Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Cheap Solar Powered Battery Charger
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Alex08

Scotland 
Cheap Solar Powered Battery Charger

If any of you are interested, Maplin do a car solar battery charger that sits on the dash and plugs in through the accessory socket to keep the battery in tip-top charge whilst you are away. Probably not necessary if you use the car every day, but if you don't...

Anyway this panel outputs enough to trickle the battery and even works here in the dark north. I went to get another on Friday as my existing one sits connected to the 'summer car' in the garage over the winter. The nice lady in Maplin rang it up, told me it was £19.99 then said that if I wait until Wednesday this week (21st) it is reduced to £9.99 as a special offer. She then cancelled the sale and said she would put one aside for me! What a nice lady.

This is a really good gadget and for £9.99 it is a bargain. And since mine is being kept aside, I can tell all of you about it.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #13111218th Feb 2007 10:26 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you're going to use it with the D3 you'll have to connect it directly to the battery as the 12v sockets are only live when the ignition is on
 The End  
Post #13111418th Feb 2007 10:34 pm
JMC

Scotland 
Re: Cheap Solar Powered Battery Charger

Alex08 wrote:
my existing one sits connected to the 'summer car' in the garage over the winter.

Confused
So that's where all the daylight in Scotland goes over the winter........ It's in your garage...... Shocked Confused

Post #13112518th Feb 2007 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alex08

Scotland 

Slimer wrote:
If you're going to use it with the D3 you'll have to connect it directly to the battery as the 12v sockets are only live when the ignition is on

Or to the live towing electrics pin? It comes with battery crocodile clips or the accessory plug.

Post #13115018th Feb 2007 11:17 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Alex08 wrote:
Or to the live towing electrics pin?
Yep 'spose you could do that too. Question then is is it up to the job of charging a D3 battery which requires a bit more 'oomph' than a normal car battery for a proper charge, if it's just trickle charging then maybe it'll do enough to keep it viable until it's next started Confused

Hmmm, queue TFC to give us the facts and figures me thinks Whistle
 The End  
Post #13116918th Feb 2007 11:34 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

It is designed as a top up - I wouldn't use it to charge a flat battery - that would take a VERY long time. But is enough to cope with replacing the drain from all the bits you can't switch off. As I said it keeps the SLK charged up over the winter months when it only gets the occasional outing.

Post #13119319th Feb 2007 12:00 am
JMC

Scotland 

I've just put a standard car battery charger (set to trickle) on a timer switch in my garage. Every day for 15 minutes the battery is getting a wee top-up. Don't know if there is wisdom in this or not Neutral

Post #13124519th Feb 2007 11:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

slk.....summer car????....wimp!.....thats what the roof is for, now, an aerial atom....that IS a summer car Rolling with laughter
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #13124819th Feb 2007 12:13 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

You mean that the roof comes off on the SLK?

Now living in Glasgow you will know that a summer car has a roof! Or a large drain hole in the bottom.

Laughing

Post #13130219th Feb 2007 3:27 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Alex08 wrote:
Or to the live towing electrics pin? It comes with battery crocodile clips or the accessory plug.

Is this the one???

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...p;DOY=19m2

Post #13130419th Feb 2007 3:34 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Yes - that is it.

Post #13132619th Feb 2007 4:27 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

How will you get a permanently live accessory socket??

Post #13132719th Feb 2007 4:29 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

As said above - there is the towing pin option. On the SLK I just attach directly to the battery. On the D3 I plan to make a slight modification to allow access to a permanently live feed inside the car. That way the panel can sit on the dash when in use. It has to be disconnected before starting the car though.

It's maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but it suits my needs.

Post #13133119th Feb 2007 4:42 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Got one to day just to try it on the off road trailer to keep the battery topped up 8)
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #13184721st Feb 2007 12:05 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I got one of these for Mrs S' car - which was struggling to start as it is only used for short < 5 mile journeys once or twice a week when the Disco isn't available. The journey time never comes close to restoring the charge used during the start. I too picked it up for £9.99 last year from Maplins, and believed there was no chance it could make a difference. Wrong!
From failing to turn over at every other start attempt, the car now starts first time every time, even when it's been cloudy all week. The panel points North and never gets direct sunlight.

Thanks for the heads-up re-the special price, I will be getting another one for the Disco!

p.s. I checked the voltage in bright sunlight - 18 to 24 volts open circuit! This drops to close to the battery voltage when connected and current starts to flow. The flashing blue LED looks Halfords warrior naff, but I believe this causes the voltage/current to pulse up and down slightly to assist the charging process; so far not enough for the alarm to think it's being tampered with. Mine has a strip of black tape over the LED to introduce a semblance of taste... Laughing
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #13200321st Feb 2007 9:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >