DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

clearing fault codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
iceman3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
clearing fault codes

anyone know how to clear fault codes?? Mr. Green
 work to live, not live to work! or work to repair the disco! still puts a smile on your face every time you drive it!
Java Black, HSE TDV6, Sidesteps, Privacy glass, Alpaca Cream Leather, Clear side indicator lenses, Smooth soft leather RRS steering wheel! 

Post #55354019th Nov 2009 1:30 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Get an MSV-2 from site sponsor BBSSpy, then you can reset to your hearts content. Thumbs Up (or contact any ofthe forum sponsors for them to reset it for you)
Do you know what the faults are as they'd usually clear if you fix them....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #55354619th Nov 2009 1:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iceman3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
clearing fault codes

when car was last at dealers they said egr valve came up as sticking in fault codes, said i'd change it myself, now not sure if it will have recognised new part fitted?
 work to live, not live to work! or work to repair the disco! still puts a smile on your face every time you drive it!
Java Black, HSE TDV6, Sidesteps, Privacy glass, Alpaca Cream Leather, Clear side indicator lenses, Smooth soft leather RRS steering wheel! 

Post #55356519th Nov 2009 2:06 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

switch off, remove key, open bonnet, wait for P light to extinguish (2mins), disconnect battery, attach +ve cable to -ve cable to discharge any capacitors for a few minutes, reconnect.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #55379219th Nov 2009 10:38 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Dick

Wish I'd have known that before I spent a fortune on diagnostic equipment Shocked

Post #55395220th Nov 2009 11:37 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Does disconnecting the battery really work to clear fault codes. I thought they were stored in non volatile memory ?.

I have never managed to clear a fault code this way.

Last edited by countrywide on 20th Nov 2009 2:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #55396520th Nov 2009 12:06 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

BrumLee wrote:
Dick

Wish I'd have known that before I spent a fortune on diagnostic equipment Shocked

Clearing them is fine up to the point they come back. They are generally generated for a reason, i would rather have the diagnostic equipment to know what the problem is and deal with it and then clear the codes Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #55396620th Nov 2009 12:11 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

dick dastardly wrote:
switch off, remove key, open bonnet, wait for P light to extinguish (2mins), disconnect battery, attach +ve cable to -ve cable to discharge any capacitors for a few minutes, reconnect.

Erm....are you sure about this?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #55400620th Nov 2009 1:28 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

dick dastardly wrote:

Probably wrong here...but...doesn't this clear some types of faults to get you going again. But not the actual fault code that is logged...?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #55405820th Nov 2009 2:56 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Found the procedure here some time ago, sorry cant remember the topic Embarassed search doesnt sem to help.

I managed to get loads of codes come up once by just trying to start the car. This procedure cleared them all
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #55432320th Nov 2009 10:44 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Having spent several years doing thousands of man hours of investagative technical work on the diagnostic capabilities of Land Rovers CAN BUS systems, such that we can develop equipment that can read and clear the faults, It is with some confidence and understanding that i can tell you catagorically that you cannot clear faults in the non volatile memory of any Discovery 3 ECU by simply disconnecting the battery.

It is true however that there is some form of temporary fault status on the current drive cycle and some faults which cause the lamps to light might appear to go after a number of sucessful drive cycles, but they are actually still retained by the systems.

In fact for each possible fault code that can be logged there is quite a sophisticated element of management and a number of cycle counters related to them, with event triggers at different count points.

For example a given fault might be detected by the system which at that stage simply increments the fautt count meter for that specific fault. When the fault has been re detected a certain number of times which can be different for each fault, the fault will be logged internally (no visible indication at that stage) with a status of Pending. at certain other count levels snap shot data can be taken, and eventually the fault reaches the full blown state of warning via a Lamp, (not all faults can do this, and depending on the difference between the good cycle count and the Bad Cycle count the fault will be listed as intermittant or not and so on.

If the fault is fixed, the good cycle counter overtakes the bad one and the faults status gets changed to historic and so on.

Disconnecting the battery however changes absolutely nothing as even the cycle counters are stoored in EEPROM.

Post #55447621st Nov 2009 6:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >