Cleaning of the steering oil filter screen in the reservoir
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Cleaning of the steering oil filter screen in the reservoir

This afternoon I turn this dirty boy:

Click image to enlarge

(note, much better resolution in my gallery)

Into this:

Click image to enlarge

I think that as my steering fluid was changed by me many times in +70.000 miles, the fluid must to be in good condition. My steering runs sweety before this and this task was acomplished only for taking care of the car and because i like to do things by myself (because I know they are right).

In dont hear many stories about failed steering pumps, nor noisy ones, even at high milleages, but this cleaning is good for the steering and i will do it next 70 or 80k miles to maintain it top ten.

it takes an hour first time to me, now i think that less than an hour is so possible, so tiny time to loose.

the entire process is here in photos:

as you imagine, the process is:

-locate the tools needed.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

-empty dry the reservoir,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

-unmount it from bracket

Click image to enlarge

no spills! no single one drip! as i suck of the oil from the horizontal position of the reservoid, letting oil drain to couls suck it out. a clean work 8)

-clean it with petrol. (take cake not pinch the screen, do not use something hard to clean, only the brush, it cleans well and easy)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

-dry it with a "borrowed" Whistle hair dryer (mild temp, not burning)

-mount in reverse and fill up.

Click image to enlarge

I dont know how other reservoirs are, many D3 and D4 gurus heres could speak about, but mine was fairly dirty, the mud and metellic chips i could get out from him dont seem to be so large or dangerous, they don't indicate something wrong and all was captured by the screen.

the fluid that comes out was filtered in a rag...this come out:

Click image to enlarge

from the petrol (big chips in the blue bucket, sorry no photo, just a bunch of tiny metallic and gummy like goo) this was floating in the liquid

Click image to enlarge

maybe a look for the high mileage or high years ones are worth a try.

owners decide. to me is peace of mind.

here you have a video that shows a reservoir change, not cleaning in a freelander with steering problems.

no need for changing in ours, as we could reach easily the reservoir screen for perfect cleaning.

Thumbs Up

Post #131780129th Jul 2014 11:59 pm
CUCO

This are pictures of a high mileage vehicle, with a clogged blocked screen:

And the wrong approach of punching the screen (bad way: debris will flow free around the system, scoring all valves guides, pump vanes, bearings, etc.)

Post #131790430th Jul 2014 9:49 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's useful. I need to change my steering oil, so will clea this filter at the same time. Will have to wait Til septembernow though. B Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #131790730th Jul 2014 9:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Cuco, did you replace the fluid using the method described by Spiderbaby in this thread
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic80522.h...ring+fluid
Or did you do a drain and refill? If the latter, is there a bleeding procedure?

I have read somewhere that old and new fluid should not be mixed, but the flush through from the reservoir seems an easy option. Having looked into mine and had a sniff Shocked I now realise that this is a reservoir that holds fluid that then circulates, as opposed to simply sitting there waiting to be used! I am even more keen to give mine a freshen up and clean the filter that I did not appreciate was there.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #131791130th Jul 2014 10:13 am
CUCO

I drain the reservoir and the hoses with the syringe to get all the fluid easily reacheable out of the system. then, I mount the reservoir all fill up with new fluid after cleaning the screen.

as my fluid was changed before, the fluid itself was in a good shape. much better now of course because i renew a big part of the total capacity this time.

in previous renewals, i empty the reservoir and refill only, do it many times with turning the steering wheels (engine on) and you are ok to renew a big part of the fluid if you want.

no need for bleeding, the pump itself will self prime and bleed itself. not whining noises, no aireated fluid, no bubbles, no nothing, just perfect.

and yes, as you said, the fluid is continuosly recirculating across the entire system, so changing the reservoir part will refresh the other part too.

For this time, it only needed one bottle.

Thumbs Up

Post #131792430th Jul 2014 10:54 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Time to give Brad a call at Yeovil Land Rover. Thanks for advice
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #131794930th Jul 2014 11:53 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Inspired by CUCO thread, I changed the PAS fluid today.

These are the tools I used.
Click image to enlarge

Basically, I sucked the fluid out of the reservoir with the pump and into a bottle beside the reservoir. Once almost empty, I then stuffed rag beneath the reservoir and disconnected the two pipes underneath. Then, washed the inside of the reservoir in the bucket with petrol. After each wash, the petrol was filtered through the rag in a funnel into a measuring jug, then poured through again.

My filter at the bottom was black and soon started to come clean. To remove the last particles, I used a small brush and the last flush was done with petrol. A hairdryer was used as CUCO recommended to dry the inside.

Here is a view of the clean filter - it was black before I started.
Click image to enlarge

The fluid on the left was what came out of the first empty of the reservoir.
Click image to enlarge

I then refitted the reservoir and refilled to max with new fluid and put lid on. Started the engine and cycled the steering from left to right several times. Then sucked out the fluid, refilled etc. I did this process three times. I will now drive the car for a week and have enough fluid left for three more changes.

I know I could have drained down and got more fluid out, but was scared of getting an airlock. I also new I needed to wash the filter so was going to take the reservoir off any way. Even if I had drained, I would still have gone through the flush routine as I am sure the grime would have sat in the system.

At £36 for 2 litres of fluid from Brad at Yeovil LR it was not going to break the bank. Not bad cost for 141k miles of driving.
Post #13191822nd Aug 2014 1:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >