DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Colours of car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Colours of car

OK ,
APART from Black and Silver what colours seem popular and what ones don't?
How many have 'Look at me' Red or 'buisness like' Grey or the rarer Atacama Sand?
What about the new colours for the MY07 models versus the older colours; Maya Gold versus Atacama Sand, different Bonetti versus Stornoway Grey and Adriatic versus Lugano (Teal) Blue?
 regards
Peter

Post #1264602nd Feb 2007 12:14 am
SN

Buckingham Blue is popular - its only just NOT black, when its dirty (as mine is all the time) its difficult to tell. When its clean and shiny it looks excellent.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #1264652nd Feb 2007 12:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Interesting!
Australia doesn't get Buckingham Blue. we have Cairns Blue and Lugano teal and the older (pre MY07) Adriatic Blue.
 regards
Peter

Post #1264672nd Feb 2007 12:20 am
catweasel

I think you will find and rightly so that white seems to be popular and looks real smart, but then what would I know Whistle

Post #1264722nd Feb 2007 12:32 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm afraid I have to agree with CW here Embarassed but the sun makes a difference on how colour is perceived.

Post #1264752nd Feb 2007 12:42 am
catweasel

what I don't understand is if silver is so popular over there then why is'nt white (not far from silver) more common Question

Post #1264772nd Feb 2007 12:45 am
fisherman

Wales 

I went to buy my D3 with the intention of getting a Java Jobbie, but when I arrived at the showroom they had 8 D3's to choose from. Considering that the cars had all been cleaned and polished and were ready to sell themselves to prospective customers, I couldn't help noticing the swirl marks on the black models in the bright sunlight. I really wanted black but they all (5) had the same look. There were 2 Bonatti grey and a blue also on show, which looked good. My choice eventually came down to one car, it just looked so right and stood out amongst the pack. I don't really know what it was that made me choose the Bonatti grey but the way it sat and the overall look just rang my bell. I walked around the black ones again to see if anything stirred my wallet but came back to the grey one again. It won my heart there and then, and within an hour the deal was done and I'd spent more money than I intended on a colour I didn't want and I love it unconditionally! Still love the look of the black, but love my one just a bit more.

And I thought that Permagrin was just a joke. Little did I know! Very Happy
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #1264792nd Feb 2007 12:50 am
Dave

United Kingdom 

Grey works for me too when I daydream of getting a FL2 for her so I can have the D3 back Twisted Evil

On that note Fisherman I think that colour choice can sometimes be dictated by:

a. The ones that are all sparkly in the showroom
b. The Dealer!!!!!
Is that not the same thing!

I requested to see a cairns blue in the flesh at two dealers before buying before buying from a third - neither of the first two came up with the goods, both said how "adaptable" "resaleable" "suiting" "doesnt show the dirt" silver was - guess what colour they had in the showroom!

Anyway rung round and drove a long way to see the cairns in the flesh Cairns Blue and glad I did Very Happy

Last edited by Dave on 2nd Feb 2007 1:09 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1264822nd Feb 2007 1:08 am
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

catweasel wrote:
what I don't understand is if silver is so popular over there then why is'nt white (not far from silver) more common Question

'cos the white ain't metallic, and to have a posh car, you've got to have metallic paint which costs more!

The practicalities of life don't enter into the British/European psyche that much!!! (from a kind of external point of view) Apart from which, if everyone's got a silver one, why the hell would I want one Question Question (I need a hard hat emoticon now, I think)

Of course, I think white is the best possible colour ...

Post #1264832nd Feb 2007 1:08 am
fisherman

Wales 

The sparkly one in the showroom was a black one and it looked just stunning. Not a mark on it , the paintwork looked liquid. The dealer was told to leave me alone to look at the cars as I didn't want to be swayed by some psycobabble. I had spent some time researching the model and came to my decision on the day because the car looked so right to me. It wasn't any outside factor, just my heart telling me that this was the car for me. The only differences I can think of were the external extra's fitted such as mirror caps, light guards and side rails as opposed to steps. The mix of these extra's must have attracted me (although I didn't initially like the mirror caps) and gave the car it's stand out looks amongst the others.
And I have had black cars before and know how much work is involved in their upkeep, never had a grey car before. May have been the difference.
Whatever the reason I'm so happy with it I could burst!
Thumbs Up
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #1265322nd Feb 2007 8:43 am
Alex08

Scotland 

And then the Bonatti was discontinued......Why? It was one of the nicest colours.

Post #1265482nd Feb 2007 9:41 am
GLYNNE

England 

Idea Wasn't John major portrayed as being grey Question

Post #1265492nd Feb 2007 9:51 am
Lakeland Land Rover

United Kingdom 

I am a big Fan of Arctic Frost and Atacama Sand, but noone else here is and they think i am nuts,

if any one has a S spec or above in either colour sub £20K for sale let me know The Mrs quite likes em as well Rolling Eyes
 Lakeland Land Rover
The Garage,
Torver,
Coniston,
Cumbria,
LA21 8BJ
Tel: 015394 41888 

Post #1265502nd Feb 2007 9:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've got lovely lovely Java.
BUT I was seriously tempted with Bonatti, not too dark, not too light, just about right. Went to find one and all they had was Stornaway as Bonatti had been discontinued..... Evil or Very Mad
Stornaway's not a bad colour, but just wasn't my cup of tea. & if it had been, it would have been one of those herbal lemongrass insipid flavours you get........... Whistle

Seriously, all colours look great to the individual when choosing, as has been said before "It's a D3, 'nough said!"
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1265522nd Feb 2007 9:58 am
kevi

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

arctic frost i think is the best colour ,not too light and not too dark , and depending on the light can seem to be silver or light blue , even light green Laughing
 Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

2 Too many seats now
No trouble so far
tow pack, tasmods sills
IT goes without saying that you should never have more children than you have car windows 

Post #1267102nd Feb 2007 5:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >