Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Changed Low Pressure Fuel Pump & now have HDC/Gearbox fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
jeep948

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes I have been into all available through my machine but I am no expert with the machine and as it is a snap on machine it is not as detailed on all of the LR as perhaps some of the other machines I see getting used on here.

I’ve cleared all of the fault codes where needed through all sections many times now but as for reading each modules live data and understanding it completely then that is outside my area of expertise.

When asked what a specific section reads or given a peice of data to check and compare to what it should be then that I can do.

‘Everyday is a school day!’

Post #199139313th Oct 2018 8:54 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

OK that's fine, when you do the next scan of all the modules post back here what you have found in each module and we'll go from there. I'm looking to see if there's something hidden which might be affecting the current conditions.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #199143913th Oct 2018 1:09 pm
Dan1720v

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

How did you replace the lpfp? Was it with a complete unit or a pump?

Post #199150913th Oct 2018 6:23 pm
jeep948

Just a pump. It did work until I went back in to fix the float a few weeks later.

Post #199152813th Oct 2018 7:15 pm
Dan1720v

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Ok, this sounds familiar to mine now. Tank out again I’m afraid, check the strainer hasn’t collapsed/broken up. And check the pipes in the tank are on correctly. It sounds to me like there is a supply issue.

Post #199157613th Oct 2018 10:35 pm
jeep948

PROFSR G wrote:
OK that's fine, when you do the next scan of all the modules post back here what you have found in each module and we'll go from there. I'm looking to see if there's something hidden which might be affecting the current conditions.

Morning PROFSR G,

So I cleared everything down, disconnecting the sensor to get the car to start, connecting it again and went for a 4 mile drive.

Suspension drops when you take off and it drives as before with the live data showing around 7600 kph for fuel pressure.

I have attached the new readings from all of the modules taken when I got back

Post #199167814th Oct 2018 12:25 pm
PROFSR G

Hi Dave, the attachment didn't upload!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #199169814th Oct 2018 1:45 pm
jeep948

2nd time lucky Shocked

Post #199170614th Oct 2018 2:28 pm
PROFSR G

OK so everything outside of the ECM/PCM looks like a cascade so you can continue to ignore them.

You will need to inspect carefully the connector and harness to the FRPS You should include all the signals arriving at the connector to rule out any short. Both codes P0193 and P0191 refer to electrical fault / damage and not the sensor itself or any values arriving at it from the HPFP!!

Its all I can suggest right now based on the live data, codes, and all that has gone before. You are going to need to employ you're trusty multimeter, take your time, and be methodical. I do not believe the pump is at fault as "I think" the VCM value is as a result of the ECU/PCM using the valve to curtail the engines power due to the underlying fault. (Limp mode)

Sorry I can't offer you something more definitive, but you have to go by what the diagnostics is telling you until you have eliminated that set of codes.
If you could post back here the values of each signal arriving at the sensor (inc earth ohms) we might make some progress. Keep the faith Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #199171414th Oct 2018 3:14 pm
jeep948

Dan1720v wrote:
Ok, this sounds familiar to mine now. Tank out again I’m afraid, check the strainer hasn’t collapsed/broken up. And check the pipes in the tank are on correctly. It sounds to me like there is a supply issue.

had the tank back off twice, new strainer on and looks good, plenty of fuel getting through from the LPFP, it is the feed from the HPFP that is low.

Post #199216816th Oct 2018 10:06 am
jeep948

PROFSR G wrote:
OK so everything outside of the ECM/PCM looks like a cascade so you can continue to ignore them.

You will need to inspect carefully the connector and harness to the FRPS You should include all the signals arriving at the connector to rule out any short. Both codes P0193 and P0191 refer to electrical fault / damage and not the sensor itself or any values arriving at it from the HPFP!!

Its all I can suggest right now based on the live data, codes, and all that has gone before. You are going to need to employ you're trusty multimeter, take your time, and be methodical. I do not believe the pump is at fault as "I think" the VCM value is as a result of the ECU/PCM using the valve to curtail the engines power due to the underlying fault. (Limp mode)

Sorry I can't offer you something more definitive, but you have to go by what the diagnostics is telling you until you have eliminated that set of codes.
If you could post back here the values of each signal arriving at the sensor (inc earth ohms) we might make some progress. Keep the faith Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Will get this done today PROFS G.... Thumbs Up

Post #199216916th Oct 2018 10:07 am
PROFSR G

Great, but take your time with it Exclamation
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #199220216th Oct 2018 12:34 pm
jeep948

Morning,

So i changed the HPFP with another 2nd hand one, the live readings have shown that the fule pressure now reads higher at around 108 bar as opposed to around 80, i know this needs to be 150 bar to get started so would this mean that i now have another faulty pump, as it was 2nd hand this is plausible???

Could i get the old HPFP repaired, is it viable, any otrher ideas???

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #199666631st Oct 2018 12:35 pm
PROFSR G

From what I have been told the pump is not serviceable, why I don't know but perhaps parts are not available or it may just be uneconomical. If that's incorrect information someone will enlighten shortly.

Does it seem plausible the replacement pump is a dud? Of course, but I'm thinking the VCV is in a different position to that on the original pump hence the different reading on the scan tool!! Is it not a bit too coincidental that you have two failed pumps?

I still think the answer lies within the wiring.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #199669631st Oct 2018 1:34 pm
jeep948

UPDATE Fault Now Fixed - Car Running

So with a lot of help (In particular from Den, PROFSR G) and a huge amount of patience (not something I usually have in abundance), I have my D3 back up and running. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Replaced the alternator.

I ended up changing the HPFP twice, NO FIX.

The fuel tank was off 7 times to check I had not disturbed something, NO FIX.

The fuel rail pressure sensor was replaced twice, I ended up having to change the complete fuel rail the 2nd time as I couldn't get the original sensor apart from Chinese ones off eBay. FIX.

I Changed the LPFP (Pump only), this lasted 2 weeks or so, it did continue to pump fuel to the engine but as it turned out it was only drawing a low voltage of around 2A, I ended up replacing with a 2nd hand complete unit which worked and we managed to get the car running in conjunction with the new Rail Sensor. FIX.

This was so time consuming and in the end my thoughts are that this is what has happened;

The LPFP failed after a few weeks, i think this was as it was a non LR part, i was still getting fuel through to the Schrader valve so did not connect the new pump as having failed. i then followed the process as above, changing various parts, i checked the votage draw from the LPFP as part of this process and then changed the LPFP again, when this was low I changed the complete unit. I put a new FRPS in and this made no difference, eBay part, I changed the complete rail as I couldn't get a sensor to match and we now have a running vehicle...…

I still have an issue with the fuel level not recording, I can only assume that this is due to the pump sendor being faulty, risks taken when fitting a 2nd hand unit, that in itself is not a disaster, just a pain having to go and buy another and fit it.
Post #201369030th Dec 2018 1:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >