Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Climate scientists - grasping at straws.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Climate scientists - grasping at straws.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8538060.stm

Quote:
A vast iceberg which broke off the Antarctic continent this month could disrupt the world's ocean currents and weather patterns, scientists warn. Australian researchers say the iceberg - the size of Luxembourg - could block an area that produces a quarter of the world's dense and very cold seawater. They say a slowdown in the production of this water could result in colder winters in the north Atlantic.

So we can look forward to colder winters....nothing to do with global warming (or lack of it)... but a giant Iceberg Surprised Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #61046526th Feb 2010 8:56 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The size of luxembourg? Quick, lets annex it and declare it an independent tax haven for all owners of Discovery3/4s.

In a similar burst of "oh crap, they've caught us" activity, similar to the frenetic scenes when a student suspected of cheating finds the exam invigilator hovering at his desk, the Met Office are going back to first principles:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews...cords.html

Daily Torygraph wrote:
The Met Office is to re-examine 160 years of global temperature records following the 'climategate' scandal.

By Louise Gray, Environment Correspondent
Published: 7:00AM GMT 25 Feb 2010

The project, in partnership with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), will gather the original temperature records from thousands of weather stations around the world. The readings will be double-checked and new information that has become available, such as improved understanding of atmospheric change, will be added. The data will then be independently analysed to assess how the temperature has changed over different regions.

The new analysis, that will take three years, will not only provide a more detailed picture of global warming but boost public confidence in the science of climate change.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #61047326th Feb 2010 9:06 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Climate scientists - grasping at straws.

Quote:
the size of Luxembourg

So it's not very big then... Laughing
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #61047726th Feb 2010 9:09 am
al cope

England 

surely it would be better if they just took Luxembourg and put it in the south atlantic Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #61047826th Feb 2010 9:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

According to the boffins, the ice tongue broke off due to collision between bergs, and global warming is not blamed at all. Thumbs Up

Post #61049326th Feb 2010 9:39 am
nobbyclark

For most of January and February, the news has been bad for the climate change proponents and ecomentalists, as the 'science' underpinning their religion has been challenged more and more in the public eye.

But I have noticed in the last week that 'they' are now ratcheting up the fightback: articles in The Times yesterday and today bleating on about how apocalyptic catastrophes could befall the UK, and how the dodgy data that underpins their predictions will be 'independently' reviewed and re-published in 2013 (but probably with far more dire consequences for the planet).

At least the news that an icy Luxembourg will cool down the sea has got their attention; ocean currents and solar activity cause far more changes to the climate than CO2. The mentalists will say that the ice falling off is all down to increasing temperatures, but this is untrue. Ice falls off all the time, always has and miraculously re-grows each year, and in the case of the past 2 years, the ice has grown back in greater volume than before.

It all makes me very peeved.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #61050826th Feb 2010 10:17 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's all Censored , they can't predict tomorrow let alone next weeks.

My niece has just spent 3 year at uni leaning to be a global warming saviour, I told her there was a better future in finding an oil replacement rather than stopping us using it.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #61051326th Feb 2010 10:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

One of the things that got me convinced it was all rubbish was reading that the earth and its atmosphere has a finite amount of 'water' that never changes quantity (makes sense if you stop to think we are an enclosed 'bubble') but does change form/location; i.e. it is sea/river water, ice, rain, clouds, etc. at any given time. Add to that the basic principle of physics that ice takes up the same amount of space as water then all the postulating that Norwich will be submerged when the ice caps melt (not necessarily a bad thing..... Mr. Green ) is horse sh Censored t surely Question Question Question

Post #61052926th Feb 2010 10:42 am
Alicatt

Belgium 

I would think it does change over time, as we sweep through space we gather material that is left in space by asteroids and comets not to mention the stuff that the sun is continuiosly putting out into the solar system.

Last edited by Alicatt on 26th Feb 2010 10:54 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #61053526th Feb 2010 10:54 am
JMC

Scotland 

astonbuilder wrote:
the basic principle of physics that ice takes up the same amount of space as water

Which branch of physics came up with that one then? Confused

Ice takes up a lot more space than the same mass of water - hence the reason for burst pipes in winter. However, the argument about rising sea levels is possibly un-sound if it is based on melting icebergs. The iceberg has a (significant) mass and this does not change when it melts. Therefore, the increase in liquid water would be offset by the reduction in water level displacement from the ice - just like when you get out of a bath - the water level drops. Take the iceberg out of the sea - level drops - replace the melted water and the level returns.

The problem comes when the ice melt is not floating in the first place.......
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #61053626th Feb 2010 10:54 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

JMC - as well as the land-based ice masses that you mention, we have to think that an iceberg doesn't displace an amount of water equal to it's mass as it floats and therefore a percentage of this mass is always kept out of the water (10-15%??).....I think it's this extra water that climate-change gurus say will cause the sea levels to get higher when combined with the melting of land-based ice....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Last edited by PaulP on 26th Feb 2010 11:18 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #61054226th Feb 2010 11:06 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Eh Confused Surprised
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 26th Feb 2010 11:21 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #61054426th Feb 2010 11:12 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When I said "they" I was referring to the eco-mentalists, not the people mentioned in the original article....I'll edit it in case that was what caused you to say "eh" Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #61054626th Feb 2010 11:17 am
JMC

Scotland 

PaulP wrote:
an iceberg doesn't displace an amount of water equal to it's mass as it floats and therefore a percentage of this mass is always kept out of the water (10-15%??)

An object floating in water will displace a volume equal to the weight of the object.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #61054926th Feb 2010 11:19 am
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

PaulP,
John is saying if it sits on the water it will diplace its own mass of water so that when it melts there will be no change in level at all. The only ice that can add to the sea level is that which is on land at the poles or anywhere else for that matter. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Let's sell the Iceberg to Argentina it might take their mind off trying to get their armed forces another hammering until it melts anyway.. Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle
 Regards, Trev.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In the wilds of North Lincs or the middle of the North Sea. 

Post #61055026th Feb 2010 11:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >