Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Caravan Novice Seeks Advice..........PLEASE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Caravan Novice Seeks Advice..........PLEASE

Hi all, kids are getting to the age where we think they would love to go caravaning, just as I did when I was a lad Shocked
So at the risk of becoming an old fxrt way before my time (36), I am looking for advice on all things caravaning!! Very Happy

1) got 1 wife (enough thanks) and 3 kids (almost) so looking at 5-6 berth, any recommendations?

2) been told to stay away from twin axle vans as they are hard to freewheel?

3) (daft question?) what is the Disco like as a tow car?

4) anyone recommend a particular tow bar and electrics? LR or other make? cost to expect?

5) not sure how much I NEED to spend to get something decent, looking at £5k - £8k second hand?

6) any great caravan sites across the country, mix for kids but also get away from it all, beach or mountain locations?

Any help or advice is appreciated as I have absolutely no idea about caravaning, cheers, Paul Thumbs Up

Car of the Year 2005, 2006 and 2007, Best Large 4x4
Top Gear "Best Car In The World"
4x4 Magazine "Best 4x4 In The World"

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Post #14386328th Mar 2007 11:19 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

no Big Cry no Big Cry no Big Cry no Big Cry no Big Cry no Big Cry no Big Cry no Big Cry
imagine how many years worth of hotel rooms £5-8k could buy!
no dragging a tin tent around annoying the cr@p out of everyone behind you, no extra insurance, spare wheels, wheelbearings, chemical toilets to empty, no sanctomoneous gits on campsites telling you how they managed to drag a 10 metre caravan round europe with a montego estate and 'only' had to change the headgasket twice.... Rolling Eyes no listening to rain beating its way through the roof on a 30 degree slope on a Rhyll campsite littered with last seasons zimmer frames in March, no postcards from that 'very nice' retired couple that go to Skegness every year because it's where they always go Thud

Or have I got it all wrong? Wink

Post #14386728th Mar 2007 11:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Don't listen to him. Wink

What you need is the biggest Censored off twin axle bling tent that you can afford. Your D3 will love it.

Join the Caravan Club, I have been caravanning for years, and thoroughly enjoy it. Its been a great family pastime.

Don't worry about tales of chemical porta pottis, modern vans have electric flush loo, and power showers. Mines even got central heating aircon and sattelite tv's front and rear.

Post #14387328th Mar 2007 11:40 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

No.. No... No... listen to what TFC is saying ....read between the lines goddammit......sell the D3.... buy a Montego instead Wink

21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14387728th Mar 2007 11:45 pm
n1cktdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I too thought I am old before my time but a few of my mates also caravan now and so it's pretty good - a weekend away, bit of greenlaning, BBQ, stella's and a good laugh. I have never pi55ed anyone off driving slow (v6 frontera, TD5 with 200BHP and now a D3 with 250BHP) or taking up too much room - I leave that to old series LR's that can barely muster 35mph and the 'toy' offroad mob driving in convoy with their keys on belt clips and expedition roofracks for carrying nowt all over the UK except 4 crappy 55w spotlamps and a CB aerial.

OK - seriously spend what you can, I spent £20k on a Bessacarr with all the 'bling' but am away most weekends so can justify it - also as I travel I spend a bit of time in hotels and so like the freedom of our own space, where we can put the kids in bed and sit under the canopy with a beer relaxing......each to their own.

And before I get a backlash from the mud club (just having fun commrades) I am heavily involved in landfill engineering and waste management and have driven 4x4's at work, in quarries, over landmass in africa and in europe for years so doing it in my spare time is not high on the agenda - especially in my own car when I can do it in a works car for free.

Rolling with laughter

Nick Whistle
 D4 HSE....Probably, but not quite decided yet.
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #14388129th Mar 2007 12:04 am
MX

United Kingdom 

Having towed caravans all over Europe for the last 10 years I can honestly say that the D3 is by far the best tow-car I have ever used. There is absolutely no truth in the rumor that we become some sort of mobile chicane, and in all my time I have only been passed by one other outfit (and that was because I didnt see him coming .....grrrrr!)

Perfectly stable with large single axle british van (Bailey Pageant) and also towed a huge German Hobby van while out there and neither caused the car any discomfort at all.

Well done Landrover - I thought the D2 was a good towcar - this is in a different league
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #14390129th Mar 2007 8:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BanhamT

Got for the biggest and newest you can afford. Mines a 6 berth twin axle abbey and my son loves it!

You are not going to be the slowest thing on the road by a long chalk - all those lorries will be slower than you legally.

Twin axles are fine as long as you take some time to learn how to reverse! I have to back mine from a main road down a side road and then up my drive and I manage it ok!

If you are really worried about it you can get a caravan mover.

Join the caravan club as you will generally find that this will mean a level of quality (but there are plenty of non club sites out there that are brilliant)

Don't worry about being "old" before your time - you are not Thumbs Up
 Not a D3 Driver Smile
but a lover of all things 4x4 

Post #14390429th Mar 2007 8:39 am
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ok got to add my lot Very Happy

been towing caravans for 32 years Embarassed and i have got to agree that the D3 is as good as it gets, but as a member and national councilor for The Camping and Caravanning Club i say get one bought at whatever you can afford and go and enjoy it, as the others have said great to get away for the weekend knowing that the kids are safe and that i won't cost a fortune if you go away every week end.

and i too don't hold up the traffic it's the nutters that try to pass me only to find i'm at the back of the line of cars because some boy racer has ploughed it in to a wall.. Twisted Evil
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #14390829th Mar 2007 8:59 am
Pelyma

England 

I'm 36 too and I've had a van for 4 years. I started like you with the same ideas and misconceptions! We looked second hand in exactly the same price bracket, the only trouble is most vans warranty doesn't transfer. If I were you I'd search for places that have a few of last years models (which are heavily discounted) and buy new. We paid just over £10K and had a 5 berth Abbey Expression. This is a dealer special based on the Abbey Adventura. We found that we loved it and traded it in for a Fleetwood Heritage twin axle. At that time I had all the notions that TA vans were much more difficult and I can tell you it is a load of Censored They are easier to reverse as the van isn't so twitch and quick reacting. I do have a mover because we keep it in storage where you have to man handle it.

We are off on Saturday for 10 days and it will be great, like the others we have showers almost as good as home, heating as good as home etc etc etc Try a cheaper van first and I assure you when funds permit you will upgrade.

As far as sites are concerned you have a huge range of types. We like those with no facilities, just an electrical hook up if staying more than a weekend. These maybe on Forestry Commission sites or on farms where only 5 vans are allowed. You maybe more social and want the club house swimming pool etc etc. Hotels are fine, but when you've been in a few they are all variations on the same theme and very regimented.

We take the bikes, the 2 kids, 5 dogs, plenty of wine and have a great time. We eat when we want, we do what we want and if we don't like somewhere we move on. You'll love it

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #14391029th Mar 2007 9:09 am
cyclic

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Caravanning used to have a very poor image yet it is still the most popular way to holiday in the UK and becoming more popular. The caravans are becoming more sophisticated and if you pick the right sites, you will be very impressed by the facilities. We found that with a young family and pressures of work, it was becoming more and more difficult to get away on traditional holidays and breaks. I convinced my wife to take a look at the modern twin axle caravans and she was converted. I have two boys and they love the adventure and freedom that they get in this modern molly cuddled world that they live in.

I would definitely join the Caravanning Club as you get a similar high standard across most of their sites. If you try one of the CC sites and have toddlers then pick a site with the toddler washroom as this makes life a lot easier at bedtime! In terms of meeting the stereotypical caravanner, yes you probably will! However, we met lots of "normal" families with kids from all walks of life and if you want to keep yourself to yourself then you can. If you want advice then it will be freely given if you ask. Try Wood Farm down in Dorset - next to Lyme Regis and has its own indoor pool and fishing ponds but isn't overly commercial. Yellowcraigs near North Berwick is next to a country park with adventure playground and 5 mins walk to the beach. Edinburgh is 30 mins drive away. The CC sites in the Lake District outside of the school holidays...

We bought a six berth twin axle for the four of us. It gives us plenty of room and a full sized wash room with separate shower - very handy for my wife to get changed in privacy away from the boys.

The D3 is an awesome tow car as everyone has mentioned. Our caravan weighs around 1700kg when loaded and behind the D3 you have to remind yourself that it is there. I wanted to go away with no worries about performance and comfort and the D3 with a twin axle has proved to be a stress free experience. I use the detachable tow bar from LR and it's fine. I lower the suspension to "access" height for hitching up as it amkes the whole operation a little easier.

In terms of moving the caravan on site, definitely invest in a caravan mover. This will enable you to position the caravan and hitch-up on your own while the family stays out of the way. We fitted a Reich mover to our latest caravan from new and I wouldn't be without it. If you haven't seen one it is basically a set of motors that drive the caravan wheels by engaged rollers and is controlled by a remote control. You can turn a 21' caravan in its own length.

I have written reviews for most of the topics mentioned above that you can find at www.busyoutdoors.com

I would say to give it a go. If you don't like it come October, sell the van and it will have cost you less than taking the family to the Costas. Pick a weekend away with a good chance of reasonable weather for your first trip and don't go too far from home. Hope that helps
 www.busyoutdoors.com  
Post #14391729th Mar 2007 9:57 am
SN

Pelyma wrote:
Click image to enlarge
That is a ****ing ENORMOUS combination :shock:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #14392029th Mar 2007 10:07 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Gareth wrote:

I think Gareths got a bigger one than Paul Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14392229th Mar 2007 10:08 am
SN

Do these things legally need a [LONG VEHICLE] plate on them?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #14392429th Mar 2007 10:10 am
Wonky

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have to say, been caravanning since I was 29 with my wife & kids and cannot find a better holiday!

It also lends value to why you have such a great car!

Try joining a forium such as http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/ where you'll find incredably knowledgable people (bit like on here really!) and don't listen to the knockers - they are just jealous after all, caravanning is now officially cool Razz

Those that say caravans hold up traffic are the sort of a*******s who don't look in front of you to see what is holding you up!

Go for it and enjoy - you will, promise!

Martin W
 07MY TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey + Alpaca
No ugly kid glass!
Side steps (one with dent!)
BIG GRIN (although turned down at the edges)
Extremely empty wallet 

Post #14392629th Mar 2007 10:16 am
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Get a carvan all means. Just stay in Yorkshire and keep off the Lancashire roads, please!
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #14392829th Mar 2007 10:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >