Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Code PO088 please help!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
slavko

Slovenia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Code PO088 please help!!

After changing the engine in my LR Discovery 3, problems occurred. When I start the engine (it starts immediately ), runs a little restless, but no warning signals on my dashboard. After a short time (a little longer when the engine is cold , almost immediately when the motor is warm, ), the sound in the engine change, it starts running very "" clean " but on my dashboard i get orange light ETC and EBA, gearbox goes in "limp " mode, and all special programs are not available . If i restarts the engine, it all happens again. With a scaner , I can find an error PO088, UO416 UO401.
Code PO088 means too high pressure. I send my high pressure pump in a special workshop on testing . They found out that the HP pump is absolutely good. The diagnostic tool shows the fuel pressure between 32 and 35 MPA when the engine runs at a minimum speed.. I also noticed that at a little higher engine speeds (1500 RPM), these problems disappear. I never has "engine Warning light " on my dash, so i hope that my problem lies somewhere out from my engine.
I ask for any help. Try to be patient with my bad english. please !

Slavko

Post #20063885th Dec 2018 6:43 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

P0088 fuel rail pressure to high
U0401 can fault
U0416 can fault.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20063975th Dec 2018 7:09 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You changed the engine - which engine did you replace it with. If it was the same (from another vehicle) then possible connector problems.
If it was replaced with a territory or jaguar engine, then many things need to have been changed - plenty of info on this forum Embarassed

Post #20064756th Dec 2018 1:36 am
slavko

I put the same engine from Discovery . I had to change conectors on HPP pump all othert components looks the same. I could not understand why i have" high pressure code " in my scaner and i have not "engine warning light " on my dashboard. I hope that experienced people around this forum will try to help me.
Slavko

Post #20064816th Dec 2018 6:57 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Quote:
had to change conectors on HPP pump

What connectors? Electrical connectors or pipe connectors?

If electrical, that does sound to be the route of the problem.
What about fitting your old pump? I think they changed with different years manufacture

Otherwise, is the fuel filter new or recently changed?

Post #201259325th Dec 2018 4:58 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Pumps are different between EU3/EU4

You should not have had to do anything with the electrical connectors...

Was the HPFP swapped over?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #201260425th Dec 2018 6:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
slavko

My " new "engine has a different HPP pump and a different pressure sensor position. The pressure sensor connector and the flow sensor connector are different, so I cat the electrical connectors from the old wiring and soldered it to the new one. I checked on the wiring diagram, and both of them are connected correctly. Even the same colors of wires, so I don't think there's a mistake. My HPP pump I sent to the specialized workshop on testing, replied that the pump was absolutely OK. The engine starts running immediately, and there is no ECU warning light on the dashboard, which i do not understand. I have quite a few experience in mechanics, especially on FIAT cars, and it should be that all problems with pressure should be connected with warning light
Another question for me is why everything works perfect if i keep a little higher rpm ( about 1000 ) . Emmediately after reevs drops under 1000 rpm ,all warning lights come out again.
Next week I will get an appropriate test device, so I will monitor the live data from my working engine and I will publish it on my post.

Slavko

Post #201267426th Dec 2018 11:34 am
Disco_Mikey

The pump probably is fine, but it's the wrong pump for you engine...

You need to refit the original pump, fuel rails, wiring and injectors to the "new" engine
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #201268526th Dec 2018 12:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
slavko

Are you sure ? From my point of view, the pump is very mechanical thing. It has to produce enough pressure in every circumstances. It has the same sensors and the same way of regulations. It is just different position. But i am not the expert.
I was reading some post that between Euro 3 and Euro 4 only EGR valves are different otherwise other things are the same.
Slavko

Post #201268926th Dec 2018 1:02 pm
Disco_Mikey

Yes. Both pumps make different pressures, with the pressure reading from a different point on the engine

You NEED to swap the original EU4 fuel system onto the replacement engine
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #201270826th Dec 2018 3:11 pm
slavko

I have to start from the beginning.
my first mistake was, because I did not know the car, I thought that the car was equipped with the euro 4 engine (year 2007).But now I know that my car has Euro3 engine and the new engine i put it in, is also Euro 3, but with different HPP, fuel lines and some other things.
. When I installed the engine I used the HPP from my new engine also injectors from my new engine (much less mileage). I changed the connectors to the HPP, which have the same color of wires and are equally connected to the engine ECU. When I started the motor after a few seconds it was set it in "limp mode". The diagnostic tool read the PO088 code. Live data, when the engine runs at minimum, show a pressure between 300 and 400 bars, which varies greatly until the engine goes into the "lip mode"
Due to the lack of knowledge of which standard my car belongs, According to Disco Mikey's instructions,I again replaced the pump and injectors and, of course, all the connectors.
You know more than I do, how difficult work is this. Because this is my car, and I do not hurry too much, I took some brake in between.
Anyway, even after I returned everything to the original format, it did not change things. I still have the same PO088 error code, and "limp mode" after a few seconds.

Briefly summarizing the facts: the two engines are Euro 3, the same errors occur in both HPP pumps.
Now I really do not know what to do, where to start.
I really need help from experts.

Slavko

Post #202718310th Feb 2019 11:00 am
florianu

Romania 

Hi, did you sort this out yet?
I have the same issue on RRS.

thanks

Post #20812936th Sep 2019 4:24 am
slavko

Do the error occurs while you drive the car or it came up after you worked on the car ?
Slavko

Post #20814006th Sep 2019 1:13 pm
florianu

Romania 

P0088 when starts..only some times, and p0087 during drive.
This is after replacing HPFP.

Before, only p087 when driving.

Post #20814326th Sep 2019 3:46 pm
slavko

My case was completely different. I bought a car with a broken engine so I didn't know how the car worked before. I installed the engine with a different high-pressure pump along with the electric wires, and here was a mistake, because the electrical connections on old engine and new one are not connected equally. When I accurately studied the wiring, the wiring diagram and conectors of both engines I found an error and also fix it.
In your case, you have to check everything. Did you install a new pump or used one? PO87 Error means low pressure, so you have to start from the electrick pump in the reservoir then fuel filter and then injectors, pressure regulator etc... On this forum there are many good posts and many experts, but requires a lot of searches and readings. I spent many hours reading different post and trying different things before i fix it. If you're a mechanic, you will going to fix it by yourself, but if you're just an amateur mechanic, then it will not be easy.
Slavko

Post #20815457th Sep 2019 6:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >