaining bolt should not be removed from the CKP sensor.

Torque: 5 Nm

Installation

1.CAUTION: Install the CKP sensor correctly into the housing. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the CKP sensor.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
2.Check and top-up the engine oil.
 Send a paypal payment direct using this link https://paypal.me/duckworthparts

Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: [email protected]
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #14978486th Jul 2015 5:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
daviesto

Thank you. Very helpful. Does Topix have an estimate of how long that should take?

Post #14978576th Jul 2015 5:59 pm
daviesto

To close out this topic, and for those unfortunate enough to find themselves in similar circumstances...

We have today collected the car from Rovertune after nearly 3 weeks. In fairness to Rovertune, it was an unscheduled repair that needed special tooling and I can't fault their service.

The CKP sensor can be changed without removing the body, unfortunately our car fell in a VIN range that had a technical bulletin LTB00680 requiring the crankshaft trigger wheel to be replaced, and this did require the body to come off. Long and the short of it was about 8 hours of labour and £450 of parts.

There are two bits of good news. First, a good friend who lent us a replacement vehicle over the past 3 weeks. Second, must give a mention to Warranty Direct. When the CKP failure happened we were 14 days into a 3 year Luxury Care Policy. Rovertune contacted WD who agreed to settle the claim in full, so with the exception of a £50 excess and some sundries, I'm not out of pocket. Excellent and prompt service from Warranty Direct so Thumbs Up

Post #150564123rd Jul 2015 11:02 am
Rixy

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Interested to know more about that Technical Bulletin. Is it just if you have the CKP sensor changed?
I have a MY2012 just about to come out if warranty.

Post #150786428th Jul 2015 12:06 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

What symptoms did you have before changing it?
I know of a similar car 14 days out of warranty which intermittently stalls, but will restart immediately.
Regards
Steve

Post #150788028th Jul 2015 5:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
daviesto

Rixy, I can't comment on the technical bulletin as I didn't see it, but the guy at Warranty Direct told me is was only required when changing the CKP sensor on vehicles in a certain VIN range. Maybe someone with Topix access can confirm what it says.

SteveNorman, it would run fine, but then cut-out totally at random. Sometimes when idling, sometime on full chat. Sometimes it would start immediately, other times it would crank and not fire at all, but then would restart after a period of time (the RAC guy thought is was temperature related). On most occasions, you get a whole bunch of dash warnings once it cut out (EBD, HDC...) but these were simply because the engine had stopped running. I got lucky once when it stored a fault and the EML light came on, then I call the RAC to read the fault which came back as CKP sensor.

Post #150815028th Jul 2015 5:39 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the information

The chassis ranges Landrover suggest, if renewing the sensor it's advisable to renew the pick up ring.

D4: AA510178-CA652214
RRS: AA215623-CA759577

regards
Steve

Post #150915130th Jul 2015 3:26 pm
AndyCam

Ireland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I know that it is quite some time since this topic was raised but I have a late 2012 discovery 4 and I now have this problem. I have done a good bit of searching around and I didn't experience any of the warning signs associated with this problem.

I brought the vehicle to a garage I have been using for servicing since it was new and they informed me that the crankshaft position sensor needs to be replaced along with a trigger wheel (I have no idea what that is) I was also told that it would that 16 hours @ almost €85 an hour to replace it. The total bill with parts and labour is coming to almost €2300.

My 2 questions are. Is it just bad luck for a part like this to go on a 2012my discovery and secondly does the amount of labour and the over all cost to replace it seem quite high. Maybe this is standard fare but it a lot of money to have to shell out.

I look forward to people's thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Andrew

Post #16637025th Jun 2016 9:52 pm
daviesto

AndyCam, I think you've joined a growing number of owners who've had this failure. The trigger wheel (rotates with the crank and has markers on it that are sensed by the CKP sensor) is advised to be replaced only when the VIN falls between certain ranges. Opinion varies on this site, but I understand that while the CKP sensor itself can be changed without removing the body, the trigger wheel requires the body to come off. I had this repair done a year ago, and the full bill came to about £1200, and I think that included around 14 hours of labour @ £62 per hour. I would suggest therefore that the labour charges you are being quoted are reasonable but the parts cost seems high (maybe twice what I paid). There are some people who have inferred that LR might contribute to this repair outside the warranty period as a goodwill gesture, particularly if you have full main dealer history, so maybe get in touch with Customer Services and see what they say?

Post #16637856th Jun 2016 8:10 am
PaulD3

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My car is with dealer at the moment to investigate the ongoing airbag fault. I received a call to say that they would do a crankshaft sensor recall whilst they had it.
 Discovery 4 HSE Santorini Black 2012
Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector
Ex Discovery 4 HSE Santorini Black 2010
Ex Discovery 3 SE Java Black
Ex Discovery 3 S Silver 

Post #167154723rd Jun 2016 10:27 am
Duncan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Refund for those who have paid for CKP sensor replacement

In light of today's letter from JLR ref the P080 safety recall, is anyone thinking of claiming a refund if they have previously paid out for this work, and certainly if they have had the body off work done.
I had mine done 2 months back, both sensor and wheel, and didn't have to pay.
 When I die I want it to be in my sleep, like my Grandad ............ not screaming and shouting like his passengers!!  
Post #168001012th Jul 2016 3:54 pm
daviesto

I am in contact with LRCS with a view to reclaiming out-of-pocket expenses for a body off repair effected prior to the recall. No word yet on their position.

Post #168003012th Jul 2016 4:51 pm
Jasonb

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My 2012 D4 is booked in for P080 CKP recall in a couple of weeks. It had 69k on it when I bought it in May 2015 and now has 88k. Not had this issue so far, but could have happen to previous owner I suppose. Would LR recall the car automatically even if it was fix under warranty some time ago?

I remember reading something in Topix a while but LTB00680 bulletin seems to have disappeared.

The Recall suggests a 2.5 hour repair time and the dealer couldn't give me the details of the repair only saying its a pig of a job and the body does not come off.

Its clear the trigger wheel is not being replaced so now wondering if LR are doing "half a job" on the recall by only replacing the CKP or is this all that's really needed?

Post #168165317th Jul 2016 8:34 am
Jasonb

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Just had my service appointment to replace the Crank Sensor on Monday cancelled due to parts not being available.

Post #168576829th Jul 2016 8:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >