Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Car and Caravan Breakdown Cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
James W

United Kingdom 
Car and Caravan Breakdown Cover

Anyone got any recommendations of basic but reliable breakdown packages that cover the caravan recovery too? The premier club 'Mayday' type ones are I'm sure very good but expensive - I don't really want the option of a holiday cottage, the cover for being towed off muddy rally fields, or my own personal post-breakdown counselling hotline, I just want something that will reliably recover the outfit back home from anywhere nationwide when it all goes wrong. I don't need secondary recovery (van is not in storage). Preferably no excess, european cover (sadly) is not probably required this time around.

I see a lot of 7 metre length restrictions - surely that doesn't include the A frame as that would exclude a lot of TA vans? My caravan is 7.8m shipping length but only 6.2m internal length.

If I have to splash out on the club Mayday one, fine, but at £105 was wondering if there were any more no-frills options. I removed breakdown cover from my insurance at renewal as it wasn't possible to add caravan recovery.

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #214559912th May 2020 8:39 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Through the CSMA I have breakdown cover via LV. They don’t have the 7m x 2.3m restriction that many of the others have, and you’ll probably find that the 7m is indeed the overall length, not just the body length for the purposes of this.

The cover that I have cost £106 which is full European, but there are cheaper UK only options available.

Post #214561512th May 2020 9:13 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Thanks Nigel - what's the CSMA?
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy

Post #214561612th May 2020 9:14 pm
nigel207

It’s the Civil Service Motoring Association, which I managed to join by virtue of being a retired Police Officer. They do allow many occupations these days, but even if not, LV will still give a quote.

As you rightly say, a lot of caravans will be excluded by virtue of being over 7m overall, including our single axle Coachman. I did quite a bit of digging and T&C studying for that very reason.

Post #214562012th May 2020 9:18 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

A key question to ask the service provider is whether they will recover a faulty caravan should the tow vehicle be working fine. For many years only the Caravan Club "Mayday" Service - which is actually Green Flag under contract - would do this. Similarly, will they come and change a wheel on the caravan?

The length restrictions are due to the type of recovery vehicle used, and the steep angle of loading. I've only seen a twin axle being recovered by a vehicle where the load bed slides off and lies flat on the ground.

The Caravan Club may seem to include things you may not think you need (until it happens) but the most reassuring addition is that if you break down on your way to holiday they will take you to your destination and then bring you back home after the holiday is over.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #214562912th May 2020 9:45 pm
Leon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

+1 for Mayday, covers all eventualities.

Post #214563312th May 2020 9:57 pm
mick_n3

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

+2 for Mayday

M6NIO 

Post #214565612th May 2020 10:44 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have seen many a delivery of caravan and broken down car to a site, and vice versa collection of both when the owners have presumably finished their holiday. From the look of the recovery vehicles I assume all were Green Flag.
All seemed to be very professionally done, owners very very happy (and no doubt relieved that their holiday wasnt completely ruined).
The last one we saw, the recovery driver was clearly not rushing despite it being in the evening and well into the light fading.
It's not the answer you wanted to hear, but another one for Green Flag... sorry

Post #214566012th May 2020 10:52 pm
martint

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

+ another for Mayday

Post #214567613th May 2020 12:29 am
al cope

England 

for me, mainly due to to 'van length, always stuck with Mayday (Greenflag).

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #214569113th May 2020 7:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Navigator wrote:
seem to include things you may not think you need (until it happens) but the most reassuring addition is that if you break down on your way to holiday they will take you to your destination and then bring you back home after the holiday is over.

This is one of the biggest reasons for going with Mayday for me.

Getting holidays booked at the child-popular sites is difficult enough in the summer holidays, I'd be fuming if we had to cancel because we broke down on route.

Mayday will deliver you and your outfit to the site, and then collect you at the end of the week, providing that is what you want to do.

With all the other things that the cover provides, for £2 a week, that's great service. Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #214569213th May 2020 7:59 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Mayday it is then, I’ll got for the middle tier premium cover at £105 Thumbs Up

Before I do, what happens for European cover? Can it be bought as a bolt in or do you guys get another separate policy?

Unlikely in the next 12 months for obvious reasons but having to buy a separate expensive policy would be a bit of a downer

Post #214569913th May 2020 8:29 am
nigel207

The best European cover for car/caravan combinations in my opinion is the CAMC’s Red Pennant. Greenflag’s (CAMC) Mayday is UK specific - they want you to buy Red Pennant of course.

I’ve only needed Red Pennant once when the caravan had a problem with its brakes in Luxembourg, but worth every penny. You can either buy a single or multi-trip policy, the latter good value if you go more than once.

Post #214572713th May 2020 10:07 am
pwheeldon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

We've been recovered with out 7m caravan and a vito twice by the AA. I had to take out cover with them during the first break down as I hadn't checked the small print on my existing policy with a cheaper provider and they wouldn't cover us. That was 3 or 4 years ago and I've been with the AA since and always had great cover.

I take out a stand alone policy with them for Europe but we don't take the caravan. On one trip we stayed an extra day and I forgot to extend the cover. On the way back tge alternator light came on and it was past midnight so technically not covered, I rang anyway and they said they'd still cover me till I got on the ferry. As it turned out the light went off and I made it home OK. But that did give confidence in the AA cover.
 Discovery 4 GS 2009 Auto Stornoway Grey
Discovery 3 s 2005 Auto Bonatti Grey Gone
Discovery 3 SE 2005 Manual Zambezi Silver Gone
Range Rover Sport HSE 2006 Black
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #214574013th May 2020 10:34 am
Motty

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have mayday. It does cover everything and worth while when owning a disco. I’ve used them a couple of times there a great service and worth the extra Thumbs Up

Post #214574613th May 2020 11:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >