Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Can a wonky alternator knacker a new battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nickbos

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Bought a 2006 D3SE through a private sale around six weeks ago. Currently working through the snag list. Back in March he fitted a secondhand alternator he'd bought from a breaker on eBay for twenty-five quid and in May fitted a new Yausa battery he bought from Halfords (although no receipt in the paperwork that came with the vehicle). As he'd spent several hundred pounds pimping up the front end and rear lights I'm at a loss as to why he'd drop in a twelve year old secondhand part for something so critical - go figure?

Since acquiring the vehicle it's always thrown the "HDC Fault System Unavailable" error on start up, and over the last two weeks I've suffered a succession of problems with the SatNav (flickering and dimming screen) and Radio (sound intermittently cutting out - frequently whenever I change gear or alter the engine speed). I do lots of short trips (of under ten miles) and I've put this down to reducing levels of charge in the battery. Took the truck out for a run of fifty miles at the weekend, and although there were improvements in the flickering (virtually disappeared) and audio they didn't entirely go. The following morning back to the ag. I'm now being led to the view that the battery just isn't holding a decent charge.

Any views? I've just ordered a new12V/24V charger with all of he bells and whistles and intend putting the battery on charge and giving it some serious ooomph, but if that fails to fix things where to next? Something else to try before dropping in a new battery?

Thanks.

Post #198590424th Sep 2018 6:34 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Have u seen what the voltage is of the battery whilst standing and then with the engine running , at least then ur know if the alternator is working or not

Plus I would personally replace the alternator with a Denso one, seeing we are going into winter and also would personally worry me having an old second hand alternator wonky like that

May i ask out of curiosity what battery charger did u buy plse, thks

Post #198590624th Sep 2018 6:42 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Get herself a little ciggie lighter voltage readout gizmo, great for seeing what your alternator is doing as you drive along. Cheap as chipolattas from eBay or Amazon. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by DSL on 24th Sep 2018 6:50 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #198590724th Sep 2018 6:47 am
gstuart

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #198590824th Sep 2018 6:47 am
nickbos

Alternator was replaced with a squeeky new Denso a week or so ago. It could be the alternator is not performing although the guy who fitted it did all of those checks. The voltage fluctuation on the old one was all over the place and so I was hoping that the new alt would fix things. Er no.

Could be the charging management system (on whichever ECU it lives on) isn't allowing the charge from the alternator to hit the battery - which I assume would need a new ECU if it turns out to be the case? I'm of an age where an alternator simply pushed a charge into the battery . . .

Post #198590924th Sep 2018 6:49 am
nickbos

DSL wrote:
Get herself a little ciggie lighter voltage readout gizmo, great for seeing what your alternator is doing as you drive along. Cheap as chipolattas from eBay or Amazon. Thumbs Up

Had one. It was crap. Now removed.

Post #198591124th Sep 2018 6:50 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Or use the secret menu in the radio to view your voltage. Without seeing what that’s doing you have no idea how your alternator is doing. You don’t know if it’s the battery (ok new, or maybe not) or the alternator, which if not LR or Denso could be overvolting and screwing up your battery. Chicken and egg but you’ve no idea which.

PS Just seen re new Denso, looks like time for a new battery. Or check the new Denso is actually working properly.

Post #198591224th Sep 2018 6:54 am
nickbos

gstuart wrote:
Hi

This one looked a pretty could compromise between specs and price. A third of the price of the Bosch equivalent and half that of the Exide.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ParkerBrand-12-24...ph_lp_t_2?

Only drawback is that it's too big to drop into one of the storage boxes at the back end of the truck. Keeping fingers crossed it has an effect.

Post #198591324th Sep 2018 6:56 am
DSL

Ukraine 

nickbos wrote:
Could be the charging management system (on whichever ECU it lives on) isn't allowing the charge from the alternator to hit the battery - which I assume would need a new ECU if it turns out to be the case? I'm of an age where an alternator simply pushed a charge into the battery . . .

The voltage at the battery will be whatever the alternator is putting out, and will be the same throughout most of the car’s wiring system. More like the battery is not accepting the charge, ie it’s knackered. it will also be causing the alternator to work very hard, up at 15.something.

Post #198591424th Sep 2018 7:00 am
200TDi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

yes a faulty alternator is more than capable of killing a battery and worse, I wonder if you have a bad earth somewhere though?
 Pete

1965 S2a with Galv Marslands Chassis - Sold (BIG mistake)
1993 200TDi GS Green 5 Seat Manual - Broken
1993 200TDi GS Grey 7 Seat manual - Sold To Defender Owner to Use Engine
1999 TD5 GS Blenheim Silver 5 Seat Manual - Broken
1999 TD5 GS Oxford Blue 7 Seat Auto - Sold
1999 TD5 ES Epsom Green 6 Seat Auto - Sold
2007 D3 2.7 TDV6 XS Java Black 7 Seat Auto

1999 Swift Classic Coronette
2019 BMW X1 AWD Auto - SWMBO's Car

IID Tool BT 

Post #198591524th Sep 2018 7:06 am
gstuart

nickbos wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Hi

This one looked a pretty could compromise between specs and price. A third of the price of the Bosch equivalent and half that of the Exide.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ParkerBrand-12-24...ph_lp_t_2?

Only drawback is that it's too big to drop into one of the storage boxes at the back end of the truck. Keeping fingers crossed it has an effect.

Thks, apologises didn’t realise u had a new denso fitted , was going on the basis ref the breakeryard one Embarassed

If u do decide at some stage to get another battery charger that’s also smaller can highly recommend the CTEK

As the other guys have said, best to test the alternator and battery to see which one is causing the issues

Plse let us know how u get on plse Thumbs Up

Post #198594824th Sep 2018 9:20 am
nickbos

DSL wrote:
Or use the secret menu in the radio to view your voltage.

Good advice. Did that this evening when I arrived home after switching the engine off. Showing +10V. does that mean ten volts, or any value above ten volts?

Post #198604624th Sep 2018 3:40 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

That’s the battery voltage if the engine is off, ie battery volts and it’s knackered. Useful to leave that screen up to see what the alternator output is when the engine is running. Should show low 14.something if all well, 15.something if battery toast and alternator having to work too hard. Anything below 13v is not good for a D3, though not uncommon on the D4.

PS 10.0v is just that. Thumbs Up

Post #198606124th Sep 2018 4:17 pm
nickbos

As you may have guessed - according to the in-built diagnostics, engine running 14.5-15.2V, engine off 10.0-11.0V.

I was planning to put the battery on a 24hr burn next weekend after the charger had turned up, but now I'm wondering whether this is just going to be a waste of time and juice. I think an order for a new battery will be going in soon - the Exide EA1000 seems to get the popular vote, although the guy who does my LR work swears by Bosch.

Shame that I don't have the receipt from Halfords for the Yuasa as I think that would definitely go back for a replacement. Cheers.

Post #198620124th Sep 2018 8:39 pm
garrycol

Australia 

A bad alternator can kill your battery. The alternator can go open circuit providing a direct earth to the battery shorting it out.

Garry

Post #198624524th Sep 2018 11:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >