Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Continental Cross Contact AT - Tell me why not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Continental Cross Contact AT - Tell me why not?

AT2's are the tyre of choice. I get that. Good tyre. However, I do like the look of the continentals. Can anyone tell me the goods and bads of these tyres, both on road wet, and off road. I have searched the web, cannot really find any quality reviews, so thought I would return to the font of all knowledge, here.

Thanks, Matthew

<*(((<<  
Post #37912526th Nov 2008 4:08 am
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

They're new so not many reviews. Look the part though....

Post #37924126th Nov 2008 1:00 pm
mtb

I have has one seller tell me unofficially that they come from the same factory. This is unconfirmed but....
 HSE TDV6 Silver. Roof rails, Adaptive lights, electronic diff. Now its time to add a few extra bits..... Dual Battery setup, Rhino Roof Racks, UHF / VHF radio, ARB bar and winch, custom storage..by me ... Now trying some Grabber AT2's.  
Post #37966927th Nov 2008 2:36 am
White Disco

Australia 

Thumbs Up . You're right Mathew, they do look good.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #37967027th Nov 2008 3:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Continental own General.

Post #37968427th Nov 2008 7:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mtb

Andy - have you had any feed-back as regards these two products? The Conti and the Grabber AT²??
 HSE TDV6 Silver. Roof rails, Adaptive lights, electronic diff. Now its time to add a few extra bits..... Dual Battery setup, Rhino Roof Racks, UHF / VHF radio, ARB bar and winch, custom storage..by me ... Now trying some Grabber AT2's.  
Post #37968727th Nov 2008 7:58 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

The General AT2 is a great tyre and suits the U.K. and Europe 100%, it should work well for you boys "down under" too. Thumbs Up

The Conti is not available as of today in the U.K., maybe in time. looks nice though. Thumbs Up

I bet it's nice and warm down there ! Rolling with laughter

All the best

Andy.

Post #37974127th Nov 2008 10:56 am
mtb

Thanks Andy.

Sadly we have had unseasonably cool weather lately here on the east coast - hopefully it will warm up soon.

Have you any knowledge of comparative puncture resisitance of these products??

regards

m
Post #38013328th Nov 2008 12:14 am
russgs

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mtb wrote:
Thanks Andy.

Sadly we have had unseasonably cool weather lately here on the east coast - hopefully it will warm up soon.

m

O/T yup, that'll be the climate change/global warming shenanigans again Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

bit like having snow in London during October!
 2006 D3 HSE
2004 BMW R1200GS <-- it's a two-wheeled disco Smile
2008 Suzuki Splash (sick of my D3 being wasted on the school run) 

Post #38101029th Nov 2008 11:19 pm
jeff66

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

So which tyre do I buy, I have three options all 18 inch and AT style. But very little info on all three tyres.

General Grabber AT2 255/60/R18 (112H) $469.00 each
Or
Continental Cross Contact AT 255/60/R18 (112V) $426.00 each
Or
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60/R18 (112H) $396.00 each
 ATACAMA SAND SE ,V6 PETROL, AUTO ,WINDOW TINT ,SIDE STEPS, SPORTS ROOF RACKS, ARB BULLBAR, KAYMAR REAR BUMPER TWIN TYRE, HID SPOTLIGHTS, TX3540 RADIO, ICOM 400PRO, GPS, DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM, MITCHELL BROS TOW HITCH.  
Post #38789414th Dec 2008 1:29 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I'd say they're priced about right and go for the first - but then I don't live in 'Strilia.

I need (and get) mud Very Happy , wet grass Sad and snow Mr. Green traction, not 'rooproofness or scorpon resistance Whistle

Seriously, LOVE the AT2s
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #38789714th Dec 2008 1:46 am
jeff66

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

All the tyre shops I have spoken to only recommend the one that they sell, except one tyre supplier who sells the both the General Grabber AT2 and the Cross Contact AT. He recommended the Cross Contact AT.
 ATACAMA SAND SE ,V6 PETROL, AUTO ,WINDOW TINT ,SIDE STEPS, SPORTS ROOF RACKS, ARB BULLBAR, KAYMAR REAR BUMPER TWIN TYRE, HID SPOTLIGHTS, TX3540 RADIO, ICOM 400PRO, GPS, DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM, MITCHELL BROS TOW HITCH.  
Post #38790214th Dec 2008 2:55 am
Getafix

Went out today with a bunch of D3's + lots of other landrovers of different shapes and sizes. We have had horrendous weather over the last two days, so quite wet. All the other D3's (several with active diffs - not mine unfortunatly) had AT2's, I have the continentals. The continentals did everything the AT's did, very comfortably. I was running them at 24 psi. They kept reasonable shape at this pressure. No damage to the tyres (too bad about a couple of scratches on the alloys Big Cry .) One hill we went up was a bit slippy at one spot, (a D2 got caught up at first run) and I reckon I went up the slowest by far out of all the other vehicles through this stretch. Minimal slip happening - easy Whistle . This made me think the tyres were definately doing their job. Thumbs Up Very happy with their performance today in the clayie (is that a word) slippy stuff. When we went down one hill. (quite steep) the tyres got "filled" with mud so they became quite slick. However, I looked at all other tyres there, even some defender type quite rugged tyres, and every tyre was clagged up too. So didn't feel too bad about that.

Overall, in general driving, I believe the continentals are quieter than the AT2's by a smidge (please don't hold me to that, just the conversation I was having with others today) and moving from the wranglers, I have had no issue with the tyre volume at any speed. I have found the continentals a touch slippy in cornering in the wet when pushed quite hard, however, I am afraid I cannot comment on the AT2's in this aspect. No scary moments however at all. (I would not have cornered the wranglers at that speed in the wet, so may not be a helpful comment). Definately lots of spray at freeway speeds. I presume that means they have no danger of aquaplaning?

I have no idea how they will wear, I am told the AT2's will do better? Not sure how people can say this when the tyre is so new.

The ratings on the continental are traction A, wear 660, and temperature B. They definately run warmer at freeway speeds than the wranglers. My tyre dog pressure/temp monitor has the temp at about 100 (presume that is not celcius Shocked ) Wranglers used to run at about 70.

Not being an expert as this is my first AT ever, please take my praise with a grain of salt as the voice of inexperience. Am I happy with the continentals - definately Thumbs Up

Just a note - mine are rated at 112T not V!
 <*(((<<  
Post #38793914th Dec 2008 10:39 am
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

jeff66 wrote:
So which tyre do I buy, I have three options all 18 inch and AT style. But very little info on all three tyres.

General Grabber AT2 255/60/R18 (112H) $469.00 each
Or
Continental Cross Contact AT 255/60/R18 (112V) $426.00 each
Or
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60/R18 (112H) $396.00 each

You can also get the 18" Cooper Zeon LTZs for Oz$395: see here http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/67274-co...post870459

Post #38830215th Dec 2008 11:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >