Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

CAN PUNCTURE LEAD TO SUSPENSION LOWERING TO STOPS?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
eamonn555

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
CAN PUNCTURE LEAD TO SUSPENSION LOWERING TO STOPS?

on fri 13th i received phone call from my wife to say suspension light was on, message said fault do not exceed 30mph and 2007 reg jeep had dropped to the ground and was also punctured back right. after a barage of f#**$ i got her to switch jeep off, short wait, restart and then put jeep through suspension settings ie access, full height, normal etc. on restart no response from suspension control, it just stayed on ground. jeep was fully loaded, wife, 4 children, weekend luggage for all. i went to scene and contacted recovery. another issue was spare wheel was trapped behind towbar so couldnt get it out to change puncture. long story short, emptied jeep, sent family onward and waited recovery. hour later recovery pulls up, tilts and slides bed. i start up jeep, activate suspension control and jeep returns to normal ride height, no dash lights, no messages. so i got spare wheel out and changed it. went for drive seemed fine. by this stage i wasnt in position to do anymore so recovery took it to his garage and i arranged to pick it up at later date. so on monday 16th at noon i collect jeep from recovery. suspension still at normal height. i drive it 25miles home. no problems. wtf now? anyone shed any light on this. no evidence of suspension drop causing puncture.
 FIRE IT UP  
Post #88459017th Jan 2012 1:19 am
Paganuk

United Kingdom 

in short yes punture can cause error in suspension

due to different rolling circumfrence of flat wheel Thumbs Up
 Survived the 2014 PotNoodle Challenge!

Club 300k+
Club General AT
Club Mantec
Club MT/R
Current
2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4TDV8 L405 Marianna Black
Previous -
2010 D4 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue DO59MUD
2005 D3 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue OMO2
2005 D3 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue 318k OMO1
2002 D2 TD5 ES7 Black
2000 P38 DHSE Green
1986 Range Rover Classic Green 

Post #88460017th Jan 2012 4:27 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

Not surprised she's playing up if you insist on refering to her as a "jeep" - it's a feckin' Land Rover not an American pile of poo!

Post #88460317th Jan 2012 6:43 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Calling it a Jeep probably hurt its feelings as you should know what brand of car you have but I have never known a puncture to cause the suspension to drop to the stops. If anything the air suspension tries to compensate for the loss of pressure but the DSC is less tolerant and can kick-in with a relatively minor loss of pressure.

Clearly collapsing to the bump stops is the last thing you would want with a puncture as, as you found out, it prevents access to the spare. The 2 failures (puncture and suspension) could be a coincidence or linked events. I would look at the height sensors first as one may be dodgy or perhaps damaged at the time of the puncture.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #88460617th Jan 2012 7:39 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I got a puncture early December and was alerted by the suspension warning that something was wrong as handling was fine. So stopped within 1/2 mile in first safe spot and tyre was right down as well as suspension. Between then it was down so much spare could not be removed. Only just got the small trolley jack under the suspension as well.

Perhaps it is driving with a puncture that encourages it to lower? And all caused by a speck of grit picked up offroading with tyres on full presure!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #88468417th Jan 2012 12:19 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

MrH wrote:
Not surprised she's playing up if you insist on refering to her as a "jeep" - it's a feckin' Land Rover not an American pile of poo!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Somebody got up on the wrong side of bed this morning!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle

Post #88468617th Jan 2012 12:22 pm
sinbad58

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi All !!

I do agree with Mr H and Robbie !!

Calling the Land Rover a J Censored p will cause all sort of problems..
And eight times in the same post !! Also that it was Friday 13th, just adds it all up.
So see a future with more unfortunate mishaps, if you not name it properly Crying or Very sad
The only cure is to go out on the Driveway and loudly say the correct name 16 times Laughing
That will counteract the worst.

Regards
Jan
 Jan R.

LR Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2005 Cairns Blue
Club BAS-FBHIC+Club BAS-Remap
Hidden Winch Mount ( Warn / Tabor 9K ) with Synthetic Line.
A-Frame Protection Bar with Lightforce 170 Xenon
Mantec Raised Air Intake LR Expo Rack OzTent Batwing,+ Frontrunner
GNVP-Suspension Rods+Rock Slider/Step+Full Underbody Protection
GG AT2s 255/60/18
Ham Radio ( HF-UHF ) Blackvue DR590X-2CH HD Camera
Squishy Cup Holders, Engel MT-35 Fridge, Cubby Fridge
GAP IIDtool BT 

Post #88471117th Jan 2012 1:28 pm
eluijten

Belgium 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

My wife had the exact same thing last week. I was away on business so had her call the garage. They came over and helped her change the spare and had the rear tyres replaced. Car is driving fine now.

In a sense it is ok the car goes into fault mode. Saves you (or SWMBO) from wrecking the RIM while driving with a flat tryre....

Post #88473117th Jan 2012 3:01 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I am learning things today and I can see that the car is, in effect, is stopping you from doing further damage. What I don't get is why the car beaches itself with the spare wheel tantalisingly out of reach.

I've had a few punctures in works' D3s but only one in my own D3 and have not experienced this. Given that this could happen off-road where clearances for jacking can be challenging I would be surprised if LR designed this in. Knowing the way most things work on the D3 would letting the car go to sleep and then restarting not allow the car to resume normal height?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #88474317th Jan 2012 3:38 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

eluijten wrote:
wrecking the RIM while driving with a flat tryre....

I got really close to doing that because the Discovery had compensated for the tyre characteristics and I did not know there was a puncture. Lesson is to stopp right away the fault comes on.

I went and got a coffee and a bun while waiting for the recovery chap to arrive, and restarting did not restore normal height until after the wheel was changed.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #88478017th Jan 2012 5:15 pm
eamonn555

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

you say potatoe i say potato. if jeep has offended any of you apologies. ive only driven it since and there has been no problems since. so today i hitched up the the horsebox (thats probably ifor williams hb 505 to some of you) and went and put 2 ton of wood chips into it on the way to work. i figured that after 8 hours with all that weight lying on the suspension id know one way or the other if any more work was need to put suspension right. i drove home after, 45km in all. i took horsebox off in yard and drove to the house. all this with no problems. as sure as death and taxes the next time my wife drives it ill be getting the call "its happened again." ill let yawl know.
 FIRE IT UP  
Post #88663921st Jan 2012 2:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >