Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

How Can You?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pdip1952

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
How Can You?

Amazed at how many of you take your Disco's off road into all sort of situations (latest posts)....... I have had four Range Rovers and one Disco3 up till now and have never been off road..... although living where I am (on a hillside up a forest track) there have been a number of times when the snow has been deep that without something with the capability of a LR I would have been stuck. The Disco3 cost me the neck end of £47K..... I tend to be obsessed with keeping the paintwork as good as the day I bought it! How do you guy's that go off road get over the obvious damage that must happen? Can't seem to get my head around taking something that costs an arm and a leg to buy and run off-road...... is there something wrong with me? I will wait for the replies.... the purists out there will no doubt think I am missing the point!!! Very Happy
 Discovery 3 Metropolis
TDV6
Java Black
Audi TT Roadster 225 

Post #12465928th Jan 2007 6:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

No your not missing the point at all. Each to their own. Mine is over 2 years old, and has been off road more times than I care to remember, some of it pretty extreme.

I can hold my hand on my heart and tell you that it has suffered more damage in golf club car parks than off- the road in the mud and rocks.

I also like to keep it clean and tidy, and actually enjoy cleaning off the mud from an off-road foray and returning it to pristine condition inside and out. On the other hand, I will never go around a muddy puddle or miss the chance to go off road just because its clean

Post #12466428th Jan 2007 7:15 pm
fisherman

Wales 

My baby is as clean as a whisle, and I intend to keep it that way. Every time I venture off road with it I will lovingly restore it back to it's original shine. But you just have to try it off road. It beggers belief what these limo's can do on the rough. My last car was a Landcruiser VX 4.2TD and it went round the Off road and 4 Wheel drive Mag course 8 times in a day at three weeks old. Once you try it you just have to do it again. The courses are designated as non-damaging and unless you get silly will cause no more than a good wash to get it back to beautiful again.
Go on, give it a go.
You may have more fun than you thought.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #12466928th Jan 2007 7:57 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I've got 2. One (my car) is kept immacculate (relatively) & has not been off the tarmac. The other (Mrs DSL's car) often looks like below. Best of both worlds! Thumbs Up

Post #12467228th Jan 2007 8:08 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Hang On

Why do people think that if or when they go 'off road' their cars will get damaged Question Who said that damage would occur when you go 4x4ing.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #12470228th Jan 2007 10:38 pm
SN

Exactly - from DiscoStu's Peak District videos you can see that I was getting somewhat anal over the prickly bushes - paint scratching is the worst thing mine gets. I cannot afford to get it bashed TBH. Knowing your limits is the key.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #12470528th Jan 2007 10:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Let see...how can I put this Confused Hmmm

Think of your dog sitting there at your feet, looking loyally into your eyes. Its nearly time for the usual boring walk around the block.....

......his mind drifts to running up the hill chasing rabbits, dashing through the woods and over bracken... Poking his head into a fox hole, digging in to get a better scent....onwards he leaps into a swollen stream picking up a passing stick..he fights his way to the opposite bank and climbs up with all his might ...when he reaches the top he shakes himself dry and then runs around the pasture like a small child full of innocence.....

...his eyes refocus..you put on his lead...it's time for that walk. Rolling Eyes

In the morning you open your front door, your Discovery 3 is sitting there on the drive, looking ready and loyal. It's nearly time for the usual boring drive to the office......

Get the picture Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12470828th Jan 2007 10:56 pm
SN

I like that DG, I like that - sort of why I posted that D3 London Commute Video - you can experience that cr*p every day of the week - nice in a D3 ...but its a whole differebt ball game to take it 'off-road'. You didn't buy a 7 Seat People Carrier did you? So don't treat it like one! Whistle
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #12470928th Jan 2007 10:59 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I have driven 76K in my car and its been 'off road' quite a few times. Guess what Very Happy I have never damaged it whilst 'off Roading' lets face it at 2 mph average speed you ain't going to break much Rolling Eyes well apart from the odd front drive shaft now and then Whistle
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #12471028th Jan 2007 11:03 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Enjoy your D3 as you see fit Thumbs Up

When I can and with friends there to help... I will venture off road. On my own, only if I have to.

The worst that can happen at off road speeds is bent metal and an insurance claim.

On road... where speed is more of a factor.. the dangers to man and machine are far far greater.

Post #12473828th Jan 2007 11:54 pm
White Disco

Australia 

Simon hit the nail on the head. You probably have more of a chance of getting ''bent'' on the way to the rough stuff, whilst driving at 100kph, than the 5kph in the rough stuff.
I've hurt my truck much worse in a scout hall car park than in the bush.
Cheers,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #12475329th Jan 2007 1:12 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

pdip1952,

Keeping the paintwork pristine is a difficult one after scratches from bushes and the like. I see you have Java Black so the task will be harder to hide such scratches,

I did see on this forum magnetic panels which can be stuck on the metal work to help protect the scratches but the plastic will always be vunerable. Also there are roll on materials that you can apply to help reduce the scratches. Either of them I think looks a bit strange but at the end of the day if you can avoid scratches then do so.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #12475729th Jan 2007 2:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >