Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Can't turn rotors for rear wheel service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CoopLR3

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Can't turn rotors for rear wheel service

I'm trying to remove the rear rotors so I can inspect the parking brakes, however I am unable to turn the rotors to line up with the adjustment wheel. Parking brake is off and supposedly in service mode (key 2, pump brake 3x, hold switch down 5 secs). I've also pulled the emergency brake release cable.

Do both wheels need to be off the ground? I tried this, but still neither rotor will turn.
Should the transmission be in neutral? I tried this too, but neither rotor will turn.
Do ALL wheels need to be off the ground? Haven't tried this yet.
I could not find any info on this in Bodsy's and my search has yielded no results. From what I've read, I should be able to just lift the wheel and turn the rotor.

Could be the Pbrake be jammed "on". In that case, any tips?

The truck sat for a couple weeks with the Pbrake on, but when I went to drive it, the parking brakes were stuck on. I released them once with the emergency cable, but then they started making noise in the rear wheels. When I tested them again, they yielded a fault on the dash and began making the dreaded actuator screech. I need to get the rotors off so I can inspect.

Post #194712921st May 2018 10:29 pm
Apache

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If the mechanism is released you can spin a single wheel by hand. Only one needs to be off the ground.

When you pull the release cable, you have to pull it HARD. If you did it with your fingers you've not pulled it.

Post #194714422nd May 2018 12:06 am
CoopLR3

Thanks Apache, knowing that only the one wheel needs to be off the ground saves me lots of jacking trouble. When I try to turn the rotor, there is a little play (half inch) then a hard stop, and the half shaft turns with it, so I've been thinking the drive train is stopping the rotation. If it were the brakes, I think it would either turn 360 with difficulty or not at all.

I do believe the emergency cable released the brakes as much as they can go. I used the jack handle and after a few almighty tugs the cable played out maybe 6 inches then stopped hard. I also did the braking sequence to put it in service mode, but I don't know if it worked. I suspect the actuator or hardware are ukered. Luckily, I can just see the right side adjusting wheel and have it backed out as far as it will go (away from the spring). I bought the T50 and 32mm sockets today. Rain tomorrow, I'll try to pull the rotors without rotation Thursday.

Post #194714522nd May 2018 2:06 am
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Glad you came here,
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #194714822nd May 2018 4:12 am
Chrishy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You say it moves a bit including the drive shaft - so the brake must be “free” Have you put the box in neutral? You will not be able to turn the hub if you have it in park

Post #194717322nd May 2018 7:24 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Unless you intend removing the hub,you do not require a socket, the disk itself comes off after you remove one screw, sometimes you need to tap the disk with a rubber mallet to get it of the centre hub as they seize, WD40 works around the studs and centre section.

Post #194720722nd May 2018 9:30 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

put in neutral.

just put the park brake off to start with to see if the wheel will then move.

I would like to think either the left or right would move, assuming the park brake module isn't broke!

I had a similar issue with shoes jammed one side. I started to bang the disc off (using wood block).
It moved a bit, and this was enough to free the shoes thank fully.
I could the tap the disc back on and rotate

Post #194722822nd May 2018 11:11 am
CoopLR3

Success! Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! My initial question was essentially "Why won't the rotor turn, even in neutral with wheels off the ground?" The answer was to have the motor running when you put it in neutral. I had only turned the key to II.

The reason I wanted to remove the rotors was that the parking brake was stuck on after sitting for a month. I tried the release cable, service mode etc It took all day but I managed to wiggle the right side free while hammering on the shoes thru the inspection hole in the rotor. The 32mm socket was to help rotate the wheel, not to remove the hub.

The parking brakes were a mess. One retaining clip had disintegrated, the adjustment wheel was seized with corrosion, as was the pbrake cable lever, and some of the lining had come off the primary shoe due to underlying rust. I unseized everything and cleaned up as best I could and reassembled, fabricating a temporary retainer spring. Tomorrow I'll attack the left wheel. I've ordered a pbrake kit to replace all components except cables and actuator. Hopefully they aren't damaged. She'll be sittin' in the driveway for another week.

Post #194844227th May 2018 12:21 am
CoopLR3

Left side was also toast... I think the reason I thought the drivetrain was somehow engaged, even in neutral, was that there was enough play in the pbrakes (with broken retainers) to let the axle turn a few mils before the brake locked in. I had to use a long pry bar with the 32mm socket to turn the rotors. When that didn't work I had to remount and drive the truck a few inches to line up the adjustment hole.

Now here's a trick:
To remove the rotors when your pbrakes are seized, and nothing else works:
1) Hammer the side of the shoes through the adjustment hole with a screwdriver while you pull on the the rotor, turn the rotor occasionally or the shoe will get wedged.
2) If you can just see the edge of a shoe while looking between the rotor and hub, slip a screwdriver in there against the shoe and hammer along its edge.
These 2 methods did the trick for me.

Post #194861727th May 2018 10:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >