Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Check Brake Pads error
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Check Brake Pads error

I have done a search, and can't find entries on this - so apologies...

Have jsut hit 36000 km, and the "check brake pads" error and chime has started - driving us crazy - was in for a service anyway - so I guess they'll be replaced.

Questions:
- how many km is best/average/worst for pads to last?
- do I really have to replace the sensors as well?
- are people replacing with factory LR pads, or alternatives? In the past I've used Bendix and EBC on my D2...

Thanks and cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2224559th Nov 2007 12:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Answers...

On an auto they wear pretty quick - well she is heavy. My manual has had one new set at the 5K mile service. Still no new disks at 77.5K miles.

Yes you need to replace the sensor. Its just a wire and once broken to chime the alarm... needs to be replaced.

Many here have done the pad replacement themselves, apparently easy to do and far cheaper than dealer prices. New sensors are readily available.

More technical answers will I'm sure follow Wink

Post #2224569th Nov 2007 12:24 am
simon_arch1

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

$700 later - new front pads, disks and sensors, and new sensors and pads in the rear too! Crying or Very sad

Yes - it is a heavy vehicle - will have to get SWMBO (her daily driver) to slow down and use less brakes...

Neutral
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2224679th Nov 2007 3:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

New Disks?!?

I had mine machined once and the pads have been replaced twice.

Are they meant to replace the disks or was machining good enough?. After 103000km she still stops OK.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2224689th Nov 2007 3:39 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Simon,

I'm surprised you need new front discs at 36,000km. My fronts were machined and new pads fitted at 50,000km and recently new rear pads fitted at 60.000km.

SWMBO must be hard on brakes then.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2224699th Nov 2007 4:03 am
simon_arch1

I'll be quizzing them hard at collection time Evil or Very Mad

MLR have normally been pretty good at not ripping one off too much... Maybe profits are down this month Sad

Jamo - being where you are, I'd expect your brakes to last longer, whereas we're in stop-start traffic most days...

hmmm

Simon
Post #2224719th Nov 2007 4:36 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would be careful before paying them Simon. Ask to see the old parts.
One of my pads went, on a non sensor wheel, went down to the metal (iron filings ont e wheel) They just machined it. I thought it may need a new disc but they said the D3 ones are thicker and last longer than the D2.
Good luck. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2224759th Nov 2007 6:18 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

Here is how to change them youself.

Changed mine at, front and rear pads, (27,000 miles) the job was very straightforward 15mins a wheel from wheel off to back on. BTW you need 13 and 17mm spanners for the front. I used a small G Clamp to push in the pistons and a small piece of wood cut to size to press the two pistons in place, otherwise one comes out as you press the other in.

The wiring for the 2 brake wear sensors is crazy with the wire disappearing behind the plastic wheel arch liner at the front and I have no idea where to at the rear! (My view is that it is the time LR take to do this which adds to the labout cost.)

Rather than replace the sensors I cut the wires stripped the ends, twisted and taped them, cable tied them back on I visually check my brake linings often anyway.

I do have replacement sensor cables and at some future date am going to splice the wire, and put a suitable connector closer to the brake to make changing easier, something LR should have done (eg. like Porsche).

Gareth set out instructions some time age which I updated slightly.

Tools required;

Good jack and stands, wheel brace, 13mm spanner, 15mm spanner 17mm spanner, Pliers, brake cleaner, brake grease, piston retraction tool or small block of wood and g-clamp.

1. Securely jack the car onto axle stands and remove front wheels
2. On the left hand side, use pliers to pull the pad wear sensor off the pad
3. Remove the 13 mm bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper frame (use the 15mm spanner, rear, 17mm spanner front, to hold the sliding joints whilst you undo the caliper bolts)
4. Discard the caliper bolts (new ones are in the kit)
5. Lift off the caliper and support, take care not to strain the brake pipe and wires.
6. Remove and discard the old pads. (Front and rear pads are different, Front has 2 piston system, rear has 1)
7. Remove and discard the pad support springs (new ones in kit)
8. Use piston compression tool to fully retract pistons into caliper - take care and push the pistons slowly and squarely. (use a small G Clamp to push in the pistons and a small piece of wood cut to size to press the two pistons in place, otherwise one comes out as you press the other in. )
9. Clean the caliper with brake cleaner.
10 Fit the new support springs to the caliper frame
11 Smear a little brake grease onto the back of each pad, and a little onto the sliding surface that fits into the support spring
12 Fit the pads into the support springs (rear pads are directional chamfer goes towards the ground, ie the leading edge of disk travel for forward motion)
13 Replace brake wear sensor, refit origonal or tie back if you feel you do not need it if its still intact.
14 Replace the caliper onto the frame and use the new bolts to secure.
15 Refit road wheel
16 Pump brake pedal to prime the system.
17 Check level in brake fluid reservoir
18 Carefully road test

Post #2225429th Nov 2007 12:33 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1511.html
 The End  
Post #2225469th Nov 2007 12:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: