DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Compressor. Refresh or replace?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Paulc2017

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Compressor. Refresh or replace?

Thoughts please folks.
Had an extremely intermittent C1A20-64 fault over months and I’ve not been tempted to fix as it’s not been a problem, but it time to finally get around to it.

I’ve seen the replacement end caps that seem to be a problem, am going to leak test it first but assuming I find that to be at fault I’m consider whether to get a rebuild kit and go through that hassle about £80 or go for a entire aftermarket ‘hitachi type’ compressor so it new end to end..

Just checking if anyone has a view on pros or cons of repairing the original or swapping with new aftermarket. Possibly goes without saying but don’t fancy 600 got LR brand new

Thanks

Post #235290612th Nov 2023 11:01 pm
Pimpintgepidge

When I was getting the faults I changed everything on the pump that I could but still ended up buying a new compressor. I did get a genuine one though, they are expensive. Do the copy compressors get good reviews?
 2015 D4 HSE Loire Blue  
Post #235303414th Nov 2023 6:24 am
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It might not be the compressor:

https://imgur.com/oPR4O7S

Post #235303514th Nov 2023 7:27 am
Pimpintgepidge

You’re right it can be a number of things. I started with cleaning and changing the seals in the valve blocks, they certainly needed doing anyway and serviced the compressor. I was still getting the error code then I took a chance and changed the compressor as my local garage mentioned the compressor seemed slow to lift compared with others. It seemed to rise in steps if that makes sense and with the new compressor I goes up in one sweep. I also checked values using iid tool.
 2015 D4 HSE Loire Blue  
Post #235303614th Nov 2023 8:22 am
Mike_Pax

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I bought the full rebuild kit c/w with alloy end etc to rebuild the original Hitachi Unit on my 2010 D4....the kit is still sat in the workshop as the old one when i started to dismantle was just too far gone to rebuild. I ended up buying a genuine replacement compressor....I've heard too many stories of the 'copies' failing after a few months, life's too short to be doing it again in the near future. The original had lasted me over 150k miles so if i get anywhere near that out of the new one I've fitted.....I'll be well happy Very Happy

Post #235304714th Nov 2023 9:48 am
Paulc2017

Admirable wrote:
It might not be the compressor:

https://imgur.com/oPR4O7S

Thanks. Good point. I have checked intake and nothing around it in the boot. Seems to happen more frequently on a cold day which is leading me down the mechanical route.

Post #235306014th Nov 2023 11:42 am
Paulc2017

Mike_Pax wrote:
I bought the full rebuild kit c/w with alloy end etc to rebuild the original Hitachi Unit on my 2010 D4....the kit is still sat in the workshop as the old one when i started to dismantle was just too far gone to rebuild. I ended up buying a genuine replacement compressor....I've heard too many stories of the 'copies' failing after a few months, life's too short to be doing it again in the near future. The original had lasted me over 150k miles so if i get anywhere near that out of the new one I've fitted.....I'll be well happy Very Happy

Understand. The first bit I made sure (checked yesterday) it’s the amk version so not end cap issue. I’ve got a new seal kit etc from s8r, only 50 quid. Looks pretty simple to do and if it fixes it happy days. If not, as you say, might go original.

Thanks for your feedback

Post #235306114th Nov 2023 11:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >