Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

How cr*p are the RAC!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CFB

United Kingdom 
How cr*p are the RAC!

My D1 conked out tonight about 3 miles from home with the whole clan aboard, rang RAC at 16:10, told around 60-90 mins wait. 3 hours later and they still aren't here and now reckon 4 hours minimum wait tonight due to freezing weather FFS

Thankfully it wasn't far from home so my Dad came and picked me up and the Disco is left behind.

Not impressed Sad
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #57094628th Dec 2009 8:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I thought they had a response time of less than 1 hour when the call out involved women and children? To be fair though Andy with conditions on the roads it's likely they are pretty busy. Is this the same D1 you were selling a couple of weeks back? Do you know what's wrong with it?
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #57096728th Dec 2009 9:08 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

RAC are Tosh TBH, I did have Home/Relay/Recovery and when I broke down at home the relay is only upto 40miles, which meant I would have to pay the mileage after(no LR dealers that close). If you break down on the road then its recovery anywhere.

So I am now with the AA

Post #57097028th Dec 2009 9:13 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

No restriction on recovery miles when at home with the AA Thumbs Up

Post #57097428th Dec 2009 9:17 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Just got sorted (not the D1 I was selling, that has gone), no feed to fuel pump so temp repair done off the side-light circuit.
Post #57099028th Dec 2009 9:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Or with my RAC cover, was recovered from Cambletown to Grantown with no issues, could have been recovered anywhere in the UK.

Post #57099128th Dec 2009 9:51 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Over the last 20 years, RAC have performed consistently better than the AA, the restriction on recovery from home address is to prevent abuse of the membership, if you have the level of cover that used to be called 'Reflex' then your PIM should be able to authorise vehicle recovery to the nearest franchised dealer (note nearest, not your choice) with no issues, the issue the RAC have is that most recoveries need to be issued to contractors who will operate within the framework without considering your needs or recourse to the dispatch ops. as this will slow things down for the contractor and reduce their productivity & profitability....

Post #57108529th Dec 2009 12:29 am
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Over the last 20 years, RAC have performed consistently better than the AA.

Where did you get this info from Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

The RAC have been loosing alot of BIG contracts so can't be peforming that well Confused

Post #57133829th Dec 2009 8:25 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The AA have been undercutting to get the motorman contracts, takeover of the Vauxhall contract in the 90's nearly bankrupted the AA in non-compliance penalties, let's hope they've learnt some lessons and get their act together with the takeover of LRA - although I doubt it Rolling Eyes

Post #57135329th Dec 2009 8:47 pm
SN

Like most things, everyones experience varies - I have been an AA member for over 20 years and NEVER had an issue with response times or fault fixing - they even transported me, my Ford Cortina and my passengers all the way back from London to Stockport on the back of wagon once ... errm... just before I joined as it happens - but thats another story Embarassed
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #57135729th Dec 2009 8:53 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have been in the RAC for about 20 years. In that time I have never had a problem with their callout response time, and they have always sorted out the problem or recovered me without question.

Post #57154130th Dec 2009 12:43 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Well I am still largely unimpressed despite everything, 4 hours to wait in temps near freezing is not acceptable. Then when the chap arrived his torch was flat so he had no light and he spent the 1st 15 mins checking all the plug and coil leads which I told him I had already double checked. After more head scratching he though it could be a fuelling problem but didn't know where to start so suggested he call a recovery truck Evil or Very Mad

I showed him where the fuel pump inspection hatch was in the boot floor and low & behold, no feed to it. He ended up rigging a temp feed off the side light circuit to get me going but that was as much as he was able/willing to do.

Since getting it home I have found a rusty fuel cut-off inertia switch to be the likely cause but it seems his temp fix has blown the fuel pump relay now as the power was feeding back to it, off to the dealers for the bits and guess what, they don't stock a fuel pump relay which is a bog-standard 5 pin 30A FFS Big Cry
Post #57168530th Dec 2009 3:07 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Land Rover Assist sent the AA to me in my D4 (Reduced Performance red warning triangle) and they arrived within 30 mins having allowed themselves 50 mins. Sadly their diagnostics machine only had up to 2009 year models so no error log found.
But being a Landie at heart, the D4 fixed itself, the error disappeared and I drove 200 miles home without further event.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #57169830th Dec 2009 3:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >