Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Care hire in Cape Town
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Care hire in Cape Town

Sorry Embarassed , this is more "OT" than "Africa" since it's not directly D3, but I thought those in SA would find it here more quickly. I'm sure I'll be modded if it's too out of place Wink

We're off to Cape Town tomorrow for two weeks of meetings, following which we are having a couple of weeks of holiday in SA. Does anyone know a reliable local car hire company in Cape Town, please?

We're not looking to hire anything as plush (or as expensive to hire!) as a D3, although a 4WD could be useful. Last year we hired a Ford Ranger double cab in Moz and went to Kruger and around and then through Swaziland, and found it to be fine.

If you think it's too much like advertising, please send me a PM.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Post #921948th Oct 2006 11:02 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ian,

I dont know what your budget is but a D3 would be about GBP 110 per day, and a Double cab about half that (unlimited mileage fully insured)

Link

There are probaly other places that may be cheaper, you could try some of the other major rental companies (Avis,Imperial, Hertz?)

-- Paul

Post #922249th Oct 2006 9:44 am
IanD

Thanks Paul, I only posted here since I thought someone may know a good local company who may I could give my money to rather than the "big boys".

I'll try the link you posted, thanks. For the time we're here, I would be very happy with something less luxurious that the D3, and something a bit more common would be less conspicuous!

Anyone got any tips for nice routes/places to go vin the southern part of the country generally?

Post #9328512th Oct 2006 10:36 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Ian, unless you are going with a few friends in more than one vehicle, it may be best to contact a tour operator. They have organised routes and may even be able to fit you in with a group of 3 or 4 other vehicles. Not just for safety, but you may meet some interesting people and enjoy travelling with them too.

Have a look at the following:

http://www.ukwamkela.com/
http://www.satour.co.uk
http://www.sa-ecotoursim.com
http://www.arzike.com/category/travel/destinations/western.php
http://www.safarinow.com/destinations/south-africa/hub.aspx

and of course

http://www.southafrica.net

I am not affiliated with any of the above, not recommending any of them, but am merely suggesting you have a look to stimulate your thinking. Once you have an idea of where you want to visit, you can narrow down the oprions of who can give you what you need.

I doubt that anyone from SA would tell you one particular place in the southern region is more beautiful than another. IMHO our entire coutry is awesome, but maybe if you tell us a bit more about what you want to do, we could recommend something.

Post #9331512th Oct 2006 12:18 pm
IanD

Howzit Baben,

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look. Since I'm working at the moment, I can't have the D3 Forum open all the time! (Note to Martin - perhaps we should have a "stealth" version of the forum without all the graphics for use in meetings Wink 8) 8) )

We're not looking to anything "serious" as far as off-roading goes, but last year hired a 4WD just for the increased height to get better visibility in game parks. In the end it also came in useful in some tracks, etc.

As for the plan for this time, we are currently in Cape Town and thought of going up to the Addo park and spending a couple of days there, maybe with some side trips inland, but after that, no definite plans - maybe more after looking at your info.

BTW, in our opinion it's all pretty awesome too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #9341212th Oct 2006 4:52 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Howzit Ian

(Glad to hear you are picking up some of the local slang Laughing )

I don't think you can go wrong, even if you just hang around Cape Town.
If you like ostriches, check out Outshoorn, and maybe Kango Caves would interest you, but if you just want to look at wildlife, Addo will be great. Get a high vehicle though, 'cos this time of the year the grass might be quite high and green.

Oh, and give me mum a kiss for me while you are down south

Post #9363113th Oct 2006 1:11 pm
SN

IanD wrote:
(Note to Martin - perhaps we should have a "stealth" version of the forum without all the graphics for use in meetings Wink 8) 8) )
You could always turn off Display Images in your settings - disco3.co.uk looks a bit crap TBH though Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #9363613th Oct 2006 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >