DISCO3.CO.UK > General

CO2 Off Setting - Holy Cow!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
CO2 Off Setting - Holy Cow!

Hi all,

I know tis topic was done earlier in the year, and a forest was looked in to - but i thought this was a much better proposition.

Apparantly, Cows & Sheep are responsible for a massive increase in CO2 levels through the methane they produce.

Therefore we now have a choice. Buy a tree, or Kill a cow. Either way it helps, but you can't eat a tree. So as long as you dont cook your steak using fossil fuels, its a viable option me thinks

The slogan "Buy a car, eat a cow " could be a winner - or "beef up your off setting"

its all good....
Very Happy

Scientist Ron Lawrenz says:
The last figures that I saw estimated that methane made up about seven percent of the greenhouse gases in the U.S. There have always been large (and small) animals that produce methane, but methane production has increased about 150% in the last 250 years. Most of that is through increased cattle production.

The recent UN Food and Agriculture Organisation report links meat-eating to environmental destruction. The report shows that livestock agriculture is a major threat to the environment, affecting climate change through greenhouse gas production. One-fifth of global warming comes from livestock like cattle.

The reason for this is that animal agriculture is the single largest cause of methane emmisions worldwide, producing one hundred million tonnes of methane gas per year.

And, the effect of animal methane emissions is compounded, because methane-induced warming will in turn stimulate microbial decay of organic matter in wetlands. And this is the primary natural source of methane.

The US leads the world in harmful meat-eating habits and industry practises. Approximately 28% of the US diet comes from animal sources, and 1.5 more tonnes of carbon dioxide per year are produced by each person eating a meat-based diet than by someone eating a vegan diet.

So being a veggie might help also. All veggie 4x4 drivers could be exempt from additional environmental taxation....

Rolling Eyes

Post #1364037th Mar 2007 2:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >