Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Charging Voltage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Duc750 wrote:
The D3 is not an intelligent alternator as such so it will, to a point deliver whatever the battery is "asking for" that will partially be down to what type of battery it is and what its internal resistance looks like. The fact you've got two batteries now hooked together by a "dumb" device like the T max means the alternator effectively sees both batteries in parallel and therefore its whatever the parallel network can now take.

the switching in the Tmax (unless they've changed recently) is all down to voltage above a certain voltage it will connect the two batteries, below it, it will disconnect.

That is exactly the reason why i ordered a Redarc BCDC1225D charger last week, to replace my IBS Battery System GmbH (from what i know the original designer) same as T-max...

thing is.. T-max and IBS like systems, do not cope well with different design battery's in one system.. causing unwanted "wrong" charging currents (at certain stages at least) on one of the battery's if you use 2 different types of battery's , which i do... My ODYSSEY PC1350 Battery 12V (1350 Cranking Amps) starter is another design than my auxillary battery a Optima Yellow top

also my Solar panel will be intergrated better... because last summer, the behavior of the IBS/T-max did not make that a very good combination to charge my auxillarry good enough for my Snomaster Fridge... because it equals first and leaves the Optima without its optimal range.....
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Last edited by Motolab on 21st Jan 2021 11:00 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #220407321st Jan 2021 10:56 am
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

similar to me I have an odyssey start battery and an optima auxilliary linked together with a sterling DC2DC
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #220407421st Jan 2021 10:57 am
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

M3DPO wrote:
15.1/15.2 is normal on first start up in cold winter weather for a D3, NOT D4, it should then drop to 14.2/14.4, this is why AGM batteries are not recommended for D3’s as they cannot accept a charge over 14.2 although they have been fitted to D3’s successfully.
Have you got a fridge in the centre cubby? - if it is switched on they are battery killers on a D3 and will flatten your battery in a few hours when the vehicle is stood.

Hi may ask about cubby fridge, mine turns itself off after a few minutes?
I would always have a flat battery if my kids had anything to do with it, they are always turning stuff on before you switch off.

Post #220415121st Jan 2021 5:29 pm
Lee Trinder

Sorry just to add, I have an agm battery, my charging volts don’t go over 14v. It’s been on it since we got it three years ago and works perfectly with not a lot of use. I do top it up with the c tek once a month tho

Post #220415421st Jan 2021 5:34 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Lee Trinder wrote:
M3DPO wrote:
15.1/15.2 is normal on first start up in cold winter weather for a D3, NOT D4, it should then drop to 14.2/14.4, this is why AGM batteries are not recommended for D3’s as they cannot accept a charge over 14.2 although they have been fitted to D3’s successfully.
Have you got a fridge in the centre cubby? - if it is switched on they are battery killers on a D3 and will flatten your battery in a few hours when the vehicle is stood.

Hi may ask about cubby fridge, mine turns itself off after a few minutes?
I would always have a flat battery if my kids had anything to do with it, they are always turning stuff on before you switch off.

Green light fridges behave differently to blue light - Blue light seems to run until the battery gets close to pooping itself
green light seems to only run until the canbus tells it to turn off
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #220416821st Jan 2021 6:03 pm
Lee Trinder

Mine has a blue light on the switch and it turns itself off after about five minutes.

Post #220417221st Jan 2021 6:13 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yupp mine too!
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220424521st Jan 2021 10:31 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ISTR blue lighted models where fitted to early D3’s, green to D4, many have been swapped out for this reason.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220431022nd Jan 2021 8:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >