Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Charging an Auxx battery from the cigar lighter socket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Charging an Auxx battery from the cigar lighter socket

I have a D3 but do not have dual batteries. This is something I plan to do in the near future but am looking for a temporary measure to get by over the next 30 days.

The application is to run a 12v Engel fridge. This is in the luggage area of the vehicle.

I currently have a 110Ah sealed lead acid powering it - just sitting in a marine battery box in the rear of the vehicle.

I am wondering if I can safely wire this into the accessory socket in the rear so it will charge when the vehicle engine is running?

I assume the main problem is the potential current draw should the temp aux battery run near flat. I hope that this will not happen as I only plan light use. With regular running of the vehicle engine. Therefore I suspect charging the aux from the lighter socket would be a convienient temporary measure. Am I missing something? The socket is ignition switched so is effectively isolated from the starter battery when at rest.

Another complication might be that the battery draws current away from the starter motor as soon as the iginition is switched on, in theory a problem but in reality I could just disconnect the battery to start the engine?

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Post #3398473rd Sep 2008 10:05 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I've just done the same thing (ish) to run an MT35 for a fortnight.

My aux power was a 20ah jump starter thingy.

Things I discovered:

The Engel will run overnight on 20ah
The 20ah will recharge on a days driving, connected to the 12v rear power outlet
Having not driven far for a day, the aux then drew enough to blow the fuse to the rear socket
The spare fuse (think its 15a) is completely inaccessible Evil or Very Mad
Having doors open, PC on, fridge on for a day without driving, and without a charged aux, was enough to flatten the main battery.
The D3 wont jump from a 10% charged 20ah aux
Being jump started by a D1 results in much Censored taking Embarassed

Your plan sounds better Thumbs Up
But I reckon you run a risk of blowing the fuse - take spare mini blade fuses.
Alternative perm live is available in the cubby below the rear power socket (for towing electrics)
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #3398973rd Sep 2008 11:44 pm
Iona Disko

Thanks Dave...

when you say the spare fuse is totally inaccessible... where is it?

Also, just planning in advance, where is the Aux socket fuse located? Sensibly, it might be tucked into the towing electrics but I imagine it will be at the other end of the vehicle just to get up my nose.

Maybe I should just run the fridge from the permanent live and keep the 110Ah for the innevitable jump starts? Would be far easier but somehow it just doesn't seem right.

Post #3399604th Sep 2008 9:59 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The fuse for the rear power socket is in the fusebox behind the glovebox (no 47 ?) and the spare fuses are in the bottom of this fusebox - so far down that access is pretty well impossible.

With towbar electrics fitted, there will be an additional fuseblock in the rear nearside access panel. I have cut in an additional socket on the fused side of the continuous live (purple wire). This is 20a fused. My strategy (obviously flawed Laughing ) was to run the fridge from this socket (ie main vehicle battery) with the aux battery charging when igniton live from the original power socket - giving me an emergency jump starting battery, or the abilty to run the fridge from the aux by switching the plugs over at night.

With more time on my hands, I'd have fitted a proper split charge & yellowtop (but I missed the group-buys Big Cry )
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #3401974th Sep 2008 10:41 pm
Iona Disko

Just started to install a split charge. Got the control computer, display and wiring loom in. Just need to position the auxillaries fuse boxes and the control solenoids. Battery and thick cables will be left until the end.

Trying to decide which battery to go for. Have used dual odyssey batteries in the past but don't want to spend as much. Might go for Optima or just a regular lead acid this time round.

Post #3402054th Sep 2008 11:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >