*• FREE HEALTH CARE,*

*• A LOBBYIST IN WESTMINSTER*

*• BILLIONS OF POUNDS WORTH OF PUBLIC DOCUMENTS PRINTED IN YOUR LANGUAGE*

* MONEY TO GO HOME IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT IN UK

*• THE RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR COUNTRY’S FLAG WHILE YOU PROTEST THAT YOU

DON’T GET ENOUGH RESPECT*

*• AND, IN MANY INSTANCES, YOU CAN VOTE.*

* I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I HAD A FIRM GRASP ON THE SITUATION…*
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #60840423rd Feb 2010 7:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

yes you did get it right.

Its called the free world where we have the luxury of a well established and transparent judicial process, a democracy, social support for the less-fortunate and a government that is, on the whole, accountable for it's actions. And most importantly - freedom to choose and pf speech.

All those countries you listed are a combination of dictatorships, consider human rights to be lower than personal/governmental gain; are starving their people whilst building nuclear reactors; complicit on the murder of anyone deemed "undesirable"; no accountability; police/military states; no judicial process; a lawless land with perpetual tribal fighting; run by strict religious law that has been twisted and perverted from the original intent; and for at least one responsible for the murder of about 50 million of its own people...

So before statements like this are put up, you might want to consider where you are happy living... Rolling Eyes
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #60841023rd Feb 2010 8:17 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well said JF Bow down
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 23rd Feb 2010 10:31 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #60842623rd Feb 2010 8:49 am
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

....which man Question
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #60845423rd Feb 2010 10:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dexter

Scotland 

All three .............. Thumbs Up

Post #60845823rd Feb 2010 10:19 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

spot on.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #60846623rd Feb 2010 10:25 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Both true though.....

consider the following;

Newly arrived immigrant in £2m house in London with 7 other adult family members, none of whom work. Benefits of various types to the tune of £80k per annum. One son seen in brand new MINI and Merc also owned.

UK born citizen working since 16, paid £30k tax last year and £7.5k NI made redundant when company moved to China. Loss of job coincided with divorce and forced sale of marital home thus meaning he has about £80k in 'savings' according to them in power. Has two children and can claim jobseekers allowance of £64.30 a week for six months (something they keep telling him every week and sending him letters with the date his money stops) and living in, nice but modest, rented house as can't get mortgage until finding work. Cannot claim anything else due to the 'savings' he has as everything is means tested. He knows there are people worse off than him in life but it still ain't fair is it.......

Post #60846823rd Feb 2010 10:29 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

blueanchorinn wrote:
....which man Question

Updated Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #60847223rd Feb 2010 10:32 am
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Agreed JF but you can't keep using that excuse until we go bankrupt. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Financially not racially there has to come a time when enough is enough and we have to stop this drain on our resources to look after the people who are in this country now. We are a tiny, tiny country that thinks it can sort out everyones problems, we need the political will to realise that this is not so and the means to correct this before we end up like Greece, Italy, Ireland, Spain and not far behind Portugal. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Embarassed Embarassed I did get sucked into that one ady.. Embarassed Whistle Whistle Whistle
 Regards, Trev.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In the wilds of North Lincs or the middle of the North Sea. 

Post #60848823rd Feb 2010 10:58 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

i think alot of these issues could be solved if we took the "great" off of britain. then it would not look so appealing..
 one wife.......livid  
Post #60849123rd Feb 2010 11:03 am
mzplcg

England 

I don't think any regular person would deny the less fortunate asylum/social security/assistance etc. Call it what you will but the British way has always been one of fairness and a general desire to help those less fortunate.

The issue comes when various authorities/courts/political bodies etc confuse "Social security" with "Life of luxury"

Personally I have never objected to paying taxes; the objection comes when I see how they squander the money. If I was made redundant I would get the JS allowance of Censored all per week. Nowt else, despite regularly paying in over 3 grand a month in various taxes. Is that fair ? You decide.

Do I begrudge ANYONE a basic level of social security? No, not now, not ever. Everyone has the right to a basic standard of living. But, they also have a RESPONSIBILITY to contribute to the upkeep of the nation as far as they are able. Clearly severely disabled people are the main exception here. But severely disabled does not include all these made up illnesses which abound in the modern world.

However, it is wrong to blame the recipients, hell I'd take it if it was offered. Blame the clowns running the country. It's the system which is wrong. Take as an example - a real one so I'll sanitise it, my Wife is Payroll Manager for a company. Annual pay rises come around and some employees try to refuse a 3% pay rise because they'll lose hundreds a month in tax credits. Is that right or wrong? Again, you decide.

Also, is it right that those receiving benefits (handouts) for families, i.e. to feed and clothe the children as well, are allowed to spend that money on booze & fags, Sky TV, gambling etc? Surely it should be vouchers for food and clothes. Is that unreasonable? That would fulfil the country's obligations under a system of Social Security, would it not?

Nobody, as I said above, would want to deprive any human being of their basic human rights. The bit which is never mentioned though is that rights come with responsibilities.

Overall I'll stick with the UK though. At least I have the opportunity to make something for myself and I would certainly never want to swap places with the vast majority of others, here or abroad.

Post #60849423rd Feb 2010 11:12 am
Nepotism

I found it funny.

Post #60850123rd Feb 2010 11:20 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

TSR2 wrote:
before we end up like Ireland,

Yeah Trev, you wish Whistle Wink

Topman JF Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #60850623rd Feb 2010 11:30 am
al cope

England 

It already been said, but its the apparent "unfairnes" or equality (lack of) that gets most folks going. Individual responsibilty has to be looked at as well. The housing story is repeated over and over, but if you live in a two/three bedroom flat/house, YOU HAVENT GOT ROOM TO HAVE 7 KIDS, so dont have them and then expect to council/state to find you a larger place.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #60851023rd Feb 2010 11:35 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

mzplcg wrote:

Also, is it right that those receiving benefits (handouts) for families,

I hope by that you mean anyone with children regardless of income? Is it right that someone earning £150,000 (or more) gets the same basic child benefit per week per child as someone earning £15,000.

Strange how you rarely see anyone earning a fortune willing to give up their own entitlements eh ?

Should people over 60 living in £750,000+ houses be entiled to £400 heating allowance ?

Similarly, should the state fund their care when they own such assets?

I could go on and on really

Benefits ? Works both ways as I see it Whistle
Post #60852323rd Feb 2010 11:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >