Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Where can I put a fridge?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Where can I put a fridge?

Since we're off on our travels this year, Nr 1 on the shopping list is a fridge, so please can I invite your suggestions / photos of installations / tips on:

1) Best type (& any good leads on where to buy from / target price). Looking for something around 40ltr

2) How to connect it (Do particular fridges need particular voltage feeds etc?)

3) Where can I put it? Embarassed No really! - apart from the obvious 'stick it in the boot' - has anyone removed one of the 2nd row seats & installed the fridge there?

4) Don't suppose anyones selling one??

Thanks in advance (know you guys will think of things I wouldn't even dream of Thumbs Up )

Dave
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #2546424th Feb 2008 12:06 am
neo

England 

Do you just want a fridge, fridge/freezer or fridge/freezer and heater?

What temperature ranges is is going to operating in, are you going to be in Death Valley, CA and want nice cooled beers everyday?

Most will run off of a the 12volt supply, but typicall this will only run with the keys in, ideally a second a battery should be added and a constant live setup to additional 12v sockets in the boot or similar.

Some fridges will also run off 240/110 and gas.

I have a Waeco Tropicool that heats and cools, but not really a freezer.

I would tend to go for an Engel for serious work or a long journey.
 The M-Power Express

=~ prorsus per angustias ~= 

Post #2546554th Feb 2008 12:37 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks Neo,
To narrow that down a bit...
Fridge-freezer (ie compressor type), but single compartment ok, as it'll probably be run at 'cold fridge' level for a few days food + essential liquid refreshment.

First target destination is Pyrenees in August, so not exactly death valley!

Current first choice (barring National Luna, that I can't really justify the expense of) is the Engel MT35
Any better suggestions?

Am planning a dual battery / split charge installation.

Dave
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #2546584th Feb 2008 12:45 am
neo

England 

Engel would be the way I would go and many of the 'hard core' guys here use them too, you can remove the middle/centre seat from the second row and bolt it in.

I have used Engles when doing weekend trips and they are very good, you pay for what you get.

National Luna is good, Uncle Ray has one of those but his is a critical support team unit that has store vast amounts of alcohol at just the right temp. Thumbs Up

Then it just comes down to size, and this will depend on what you intend to store in it and for how long. If the 35 will carry what you need then go for it, but again depending on how long you are going to be away from civilisation etc you might want to go for the next one up - fridges fill up quick with drinks etc.
 The M-Power Express

Post #2546624th Feb 2008 12:55 am
neo

England 

10forcash did my dual battery setup, it is a fairly simple setup and I use an Optima Blue Top (although I would now fit a Odessey) and also had two extra 12v connectors added to teh boot area and now ALL 12 outputs are constant live.

However, if you do leave you fridge running in the car be aware that it will emit EMF and so it can be scanned by scumbag thief types looking for laptops etc.
 The M-Power Express

Post #2546634th Feb 2008 12:59 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a Waeco Fridge/Freezer combined.

Works a treat, I keep Deep Frozen (-16c, very salty water) in plastic tubs in the freezer section.

Even in the desert with ambient temps of 35c +, the fridge will stay cold from 4pm to 9 am WITHOUT the

system running Smile

Only problem is, its a 110L unit, Shocked was OK when I had my Tvan, (small, off-road caravan) because I only had the fridge in

the "boot".

Now that I have sold the Tvan, I have to take 2 of the middle row seats out to fit it in Rolling Eyes

Post #2546704th Feb 2008 3:04 am
Ken

Its fair to say most of the UK Morocco vehicles had the fridge mounted where the middle seat goes in the second row.

Make a base from Marine ply although some have use metal , Use the fixing holes for the seat base mount the ply to these then the fridge will mount on top of that get some black car carpet to neaten the install and off you go Thumbs Up

Post #2546834th Feb 2008 8:07 am
martin4x4

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Dave,

Check the price for the Engel MT45, the extra 10 litres of space is worth having!

When I bought my MT45 it was almost the same price as the MT35.
 Discovery 3 XS Auto, Stornaway, Active rear diff. 

Last edited by martin4x4 on 4th Feb 2008 9:40 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2546954th Feb 2008 9:23 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I have an Engel35 with an extension top box. This means its nice and compact for general use, and it fits in the boot underneath the boot cover. I can add the "top box" when I need more space. Mine runs off a 12v socket in the boot conect to the aux battery and when at a steady +1c will run for about 3 days without a need to charge the aux battery
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #2546984th Feb 2008 9:36 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have a Waeco 50l - it's been great - good size - yes, setup a dedicated live power feed to the rear - have never installed it anywhere so "just chuck it in the boot"...

cheers
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2547054th Feb 2008 10:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

who gives the best prices on Engel MT45F's?

Post #2551294th Feb 2008 10:41 pm
DaveT

Excellent info as ever guys Bow down

I presume it's possible to remove one of the outer mid-row seats rather than the centre? - My daughter occupies the centre seat as this gives her clear view ahead + of the DVD mounted on centre console lid 8)

Post #2551895th Feb 2008 12:20 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have a Waeco 35lt and have used it in the top end of Oz for 3 weeks. Used a battery pack firstly but useless. Last about 1.5 days and then needs 60 hours to recharge. Used the original power outlet in the rear of the D3 but it keep fusing. So I have put in a dual battery system and it works a treat. Used on recent trip to Moreton Isaland in Queensland and had icy cold beer for the week.
I use a fridge slide which is bolted into the floor using the luggage tie down points. I also have a cargo barrier, dont want the fridge hurtling through the cabin if something happens!
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #2552105th Feb 2008 1:05 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Ive got an 80L Weaco (too big, should have got a 60L)
and it fits perfectly on the passenger rear seat when its
folded up.
 Pete  
Post #2552265th Feb 2008 4:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >