Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Cheap options for emergency whinching available?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dan_NL

Cheap options for emergency whinching available?

I normally never really "offroad" more as a steep gravelpath or such. But last week in Portugal I found someone stuck-in-the-mud & needing help. Trying to help them, got stuck too Embarassed Surface was slightly inclined but covered in fine dry dust. Not slippery to walk on, but the car went sideways into the mud like it was on ice. I didn't have any whinching means, so called a towtruck... Banging Head Would like to have some simple means of whinching.A full electric whinch would need a bumper as well, and that would cost €€€... I have seen a small electric whinch, with a nodge to fix it over the ball of a towbar. This seems not to shift much though Rolling Eyes
Now the handwinch things, with bands or steel cables, they can be fixed to a towbar or the odd tree or such. But does it shift a D3 from the mud ??? Sheep

Post #96580014th Aug 2012 5:44 pm
scotty15

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I am looking into the same thing but I have not got stuck yet. The best option I have found are these.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/gu...F61FAAF54C

or this site http://www.liftingandcrane.co.uk/site_load...gories.php

Andy
 06 reg disco 3 HSE MY 06. Sat nav ,fridge, LR phone kit, rear passenger climate,
BAS remap
Wiggs BT phone exchange unit and 3 flash indicators enabled 

Post #96580414th Aug 2012 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

i used to have one of these to mount a rear winch Thumbs Up

http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/

remember though you need some hefty power cables to run a winch Thumbs Up

you can also use a hi-lift jack as a winch
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #96583014th Aug 2012 6:58 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yeh you can use a wire rope hoist or even a pull lift, providing the weight rating is right (something over 4500KG is gonna be best) and you aren't going to have a heart attack while pumping it.

The only problem with a pull lift is that when the chain runs out, you either need to be out of trouble, in a position where the vehicle is not going to slide back down to where it was or in a place where you can tie the vehicle off to stop it moving, reposition the device and carry on.

BUT to be honest I would not use either of these items. The reason being that with a winch/remote, you can get yourself in a place of safety while it is under strain. With the pull lift or wire rope hoist you have to be there to pump it, which leaves you right in the line of fire if a shackle or recovery point lets go.

Not for me!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #96583414th Aug 2012 7:07 pm
bp

United Kingdom 

where is nick wiv his turney log winch when you need him.....

With a bit of sense and mechanical sensitivity I wouldnt worry too much about using a turfor as a winch same principle as the hi lift jack.... F@*#ng hard work tho
 Don’t worry it is supposed to sound like that...honest  
Post #96583914th Aug 2012 7:19 pm
Dan_NL

DiscoDunc wrote:

remember though you need some hefty power cables to run a winch Thumbs Up

you can also use a hi-lift jack as a winch

I was thinking to use a trailerplug to put in the socket and use this as a power supply, but then I read in the specs even a small winch takes 120 amps... One needs to run dedicated powerlines directly to the winch Shocked And Duncan, where do you fix these electric winches on the rear of a D3/4, any photo's ?

J@mes, I agree : its a lot better to stay clear of 'harmsway' .. But where I got stuck the worsed problem was the shear remoteness and the depth of the canyon which made 3G reception impossible. The towtruck guy told me the local firebrigade does have 27Mc scanners. Thats something I'll get for shure : citisensband radio!

Scotty15 ; there are also cable winches as used on boattrailers. Some are quite hefty and can pull 5000Kg. But I wonder if these ratched mechanisms will stay locked, or suddenly let go Shocked

Post #96584214th Aug 2012 7:33 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

you can run 35mm cable from the main battery down the chassis rail to the rear bumper and connect to a 170amp anderson connector. the cables can run 240 amps, but the 170 amp anderson seems to do ok when winching.

anderson connector can be seem to the left of the winch tray underneath the reflector

Click image to enlarge
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #96591314th Aug 2012 9:50 pm
Dan_NL

Duncan, this really looks like a good solution Thumbs Up . I considered using the fixingpoint of the towbar, but got no further as a direct fixing of a whinch to it. Daft idea, because it would get really filthy and be extremely vulnarable. Your 'steel box' seems to cover all odds... Razz Although your buildup looks to be friendly on the old purse, it is still too much for my recent mishap. For once every two year, I cannot be driving around with a steel box fitted... And putting it in the trunk would do just as good as the advice the LR manual gives on the front towhook cover once it was deep into the mud.. "..remove cover before odffroading.." Yeah, great Big Cry I read a bit on the web and found J@mes remarks quite usefull. It turns out a 'Hi-Jack' has only a short stroke, but not the 'unleashing' effect a steelcable can have Shocked . This youtube footings are quite instructive Whistle

Post #96592114th Aug 2012 10:24 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

This fits into the 2" tow hitch reciever and can be fitted in a few seconds.

Click image to enlarge
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #96594714th Aug 2012 11:29 pm
Dan_NL

Navigator, so all options are covered. Thumbs Up No matter if there is a fixed or detachable towhook Very Happy But still, too much for me. I 'll dig into the 'Hi-Jack' option ; that investment balances the odds that I'll ever need it in the first place. Your perfect solutions would only lure off the beaten track, looking for a reason to play with the new goodies Twisted Evil

Thanks anyway for sharing your expertise Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #96595714th Aug 2012 11:51 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

SB 175 Anderson connectors are rated at 175 amps continuous current use. They will take 1,000 amps for about 8 seconds.

Most winches on maximum current draw will pull somewhere in the region of 400-500 amps max. Anderson connectors can cope with this load for short periods of time.. If you are likely to be running a winch at max current draw then in general terms better to double line so halve the load on the winch rope which is safer Thumbs Up and drastically reduces current draw. OK it takes a bit longer to set up and doubles the winch time, however if you are not in a competition then it is not important especially since it is safer.

If mounting an Anderson connector outside vehicle use a dust cover and an isolator switch.. The standard isolator switch are rated 100 amps continuous or 500 amps for 30 seconds. OK there are 200 amp isolator switches available. Note various comprises have to be made.

Brendan

Post #96610315th Aug 2012 1:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >