Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Clutch Fail @ 44K
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
baja1969

Clutch Fail @ 44K

Hi All,

i work for a generator hire company that runs a fleet of 4 disco 3 commercials to tow our fleet of 3ton generators about on a daily basis, the first 3 are 07 model year disco 3 manual base models and mine is 58 plate 09 spec.

All has been relatively trouble free mileage up until the last couple of months, the first trouble was a clutch failing at 36K on one of the vehicles (replaced under warranty) and the second was last week. the clutch failed at 44K, now i know what the answer regarding the clutch failing could be down to the type of duty and also driver error but i can honestly say that the driver concerned treats the vehicle like a baby and drives it like the same.

So off the vehicle goes via LR assistance to Guy Salmon at Knutsford to be repaired under warranty (or so we thought), one week later Guy Salmon come back to us to say that the clutch wont be replaced under warranty and the bill will be £1000 as the fly wheel needs changing also.

the dealer told us that the clutch failed due to wear and tear and that the rivets on the clutch had hit the flywheel damaging it so this was why the bill was so expensive.

I relayed all of the TSB numbers to the service manager who's reply was that that TSB did not cover that vehicle (even though the last clutch they repaced was nearly the same vin number)

so off my MD and transport manager went to the stealer this morning to pick the vehicle up and get stung for £1000 plus VAT. Being the type of guy that he is my MD asked to see the failed clutch and flywheel.

And this is the one of the reason for this ten page message

however the flywheel wasnt damaged and that the clutch plate is not worn down to the rivets, but as has happend before the clutch plate material has begun to break up due to excessive heat build up just as the TSB states.

So the moral of the story is that if you have any doubt that a part isnt covered under warranty always ask to see the failed part before you will pay for it.

The final outcome was that after paying for the repairs my MD complained to the dealer principal (MD of guy salmon about the treatment we had received and told him that he would report the dealings with them to landrover, and would you believe that we got a full refund.
 Disco TD5 Commercial (now gone)

Disco TDV6 Commercial 09 spec 

Post #38621010th Dec 2008 9:13 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You have no gallery ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #38621410th Dec 2008 9:17 pm
baja1969

wiggs wrote:
You have no gallery ?

have now matey sorry only just figured out how to upload the pics

Post #38621910th Dec 2008 9:24 pm
baja1969

baja1969 wrote:
wiggs wrote:
You have no gallery ?

have now matey sorry only just figured out how to upload the pics

so my question is to all the forum members, is the clutch fit for purpose.

We bought these vehicles on the proviso that they are plated to tow 3.5 ton and are the most ideal towing vehicle on the market.

I under stand that landrover did have an issue with the earlier clutches but for our model years the clutches were made from a different material and should able to withstand the duty they say that they can do.

But to me this is not the case i think there is still an issue with the clutch on the the tdv6 disco 3 and for me landrover are trying hide the fault through the dealers. I feel that if it wasnt for my MD kicking off with the dealer pricipal and making a scene in the dealer service department we would have had to apy for the whole repair.

Post #38622610th Dec 2008 9:30 pm
Hassle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It certainly comes across as there being a continued issue, however what is this clutch creature that you talk of

Post #38623110th Dec 2008 9:34 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

clutch Question was'nt that part of those faulty batch of D3's, the one's with 3 peddles...........how on earth quality control passed them, only ever seen one person able to drive them

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KJleJbn9G6Y

Post #38623910th Dec 2008 9:40 pm
baja1969

Hassle wrote:
It certainly comes across as there being a continued issue, however what is this clutch creature that you talk of

that would be the thing that helps change gear an auto would have been wonderful but alas out MD didnt want to pay the extra £1500 for the option.

Post #38624210th Dec 2008 9:41 pm
Hassle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think you might have a valid reason for purchasing one in the future

Post #38625110th Dec 2008 9:47 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Change Gear Question

Forward "D"
Backward "R"

Easy, now where's me pies Whistle

Post #38625210th Dec 2008 9:48 pm
bobic

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

The D3 is a fine machine for towing but first gear ratio in the manual box is to high for pulling away with 3.5 tons. I regularly tow a very large compressor and pull away in low box 2nd before changing to high box first(not a good idea when moving onto a busy roundabout and overall a pain in the stones) Auto is a must have for towing heavy loads unfortunately

Perhaps a seven speed gear box in the next generation disco - 1st for towing 2nd for normal driving Whistle

Post #38628610th Dec 2008 10:34 pm
baja1969

bobic wrote:
The D3 is a fine machine for towing but first gear ratio in the manual box is to high for pulling away with 3.5 tons. I regularly tow a very large compressor and pull away in low box 2nd before changing to high box first(not a good idea when moving onto a busy roundabout and overall a pain in the stones) Auto is a must have for towing heavy loads unfortunately

Perhaps a seven speed gear box in the next generation disco - 1st for towing 2nd for normal driving Whistle

thanks for the reply matey,

three of the four drivers including me are class 1 HGV drivers and are used to driving with a low and high box but even with using the low box to pull away up to 20 mph and then shifting to high the clutches have still failed.

my biggest concern is that LR customer services wont even acknowledge the issue and i as the engineering manager couldnt even get to speak to anybody technical at LR to try and get some resolution or even a way forward.

An auto would obviously be an option but unfortunatley as is the norm we have to work to a budget and as is the same every were now our margins are being squeezed so the extra fuel usage and initial cost has to be taken in to consideration, i would also say that 40K per year is about normal so we would be looking to replace these vehicles every 2 to 3 years which would keep them within LR warranty scheme so if they were to honour every clutch the extra replacements wouldnt be an issue or a better idea would be to offer a heavy duty clutch for our type of application. I just wish that i could get some sense out of LR customer services as to what the next step should be!!!!!!!!!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #38633010th Dec 2008 11:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >