Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Complete Power loss followed by Hard Reset
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DISCOSK8

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Complete Power loss followed by Hard Reset

Hi, I went to start my D3 (08 HSE 2.7 TD Auto) this morning, turned the ignition on and the system went through its checks without any issues, went to crank the engine and ALL electrical systems failed, nothing would work, could not shift the auto out of park, no radio, clock, warning lights, door locks, everything was dead. Tried a couple of times but with no success. I got out, closed the doors and tried to lock them with the remote control, nothing. I tried using the manual key to lock the car, only the passenger door would lock. Got back in car, put the key in the ignition and everything came back to life except everything had been reset. The car is no working as if nothing had happened. This is the second time this has happened, the first time was in November, the fix was similar except in this case the key fob caused the doors to lock and open, I then had the Hard reset syndrome.

I have no idea what is happening and why this should happen, there are no similarities in circumstances apart from starting the car, this first time this happened the car had been stationary with the engine off for half an hour. Today was the first time I had used the car since Dec 22nd.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Post #18976494th Jan 2018 11:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Idea Battery terminals clean & tight??

Post #18976544th Jan 2018 11:28 pm
DISCOSK8

Hi Biffysun, I believe so - I will check them again in the morning. It had a new battery about 18 months ago and I have not done anything to it since then, but I will check. Thanks.

Post #18976614th Jan 2018 11:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DISCOSK8

Hi, sorry for the delayed information, The negative terminal although done up was not seated correctly, and could be moved, it’s now firmly attached. Not sure how this would lead to the symptoms described as the vehicle was stationary and the engine was not turning over. Will have to wait and see if it happens again. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup

Post #189954610th Jan 2018 8:07 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Idea Just theorising but when you go to crank the engine, the power draw is much greater and could cause the battery lead if loose, to arc/lose contact thus resulting in no battery power and systems resetting, seen similar conditions in older cars so its possible. If it is the 'fault' its a cheap fix and that can't be bad! Thumbs Up

Post #189970010th Jan 2018 3:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >