DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Cow Juice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Apny

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Cow Juice

Hi all,

Just standing back admiring the D3 the other day, thinking shes got new boots, new shoes all round, shes had a wash and wax. 35K on the clock nearly 4 years of good faithfull motoring, then the nightmare has begun..

SWMBO, in her usual rush, placed said item of you finest full pint of Milk in the back and rushed of to her shop. The milk spilt not just a dribble but the whole Censored pint. It run through the 3rd row into the second and under the drivers seat. Not on top of the lovely clean carpets but underneathI cleaned it as much as i could.

The next few days have been the waiting game, this morning the waiting finaly stopped and there it was waiting for me this morning when the doors were opened. I nearly vomited at the smell Big Cry Big Cry . What can i do other than remove all the seats and replace the entire carpets.

Help

Andy

Post #6988461st Oct 2010 11:35 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You need to get rid of the bacteria. Theres some good solutions that can be used, but it will need to be properly soaked I'm afraid....

There's some posts on here to get rid of it, if you search for bacteria, yoiu should find some useful info Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #6988481st Oct 2010 11:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

Saturated solution of water as hot as you can stand it and Bicarb of Soda - works on vomit, so should work on milk - used on carpets - not sure about seats - especially if leather
Good luck - I hate carrying milk in the car

Post #6988491st Oct 2010 11:55 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You need one of these

Click image to enlarge

Then when you've finished with SWMBO, you can attack the D3.

Laughing
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #6988501st Oct 2010 11:56 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

sprinkle baking soda over it and leave for a few days
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #6988511st Oct 2010 11:57 am
A1GSS

England 

Could try claiming on your home contents insurance. If you've got accidental damage cover they might cover the cost of professional cleaning. Worth a phone call, anyway?
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #6988641st Oct 2010 12:21 pm
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Not sure if itr will work, but when I usedto deliver fish to market in Holland, sometimes instead of returning with fish used to bring bake veg the Dutch used to spread custerd powder in the back of the truck killed the smell of fish, very quikly worth a try. Thumbs Up
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #6988671st Oct 2010 12:24 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Vinegar and water in a spray, 50/50 mix ala Richard Bacons 'help'.
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #6988821st Oct 2010 1:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Vinegar worked for me. Spilt milk on the back seat. Went through the seat, poured vunegar on it and washed through with water. No smell since.

PS use white vinegar not Medena Laughing
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6988931st Oct 2010 1:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Autosmart Biobrisk is supposed to be good for milk

Also read this once about the dog pee cleaner you can get working

Quote:
Go to a pet shop and get an enzyme cleaner which is supposed to be used for when dogs p155 on carpets. Apparently the enzymes in the spray "eat" the proteins which cause the smell.

I went on holiday years ago and I'd left a full 4 pint bottle of milk in the back of the evo. The car was stuck in the garage for a fortnight while I was away. Upon my return I was desperate to take the car for a blast. Got home, jumped in the car and was almost instantly sick. The milk had turned to a thick creamy cheesy like substance and had swollen up and popped the lid off the bottle. It had spilled out on to the mat and then started to soak through onto the carpet.

I tried everything, almost all the upholstery cleaners halfords had to offer, baking powder / bicarbonate of soda , wet vac , carpet cleaner and a professional valeting outfit. NONE of which could remove the smell. I then tried the enzyme cleaner from the pet shop and it worked a treat.

Post #6988951st Oct 2010 1:39 pm
Apny

Thanks for advice chaps,

First thing, ive calmed down now but the smell has not. Another thing i did mention was the exact amount of cup holders that there are in the D3 and how to use them.

First thing tomorrow will be the Vinegar, if that does not work it will be the pet shop enzyme stuff, now going to check car and home insurance as i have a feeling it may be a seats out and carpet replacement

Andy

Post #6992332nd Oct 2010 6:47 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If the tips mention here fail then I would get a local valeter in to have a go - they'll tell you whether they will be able to get rid of it or not, and chances are they will be able to!

better than trying to claim on house/car insurance or buying a new interior.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #6992372nd Oct 2010 7:02 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Reading this brings tears to my eyes.

Tears of horror and tears of mirth.

Horror because off-milk is one of the two worst aromas I can think of.

Mirth as I recall getting one over a group of US special forces - they had been told to keep their BA with them at all times and didn't think we would hit the canteen. Our lot were prepared for "gas, GAS, GAS", but the Yanks - our lot nearly died laughing as Yanks were gagging and barfing on all sides (canteen crew were in on it so had their BA at the ready)
The real killer was the Major in command of the canteen who stood on a table in full uniform, with his BA on, and told the Yanks not to be such a bunch of shirt lifters - if his boys could stand it why couldn't trained American thugs......
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #6992402nd Oct 2010 7:09 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Hi

If its any consolation I know how you feel and Im in a very good position to help you Ive run a professional valeting business as part of my companies portfolio for 20 years so as per other posts I would take this course of action

1 clean the interior with a hot water extraction system you can hire these
2 locate all the spillage
3 unbolt the seats and get under the carpet if its went through, if there is foam under the carpet bin it and get new stuff there is no way to clean it as its rubber based,it lets liquid in but not out.
4 Strip the carpet and foam and check to see if its went through to the ribbed flooring if it has clean and wipe it making sure you have located every bit of milk.
5 Spray enzyme detergent on everything that the milk has touched and keep damp for 24 hrs then reclean and flush
any remainder of the enzyme detergent out with clean hot soapy water

Best of luck as it dosnt always work it is one of the hardest smells to eradicate I used to do this for the supermarkets when they had a customer with a dodgy pint of milk

cheers [/b]

Post #6992922nd Oct 2010 8:41 pm
Apny

Update,

It's going to be an Insurance job. Seats out carpets replaced. The front carpet goes right up under the dash and finishes about level with the heater controls. So the dash is coming out.
NFU insurace £100 excess. Approximate value of work........£2200 Shocked Going into landrover for this work as the wiring looms and controls for the pyros on the seats and airbags are under the carpet all that is being checked. Hopefully regain that new car smell Very Happy

Andy

Post #6999485th Oct 2010 8:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >