Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

copious smoke coming out of passenger side of bonnet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gavinp

copious smoke coming out of passenger side of bonnet

Sometimes when you pull up, smoke comes out of the passenger side of the discovery's bonnet. I think it's normally after a long run, ie when the engine is hot, and it is difficult to replicate when it's been idle for a while.

It's about 14-16 degrees at the moment, so not the pre-heater, and when you pop the hood, it looks like it is coming from deeper down inside the passenger side of the engine. Definitely a smell like burning oil (is that diesel?) with a white smoke.

Land Rover assist had a look and found no problem.

Is it a fuel leak problem? What's down in that side of the engine bay?

Thanks

G

Post #16748216th Jun 2007 7:47 pm
DrLex

Iceland 
Re: copious smoke coming out of passenger side of bonnet

gavinp wrote:
...so not the pre-heater..G

Welcome, Gavin.

It does sound like the pre-heater, although as you state, it shouldn't be operating at the current temperatures - did you touch it to see whether it was hot? [Warning: don't burn yourself when checking; diesel fumes are preferable to the smell of burnt flesh...]
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #16749516th Jun 2007 8:48 pm
gavinp

The smoke was coming from deep in the engine bay (kind of down the passenger side gap, where you can see the heat shields).

Is the pre-heater the little tin can in the front passenger side of the bay? If the pre-heater does smoke, wouldn't it come from there, rather than down in the engine bay? Does the pre-heater only get hot from it's own operation?

I love this car, but Stratstone have clearly not done a very good job of the pre-delivery check. They nearly let me drive away without a spare wheel! And the undertray to the rear of the front wheels was hanging off with clearly a botch repair evident on one of the fixing points.

Thanks for you help.

g

Post #16749816th Jun 2007 9:06 pm
gavinp

forgot to say there is a fluid dripping onto the floor, that is leaving an oil like stain, not all the time (ie you can't sit there watching a drip drip drip!).

Post #16750016th Jun 2007 9:10 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

gavinp wrote:
The smoke was coming from deep in the engine bay (kind of down the passenger side gap, where you can see the heat shields).

Is the pre-heater the little tin can in the front passenger side of the bay? If the pre-heater does smoke, wouldn't it come from there, rather than down in the engine bay? Does the pre-heater only get hot from it's own operation?

forgot to say there is a fluid dripping onto the floor, that is leaving an oil like stain, not all the time (ie you can't sit there watching a drip drip drip!)
g

The pre-heater is the little tin can on the RHS at the front in the engine bay and the metal & plastic block to its left. The exhaust pipe exits just fore of the front near-side wheel, so it's possible that when the car is stationary, the fumes could rise up through the engine bay. It can get warm from proximity to the engine, but will be noticeably hot when in operation (or soon after).

What the fluid is and how worried you should be will depend on where exactly it's coming from. As you mention staining, it's unlikely to be the air-condititioning condensate. Post back with details, but I will defer commenting to a more knowledgeable member. It could be a little while as most of them have gone off to Rockingham to the adventure weekend.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #16750116th Jun 2007 9:31 pm
gavinp

Just lifted the bonnet again. The can was cold, but the block (with the black end caps) was hot. Not burning hot but, 10 secs then take your fingers of because it hurts hot. Car was turned off at 6.20pm, it's now nearly 10pm so about 4 hrs for it to have called down. That may indicate it was really hot (not just engine bay hot) earlier on.

Very useful news about the exhaust exit for the heater - I thought it exited right in front of the block, but I see that is now the air intake (it has a filter) and the exhaust must be the pipe the goes into the can and then down. Is it possibe to see the exit of this exhaust or is it hidden?

I'll run it tomorrow specifically looking for the heater to get hot hot. Is this a common problem? Easily fixed by me? Loose wire or water ingress issue (it was raining today)?

Much much appreciated.

g

Post #16751216th Jun 2007 10:03 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

The problem with the heater (or fuel-burning heater) is not unknown - see this thread or do a search for 'fbh'. Seems it might be a duff sensor or a software issue (or perhaps a combination of the two)
You might want to pull a fuse to render it defunct until the dealer can sort it or at least check the fire damage clause of your insurance. The manual lists the location of the fuses in the panel behind the lower glove box. Be warned - they're a beast to get in and out unless you have forceps or lady's fingers.

The exhaust is readily visible - just crouch down by the nearside front wheel and look to the front - you should see the exhaust pipe and the surrounding heat shield.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #16753016th Jun 2007 10:28 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well the FBH will be hot anyway as the engine coolant runs through it, doesn't it?

You could put your hand in front of its exhaust in under the wheelarch (no need to lift the bonnet) to see if you can feel a flow of air from it while the engine is running.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #16754016th Jun 2007 10:48 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You could try pulling the fuse for the FBH to see if the problem continues?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #16754316th Jun 2007 10:52 pm
gavinp

bkehoe wrote:
Well the FBH will be hot anyway as the engine coolant runs through it, doesn't it?

I wondered if that was the case.

I'll stick my hand in front of the exhaust tomorrow. And was going to whip the fuse out as well.

In case that isn't the problem, anyone know what pipes if any, most probably with fuel, run on the nearside of the engine bay (ie which could drip onto those heat shields/manifolds below)?

g

Post #16754516th Jun 2007 10:57 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

bkehoe wrote:

Agreed; I should have been specific about which bit - the 'tin can' was what I was referring to, which only warms through conduction when the fbh is not working.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #16758517th Jun 2007 9:34 am
gavinp

OK, this is not the pre-heater. I can see where that exits and it's not that. I suspect this is a fuel leak somewhere.

g

Post #16758917th Jun 2007 11:14 am
gavinp

After mucking around with Assist, the passenger side foremost injector feed pipe joint is leaking. A little pool of diesel then forms, and when you drive around this sloshes onto the manifold below. Can't be tightened anymore so maybe cross threaded.

Car being carted back to the dealer in 45mins...crappy hire car no doubt on the way.

Great start to our life with a Disco!

Thanks for everyone's help.
g

Post #16761317th Jun 2007 4:19 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

gavinp wrote:
... but Stratstone...
which one? That could be your biggest problem Rolling Eyes The End  
Post #16766617th Jun 2007 9:42 pm
gavinp