Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Cheap Insurance.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Our local office/agent lost their NFU dealership a year or two when the company changed hands. Now I use another local agent in Hungerford. I've found them to be very good when changing cars, adding the Defender (very cheap - they like old Land Rovers!) and getting cover notes when having a courtesy car from the LR dealer.
A very quick call each time sorts anything out. I'm sure it would take much longer if I spoke to the national tele-centre.
The downside is that it is office hours only.
I'm convinced that using the local offices gives you a far better service.
 Matt  
Post #17053525th Jun 2007 4:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chumbucket2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Remember sometime agooooooo I stated "More Than had put Off Road cover in my policy"? Well Censored Censored Censored totally misrepresented the policy and if the subject hadn't had space on the site to discuss I'd have had no paddle when up Censored creek......I'm writing to FSA if no letter explaining why thier Censored wit employee sold me the policy.....So from this lesson we now know not to get offroad insurance from Censored Than because they just don't do it!

Post #17053825th Jun 2007 4:09 pm
SN

NFU haven't got back to me but I've been onto LR.

They've quoted me around £570 (up from £502 with Direct Line) but this does include business mileage this time (which I'm starting to need Rolling Eyes ) plus the 'magic' Off-Road cover (fields, farmyards non-competitive blah blah)

I did have some interesting discussions about 2nd sets of wheels/tyres - they'll cover 'off road tyres/wheels' as long as they're capable/legal on the road.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #17055425th Jun 2007 4:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Slimer wrote:
Also, the local offices aren't open when I'm trying to get quotes in the evenings or weekends

The local offices are only open office hours, but they know their customers by name and are always happy to help out. Any company that has a call centre will not be able to do this - NFU included.

Call the local Ludlow office during office hours and see what they say. Can't imagine they only insure South Shropshire residents.

Post #17057525th Jun 2007 5:52 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

But I'm working during office hours Confused

I still don't understand how the cover they'll offer depends on the office you call, surely they're the same underwriters?
 The End  
Post #17059625th Jun 2007 6:32 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Censored NFU won't insure me Big Cry - tried 2 different offices - it's because of my POSTCODE apparently - strange becasue I live within spitting distance of 4 or 5 farms Exclamation
Best deal I have is with Zurich but it's NOT cheap

Post #17060825th Jun 2007 6:51 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cheapest isn't necessarily best, I went with LR Insurance this time around, about £60 more than my renewal quote with Frizzell (who are blooming good too) but I have the reassurance of proper on road cover that has been proven to pay out if required
 The End  
Post #17067025th Jun 2007 10:25 pm
smac343

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

finally got a reg number for the new D3 so did the usual phone and tinternet search 35, full no claims, one SP30, parked in garage Mrs Smac343 is 28, both insured for business came out at £457 with NFU local office including off road as long as it's not time trials or racing in writing. LR came out at £667 with an exess of £400 voluntary Censored

Post #17096026th Jun 2007 8:12 pm
d3matt

One big advantage of NFU is that their policy includes two years new for old, so saves on getting GAP insurance.
Well worth spending a few quid more. NFU have generally been around £80 per annum more expensive for me than the others (apart from LR who were significantly higher), but I've considered this well worth paying.
 Matt  
Post #17096526th Jun 2007 8:30 pm
Chumbucket2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Story of insurance continues.......More Than have sent a letter FULLY admitting they mis-sold me Off Road insurance which they don't do Thumbs Up and I've now got very expensive LR insurance so best I get myself and offspring to lots of D3 meets in the next 12 Months to get my moneys worth Wink Now how does that winch thingy work Whistle

Post #17097426th Jun 2007 9:06 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Rang NFU today to clear up a few details 1 off road cover green lanes paid days like Weardale etc no problem either 2 mantec plate was ok as well only thing they wouldnt insure me for i if i did something like Paris Dakar Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked ,so NFU is ok for me Thumbs Up

Post #17101626th Jun 2007 11:13 pm
d3matt

I'm off to look at a used car this evening and it wont be until after 6pm when I view it. I'm taking a mate and the cash, so if it is good enough I will bring it back. So I called the NFU local agent office to see if I can arrange insurance just in case I do buy it. The answer was "no, as you don't own it". However, because they will be shut when I'm viewing the car, they agreed to write me out a cover note starting from 6pm. Then I'll informed them in the morning if I purchased the vehicle or not.
One example of the service you get from using a local agent, rather than the call centres who are stuck with fixed practices and procedures. I suppose a call centre would of been open anyway at 7pm in the evening. But this only took a 2 minute phone call to the local office and its sorted.

PS. Going to view a VW Passat Estate 2.8 V6 auto 4x4.
 Matt  
Post #17126627th Jun 2007 2:49 pm
smac343

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

i think it was the "local office" part that swung it for me as D3Matt said about £80 more expencive than Frizzel for me but they had hire car, two year replacment, and spoke to someone down the road not 5000 mile away.

Post #17135627th Jun 2007 6:49 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Er, Frizzell's call centre is about 70 miles away from you, in Bournemouth while their motor claims are handled in Bristol. Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17148927th Jun 2007 11:51 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'm 29 and when I phoned Direct Line for a quote - they were £870! Never had any points, never had any claims. NFU were way cheaper for me, about £400 I think, but we've got loads of other stuff insured with them... dog, house etc etc

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #2110403rd Oct 2007 12:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >