Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Car broken into electronically.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Car broken into electronically.

Yesterday morning I had to leave early and found my passenger door ajar with the glove boxes and centre armrest open with their contents strewn everywhere.

A week ago, my neighbours new C350 Merc was nicked so I had placed an old stop lock over the wheel, which probably stopped it from actually being stolen. My area really seems to have been targeted recently by these electronic thieves with a dozen high end motors being stolen in the last couple of weeks.

I have had the keyless entry off for a while thinking it would stop them being unable to access my code and normally have the keys in a signal proof tin, but as the temps were low I had them on my bedside cabinet so I could start the FBH while I got dressed.

Anyway, Im pretty sure these feckers will be back and that as they have my code is it just a waiting game now for it to dissapear? Or does the code change meaning if the keys are in a tin, they wont be able to get in using the code they used originally?

Grateful for any advice please
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #212316123rd Feb 2020 8:36 am
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I could well be wrong so don't take it for gospel, but my understanding is its a rolling code so is different everytime the button is pressed. If i'm correct, putting the keys in a faraday bag should stop them being able to grab the code using a relay attack.

However, you mention you'd turned the keyless entry feature off, so I'm unsure how they'd grab the code?

If it was me, I'd continue using the traditional steering wheel security device as an extra visible measure and as much as it's a pain, if you can, leave the glove box and centre console open to show there's nothing of value in there and maybe it'll put them off trying.

A general theory is, once they've attacked your home/car etc, they know the level of security they have to get past. If you up the level of protection, it foils/delays them the next time so they may just move on to someone else. If everyone in your street does the same , it moves them out of the street and then out of the area. In an ideal world anyway.

Post #212316323rd Feb 2020 8:50 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Wonder if they jammed the lock command when the fob was pressed, hence car was open and they could plunder at their leisure? Confused

Post #212316623rd Feb 2020 8:58 am
FISHBOY

Thanks guys.

Keyless is definitely off and not sure what breaking the lock command is?

Ive put it down to capturing the signal from the remote as the keys were out.
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #212317623rd Feb 2020 9:37 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Wonder if they jammed the lock command when the fob was pressed, hence car was open and they could plunder at their leisure? Confused

I would suggest this.... there are a number of devices out there which just send out signals which effectively jam any signal between the key and the car...they are not sophisticated but just drown out communications to anything in the area...
Remote control bell pushes if taped down will blast an area quite large to do this...and effectively take out half a street of owners trying to lock their cars...

This is why it is super important to watch for the hazard flash and/or mirror fold back...happened to my wife the other day in Blackheath...she parked her car for work and noticed it wouldn’t lock at that location...she had the presence of mind to park her car elsewhere and the locks worked fine...

Particularly if your street has been targeted recently it is far easier to code a new key for a vehicle if the door is unlocked with free access to the OBD...

There is a growing spate of this not to steal the car but purely to steal the contents within...

Post #212317923rd Feb 2020 9:53 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

So sorry to hear this Fishboy.
I have a couple of thoughts. I understand that the keys were not in the tin on the day in question, but worth double checking your tin really does block the signal. I’ve tried tins that were sealed and they didn’t do the job.
I also never lock my car with the key fob because of potential issues as you suggest. I use the buttons on the door to lock it (pressing twice to secure lock it).
I have heard that sometimes these people do put trackers on vehicles so might be worth checking around. Disklok steering wheel security is well thought of, so might be worth getting.
Good luck and please keep us informed.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #212318023rd Feb 2020 9:58 am
Weyboat

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There have also been instances where a particular door does not lock from the fob, so maybe try locking the car and then see if the passenger door is still open.
 Gone 2016 Landmark D4
Current 2015 HSE D4 - AKA - 'Gandalf the Grey' 

Post #212318823rd Feb 2020 10:21 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

^^^^ very very relevant with later Land Rovers with their electric locking mechanisms! However that would still set off the alarm...

Post #212320323rd Feb 2020 11:59 am
Washwipe

England 

As Weyboat, really, just a possibility that the door lock motor is failing and to not locking every time Idea
One of the FL2’s I had, the rear offside passenger door was the first one to fail when I’d expect the drivers door to fail first.

If it had not been double locked the alarm wouldn’t sound, not that it would deafen anyone.

Post #212320523rd Feb 2020 12:02 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We had a new Vauxhall Zafira years ago and when parked at a holiday cottage it absolutely refused to lock any of the doors on the remote control. Moved it twenty feet along the road, perfectly fine. Something was evidently able to permanently drown out the lock signal from the remote, however close it was to the vehicle

Post #212323823rd Feb 2020 2:31 pm
FISHBOY

Cheers all.

Tin definitely works as tested it before I switched off the keyless entry. Even touching the door handle it did not open. TBH probably the reason the car wasnt lifted last week.

All doors are locked fine with my Mrs shopping car defensively parked blocking the Disco in on the drive way, but I still wonder whether as they have my code if they can just walk up to it and try again.

Does anyone know definitively whether there is a rolling code which will help me sleep better or should I get all my stuff out hidden in the rear bins and boot basket?

To add to the story, I disturbed them at 4am on the day as I had to leave to get somewhere. I drove past two hoodies 50 yards up the road who eyeballed me with body language of flight or fight - they stuck out like a sore thumb. Phoned the Police, handing them on a plate but was very disappointed to basically be told they wernt interested - I had no evidence...
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #212330023rd Feb 2020 7:52 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Pretty sure they use rolling codes, the none keyless entry systems use rolling codes and have done for years, the keyless entry system only replaces pressing a button on the remote so it will be the same.

I am still very confused how they gained entry if your keyless entry was turned off, do the wing mirrors fold in when you lock your car? if so, were they folded in when you went to the car in the morning?
 David

Post #212331823rd Feb 2020 8:58 pm
FISHBOY

Thanks, a little bit of reassurance.

Yes, mirrors fold when locking.

Cant remember the status of the mirrors as the door was ajar with the interior light on.
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #212332823rd Feb 2020 9:25 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

If your Keyless entry is turned off, then it seems likely that they blocked the signal from your key when you went to lock it, either way, keep using the steering lock, you could also try adding one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINOMO-Motorcycle...amp;sr=8-4

Just connect the positive and negitive wires up to your battery and forget the rest. make sure the little black control box is places reasonably level under the bonnet and the siren near the grill. even armed they use no power so won't drain your battery.

You can change the sensitivity of when it will go off, I have mine on the top sensitivity and if they ever open the car door again and move around it will go off as it is completely separate from the car system.

They are cheap, but very reliable, I have a few of them on farm machinery, buildings etc, they are very loud.
 David

Post #212333523rd Feb 2020 9:35 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

There’s another trick they use on the passenger door with a coin and it will work on nearly every car in production. When you locked your car, did you hear the locks?
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #212337724th Feb 2020 2:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >