Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

check oil level
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
arkiboys

check oil level

hello,
how is it possible to check the oil level using the digital display on a discovery 4 HSE please?
Thanks

Post #131857131st Jul 2014 9:53 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

press the OK button on the steering wheel, go to Service Menu, then Oil Level

car needs to have been switched off for about 20 mins
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #131858031st Jul 2014 10:06 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Make sure the vehicle hasn't been started for 20 mins or it'll say not available.

Use the right hand button on the steering wheel. Select the bottom menu, then oil level, with the ign on.

regards
Steve

Post #131858531st Jul 2014 10:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arkiboys

DiscoDunc wrote:
press the OK button on the steering wheel, go to Service Menu, then Oil Level

car needs to have been switched off for about 20 mins

there is no service menu for me to choose.
I know tge landrover assistant person showed it to me along time ago but
I can not find the oil level check menu now.
thanks

Post #131859331st Jul 2014 10:19 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

I assume this is a 3.0 with no dipstick, rather than a 2.7 with a normal dipstick?

Post #131859631st Jul 2014 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arkiboys

Correct.
2014 hse discovery 4

Post #131859831st Jul 2014 10:30 pm
Parallax33

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Turn on the ignition without pressing brake to access the service menu Thumbs Up
 Justin

Discovery 4 MY14 XXV Causeway Grey
RRS MY12 Autobiography
Discovery 4 MY12 GS
Nanocom, Cruise Control, Cubby Fridge, TomTom SatNav, Xenons, BlackVue 

Post #131860031st Jul 2014 10:31 pm
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As above.

- hit starter button without foot on brake to put on ignition.
- hot ok button
- scroll down to service menu
- read oil level
- swear at fact you don't just have a feggin' dipstick Wink
 2012 D4 HSE for her
2014 Evora S SportsRacer for him 

Post #131863731st Jul 2014 11:52 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Manual states that engine needs to be warm, so run it until its warm, twiddle your thumbs for 20 minutes, then check as described above.

Post #131863831st Jul 2014 11:54 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

and car on level

Post #13186521st Aug 2014 1:55 am
motolite

Australia 

If you don't succeed the first time keep trying. Mine took a few goes when I got it back from service. To my amazement the level was spot on. It would want to be for the price Big Cry

Post #13190522nd Aug 2014 5:19 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Tears....

I believe this is the start of a situation that ends in tears.
- failed oil level sensing systems....the risk of running low or high oil level...a no no
- failed or damaged engines.......lotsa money to fix
- the possibility of retro fitted dipsticks.......now theres a business opportunity for some enterprising person
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #13190782nd Aug 2014 8:29 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The electronic system is better than the stick for the vast majority. Do you get a dash low oil warning on a D3 to avoid engine damage - err no. How many owners actually check their oil regularly, of those that do how many do it correctly and just how easy to read is the silly D3 plastic and wire stick?

Whilst most D4 oil level issues are down to people not reading the manual word for word it could be improved. I see no reason why it could not automatically display the oil level recorded at the right temp after the last shut-down - simples.

In my ideal world during start I would see the fluid levels (live and recorded as appropriate) of all fluid systems at start-up. Car manufacturers seem to avoid worrying the consumer yet my printer displays all the ink levels when turned on.

For the luddites you could always disable the fuel gauge to give yourself a challenge.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13190812nd Aug 2014 8:42 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
The Vast majority...

Robbie - I distinctly dont fall into that group...

Not better an alternative..

My feelings are if you have a vehicle there is a basic amount of driver maintenance needed...
- you have to fill the washer bottle - yes it has a warning to say its low...& if it runs out it runs out it doesn't destroy the engine......I carry five litres + additive as I refuse to have to pay for this on motorways
- you have to occasionally check the colony & steering system fluid - many dont I do
- you check tyres & lights...well I do once a week
- so dipping the engine oil isn't that big an issue...I dont have to wait, the reading is what it is...& if I top up I can see the exact level I have got to....as you say simple..the dipstick is a fundamental instrument (it doesn't need to be set up, powered on or calibrated
- the sensor system it indeed does tell you something...but if it fails it fails to "unsafe" no level or no indication..that means you have no means of knowing...
other makers have gone about this in a other ways - my 83 Volvo 760 had an oil level warning light to supplement the old fashioned dipstick...if you drained you oil your could check it worked...& was part of the service checks dealers did...yes they checked a checking system. Good maintenance.
I wonder if on a service LandRover / Jaguar actually run the system to see if it indicates zero...?

Engine oil level doesn't (or shouldn't) alter rapidly - except if there is a fault or the vehicle is old (& burns oil) true the sensor being discussed here system will warn you - however I would be dipping the oil every other or every fuel fill up if I was burning oil...as I might if my D3 stays into its dotage. To me (not part of the vast majority) - no problem I will be in the engine bay anyway. To me a routine check - good vehicle maintenance disciplines (as a professional engineer & my second apprenticeship as a marine engineer) the discipline is part of my make up. & always will be.

Mistakes do happen...my its VW golf lost all its oil in seconds some 50 miles after a service as the filter hadnt been fitted correctly - MASSIVE warning light + sounder with message STOP ENGINE..the oil pressure system did that not level as it would on most cars note: nothing to do with level
If I had the choice it would be the dipstick every time:
- fast ...you dont have to sit & wait or have the vehicle in the right condition & can be done even if the vehicle is dead power wise
- reliable...no moving parts...the only failure mode is if you dont look occasionally - doesn't depend on electronics that are advanced but not absolute or fundamental...

yes there are those on here who know masses of people who have experienced dipstick failure maybe these make up the majority who need a warning light...maybe they need warning lights for other obvious things too...but what the F--k how do you break a dipstick...a bit of fencing with the guy at the next pump when you are filling up...or you are a total pillock & use it for something that isn't dipping for oil level.

Personally I would like to have the choice..I would pay (extra) to have a dipstick...which is daft as most vehicle have these for free & they never cause any problems being used ...only a problem if they are ignored..(back to basic vehicle maintenance). Many things have been made electronic, solid state, processor controlled which is just brilliant if it serves a purpose & overcomes a distinct problem that causes lots of issues.
To me at least (as I'm not part of the vast majority) this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist..as said higher up for some it will all end in tears..tears of frustration (as they are denied a simple oil level)...tears of regret (when they have to pay costly bills that are totally unnecessary)...money that needn't be spent.....BIG tears of anger as a system fails on a vehicle that is viable but may not justify a new engine.

.......its a bit like the gear change "knob" suits some doesn't suit others....lets see if the new Disco has the "knob" or a lever 2 out of two (new RRS & F type) haven't. To me (I have an XK with a knob besides my D3) the knob is a total gimmick, isn't intuitive & has distinct disadvantages....again I would pay to get the brilliant J gate on my XK. But thats me & the majority dont buy XK's.
Good industrial design uses the KISS principle (Keep It Stupidly Simple) dont add complexity where it isn't needed as when it fails (not if) something bigger & more fundamental will also be compromised or fail.

Tears Tears Tears
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #13192142nd Aug 2014 3:03 pm
arkiboys

mik wrote:
As above.

- hit starter button without foot on brake to put on ignition.
- hot ok button
- scroll down to service menu
- read oil level
- swear at fact you don't just have a feggin' dipstick Wink

I have now checked the oil.
it shows as max level and indicates ok.
question: service was carried out around over 1000 miles ago which was
abot 5 months ago. Question is; why is the oil level shows as ok and max level.
?
I ask because I was told the oil needs topping up after 600 miles
Any thoughts please?

Thankyou all.

Post #13193482nd Aug 2014 8:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >