Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Crankshaft Failure - Your help required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

That’s very fair. Oval Auto’s have to cover the cost of investigation. I’m pretty sure that with the cost of things today, £1500 is the minimum you would expect to pay to have your engine removed, stripped, investigated and put back.

If they didn’t charge to investigate, and you decided you didn’t want to go ahead, then they would have to get costs incurred from you. Most people are honest and would pay, but it’s not good business sense to risk that.

Post #22401275th Jul 2021 6:05 pm
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Firstly it brings me confidence that Oval Autos have taken time to reply in detail.

Please understand that I am in no way saying or assuming Oval Autos are charlatans.

I have contacted many engine suppliers and rebuilders and so far in my experience I can see that some of these people are no way experts or have a engine ready to replace.

One guy said yes I have low milage engines and when I asked him what proof does he have the engine is a low milage or if engine has been recovered from a crashed vehicle; he put the phone down on me.

I also ask them about known problems with crankshaft and most dont know what the problem is.

I apologise in advance if I have caused offense, I will contact you today to maybe take things further.

Post #22403076th Jul 2021 12:38 pm
N5Fav

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Having recently investigated a problem on my 2.7 D3,
I found 1 piston that had a part of the side of a piston missing, and another piston on the way, I can reassure you that it is a good idea to have the injectors assessed.
The piston damage on mine could only have been done by poor injector spray.
Mind you it did mean I had to have a look at the crankshaft and caught the bearings with very marks on the big ends suggesting they had just begun to spin - might be down to oil dilution because of diesel getting past the piston, but never the less caught in time to rebuild my engine before it went bang.
 1994 Defender 300tdi 110 commercial
2007 Disco 2.7 XS Buckingham Blue
1959 Standard 10 Coffe & Cream
1974 Vauxhall Magnum 1800 estate Olivine Starfire Green
1994 Renault 19 Cabrio
1995 Kawasaki GPz 1100 

Post #22403526th Jul 2021 3:16 pm
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have today signed contract with Oval Autos to work on my Disco 4.

Joe from Oval Autos called me and he assured me that my car will be in safe hands and they are fair and honest.

I can see they are a family business and been in business for over 40 years and they have a excellent reputation. This was one of the key decisions in choosing them.

I will keep you all updated on this forum thread on how the works are progressing with my Disco 4.

Post #22403816th Jul 2021 5:00 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well done. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22403836th Jul 2021 5:01 pm
xyplex

An update

My car was taken to Oval Autos yesterday 25th July 2021.

I called Joe from Oval Autos last Thursday and he said I could bring the car up next day being Friday.

I arranged for car to be picked up by the RAC and a private company turned up on Friday midday but he said he was only taking the car 3 miles down the road to M1 service station and some other company would pick the car up from there, I said I am not releasing the car to him as this job is to deliver the car to Oval Autos in a single trip.
I got in touch with RAC and they said its a "Linked Delivery" meaning that several recovery companies will be involved in getting my vehicle to its destination. I said no-way I am going to allow this. Long story short they eventually agreed with me and they arranged for car to be deliverd in a single trip.

So yesterday (Sunday) same transport company (Saunders Recovery) that came out on Friday arrived 7:30am and delivered my car to Oval Autos. Saunders Recovery were great and took photos of my car once delivered and sent me them via text and email.

Spoke to Joe from Oval Autos this morning and he confirms car has arrived.

What I like about Oval Autos is that they do call back and are accomadating to ones requests.

Thank You Oval Autos.

Will keep you updated...

Post #224351926th Jul 2021 8:53 am
xyplex

Thank you Oval Autos !!!

Sorry people I should have updated much earlier.

Joe at Oval Autos rebuilt my engine and it was discovered that the crankshaft had in deed snaped. Joe says that the block + pistons + conrods are all good. Oval Autos are thorough as they found that one of my turbos was leaking and one injector was under performing, the turbo was rebuilt , injector replaced, head skimmed. I was pleased that Oval Autos balance all new camshafts prior to install.

While the car was in the workshop it was found the center propshaft bearing was broken and Joe replaced it with a GKN prop which GKN actually manufacture for Landrover.

I had some extra works done to the car which was not part of the engine rebuild.

I am so pleased that I took my car to Oval Autos and Joe is straight down to earth nice guy who is an expert on Landrovers and RangeRovers.

I have warranty for the works carried out.

I have had my Disco4 from new and now its drives smoother than when I first drove it home from the dealership.

I highly recommend if you have any works to be done (engine rebuild, servicing, etc) to your car then take it to Oval Autos.

Thank You Joe Bow down

Post #225825322nd Oct 2021 1:38 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nice update. Glad it went well and taking the advice on here paid off Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder