Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Coil sprung disco 3???????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Big Muddy Pete

England 
Coil sprung disco 3???????

Hello all. new to this site but thought id give it a go and see if i can get some pointers!
Im looking to buy a D3 and was wondering what everyone thought to the coil sprung version instead of the air sprung as my local dealer had one up for sale! Am i right in assuming i will get less problems with this than the air? Any thoughts and comments and general help in buying would be great! Cheers, Pete.[/b]

Post #3077727th Jun 2008 11:49 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Welcome to the SIte BigMuddyPete.

There are a couple of people who have coilers on here, & you can get a lift for them as well that rises it almost to the height of the air suspension version.

TBH, I'd ONLY ever go for the air sprung one, unless you were planning on being in the middle of Africa for a long time.
Air Sprung + the Terrain Response settings make for a truly terrific on and off road vehicle.

You can get an airsprung one for 17k no problem. All the coilers are pretty much very base models, but depends what your budget is really. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3077747th Jun 2008 11:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Coiler was only ever made in base spec, 5 seats. Talk to member "DiscoNutter" or search for his posts, as he has a coiler that he's lifted to give offroad clearance to compare with the air sprung model Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #3077777th Jun 2008 11:57 pm
Big Muddy Pete

England 

Thanks for your speedy replies guys!
Its not completely cost, sorta wanted a basic model so less electrical problems i guessed, whether this was right to assume or not please tell me???
I do want to use it off road and also for towing my 10x5 ifor williams trailer too. I own a nissan navara double cab at mo and this isnt big enough in back for family any more and also pickup not needed any more as i have got a van!!!

What spec do you recommend i get?????

Post #3077838th Jun 2008 12:14 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

If you're towing, then you should go for an air suspension model, self levelling suspension & additional comfort you won't regret.

Spec up for as much as you want/can afford really. So an S generally will give you cloth seats, no sat nav and a good (but not the best) stereo.

As for electrical niggles, not sure how old the one is that you're looking at, but just make sure the dealer has completed all of the software updates & you really should be fine.
I went for the HSE as I wanted all the gizmo's & gadgets & it fitted in the price range I was looking for but ALL the air suspension models are fantastic. Just depends on if you like heated leather seats, HK Stereo upgrade, PDC front and rear SatNav etc etc etc.

TBH, the SatNav is quite OK, but not as versatile as one of the TomTom type units which can be made to easily fit inside the cubby hole.

Good luck in your quest.

There's a couple for sale on this site as well, one for £17,500 and another for £30k IIRC.
Take a peek in the wanted & for sale section. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3077868th Jun 2008 12:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Oh and get the Auto Box, great on and off road and a real dream to tow with. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #3077888th Jun 2008 12:32 am
Big Muddy Pete

England 

Thanks Bodsy!
Yeah, ill take a look! Looking to spend up to £18,000 Really. Noy really fussed on all the gismo's, want more of a work horse really, like my Navara i guess.

Thanks again for your help!

Post #3077918th Jun 2008 12:39 am
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

hi, i have coils on my disco3. it sounds if you are a bit like me and are after as much reliability as possible, i tow with mine and have no problems, and regular well load it, especialy when on my monthly booze cruise. the only thing is if you go off road, then you will find it bottoms out a bit too easily. i would recommend the auto model but i think the manual gives better fuel economy though. anyway thats my views.
see you all later,
regards, jim.

Post #30975012th Jun 2008 6:54 pm
kevi

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Unnecessary quote removed

Fully agree with j moore and after driving an auto for a few hrs i would like one on my next d3
 Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

2 Too many seats now
No trouble so far
tow pack, tasmods sills
IT goes without saying that you should never have more children than you have car windows 

Post #31014113th Jun 2008 7:49 pm
andih

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi, altho i got a manual 4 my own personal reasons, the auto is lovely. was a tough choice on which to get. i have driven the coil model, but i prefer the air.
as for spec level, mine is a xs. and im perfectly happy with it. ive got all the toys i want, great ice with the woofer in rear door, heated seats, window, mirrors blah blah. in fact the only thing it hasnt got is
sat nav. bit of a waste when i got top range tom tom
leather seats- i dont do leather and my kids hated em and car seats caused to much damage
elec seats- got em on the rangie, but something else to go wrong.
to be honest i couldnt see the point in forking out for bits and bobs that i didnt relly want. but its down to personal taste. i love my car, wouldnt change her for anything. end of.
oh, and she tows my twin axle cvan a dream and regularly a 6x16 ifor williams loaded to erm near ahem its limit. best tow car ive ever driven.
whatever one you get, am sure you'll find that its better than the jap crap you got Rolling with laughter
 2008 D3 SE auto, Java black
Previous ‘ermy' 2007 D3 tdv6 xs java black,
formerly 'eeyore' 1992 D1 200tdi heavily mod
'cherry' 2000 D2 td5 slightly mod. my lil baby for 4 yrs

its nice to be important, but more important to be nice 

Post #31066215th Jun 2008 11:07 pm
Nigel McBurney

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Go for coil springs,electronic problems with air suspension are too big a risk outside of warranty,disco 3 is a superb towing vehicle.I sold mine as the suspension could not be rectified to my satisfaction.

Post #31348923rd Jun 2008 8:53 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Pete,

Sorry for not picking up on this thread earlier, but I did send you a reply to your PM when I got back from holidays - give me a call if you want to discuss this further. Phone number is in the PM.

DN
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #31350923rd Jun 2008 9:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >