DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Buying Own Tyres and Getting Them Fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Buying Own Tyres and Getting Them Fitted

Hi

I usually get my tyres sorted when the car is in for its service with my local garage.

I'm now looking to get Goodyear Duratracs (255/55/R19 111Q) but it seems that the best option is to buy the tyres myself and then arrange a fitting. A local garage is offering 4 tyres supplied and fitted for £520 but it's cash only, which makes me nervous.

I've not done it this way before - is this a sensible way to do it? What should I be looking for?

Also, my Scorpion Zeros have a 'V' speed rating, whereas the Duratracs I'm looking at are 'Q' - that seems fast enough for me, but should I be looking at the higher speed rating?
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #19329413rd Apr 2018 12:31 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

If you are fitting a tyre with a speed rating other than that recommended by JLR you should clear this with your insurers.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #19329493rd Apr 2018 12:54 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I don't think the duratracs are available in the higher speed rating any more?

I used to buy my own tyres online and get them fitted, but my local garage that I always go to has stopped offering this service. He's a bit more expensive for supply and fit, but to be honest he always looks after me so I don't mind paying a bit more. It's not like it's very often, this set of duratracs have lasted nearly 4 years/ 30K miles and have loads of tread left on them.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #19329563rd Apr 2018 1:24 pm
Dave T

England 

I have just ordered from tyreleader, you can also get them delivered to a range of tyre fitters near you, you choose which one Thumbs Up
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #19330093rd Apr 2018 4:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I get my local tyre place to supply and fit. It means he stays in business. He looks after me e.g. not charging for small jobs such as a rebalance of a wheel or an alignment check with no adjustments required. We both benefit from the relationship. Maybe it costs me a few quid over the year, maybe not.

Remember, if we all buy tyres from the internet and get them fitted locally, we'll all eventually have no one to go to for fitting because they will have gone out of business.

You fit tyres how often? Once a year, once every two years? Is it worth a local business going out of business just to save a few quid every two years? Really?
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #19330933rd Apr 2018 7:26 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Last fall when I needed new winter tires I asked 8 different shops here in the metro region. That really did pay off, difference between the cheapest and the most expensive place was approx 400 eur. Nokian Hakka 9 SUV 255/55R19. The guy I purchased them from was the owner of the tire shop and told me that if I get stuck it isn’t a fault of the car or the tires ... Thumbs Up

It might be different in smaller cities or villages but at least here the consumer does win by asking around.

I’ve heard from friends horror stories (not just rumors from a friend of a friend of a ..) of getting wrong tires from German internet stores and having difficulties either getting refunds or with returns.

Post #19331003rd Apr 2018 7:37 pm
Dave T

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I get my local tyre place to supply and fit. It means he stays in business. He looks after me e.g. not charging for small jobs such as a rebalance of a wheel or an alignment check with no adjustments required. We both benefit from the relationship. Maybe it costs me a few quid over the year, maybe not.

Remember, if we all buy tyres from the internet and get them fitted locally, we'll all eventually have no one to go to for fitting because they will have gone out of business.

You fit tyres how often? Once a year, once every two years? Is it worth a local business going out of business just to save a few quid every two years? Really?

I agree, but I tried that and was shafted........ this was my attempt

I was getting all excited about my new ATRs which I had ordered on Monday from Performance Tyres in the Carmunnock Branch on Monday as they were similar to Tyre leader when I spoke to them.
When they were almost finished fitting them I noticed they were Pirrelli Zeros, not the ordered ATRs. On pointing this out the fitter went to speak with the manager, who never came anywhere near me or apologise for their mistake. I even offered to take them if they would do a discount but nothing.
The customer service was appalling, I could not recommend anyone go near this depot, so back went the old tyres.

So back to Tyre Leader where I should have gone in the first place.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #19331033rd Apr 2018 7:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

RRSTDV8 wrote:

I use mobile tyre fitters who come to my home or work and fit whatever tyres I have bought.

Their businesses are thriving due to people buying tyres from the internet.

Thumbs Up

Post #19349009th Apr 2018 4:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >