Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Brown trousers on the M5!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cornwallboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Brown trousers on the M5!

Wellying it up the M5 on a quiet Sunday moring in a very strong cross-wind, when........
BANG!
The offside plastic cover on the side of the front windscreen broke away and started whacking the side of the car. Scary.
Stopped and managed to press the strip back in, as a couple of the nylon screws still held it on.
Didn't want to hang around on the hard shoulder but looked as if some of the rubber gromits on the holes in which the screws on the strip locate were missing. Assembly fault or did they disappear when strip blew off?
Anyone done a post on this problem? And worth taking to LR for checking as this a disconserting occurence, to say the least? Mechanically, obviously not a radical fault but potentially dangerous at high speed, with 2 ft rigid plastic strips flying around.

Post #12262722nd Jan 2007 9:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tommyknocker

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Windscreen Bits

Have you had your windscreen replaced recently? Happened to me a while back after having the screen replaced - apparantly LR recommend new side strips each time the screen is replaced - if you put the old ones back on they tend to fly off. Take it back to the windscreen place if this is the case.
 06 Bonatti Grey HSE, Ebony Interior with Privacy Glass & Rubbing Strips.  
Post #12263222nd Jan 2007 9:53 am
cornwallboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
windscreen strips

Good advice. No, haven't had windscreen replaced but in view of yr comments plus apparently missing rubber gromets, will ask LR to replace strip.
thanks

Post #12263622nd Jan 2007 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

had exactly the same problem on the A14 trm now loose in places, is this really a windscreen repair fix as i have had a new one last year which seems a bit cheeky re warranty claim, is this not a LR dealer issue??
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #12265522nd Jan 2007 11:07 am
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I'd completely forgotten about this happening to my D3 about 18 months ago - so many other "issues" since Mad !

Funnily enough, I was wellying down the M5 at the time which, added to the strong winds, suddenly resulted in madly flapping and banging trim!

I'd not had any work to the screen, so dealer reckoned it had just not been properly fitted in the factory and that it hadn't been pressed quite hard enough to click onto one or two of the tabs.

The plastic trim was damaged. But a new trim was sent to me (at my request) and I fitted it and haven't had a problem since.
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #12268522nd Jan 2007 12:32 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The bottom (I think) clip is 'designed' to break when the trim is removed and has to be replaced with a new one (clip) when re-fitting.

Maybe so that it holds firm and is not able to easily un-clip. Assuming its been fitted correctly in the first place of course.

Worth remembering if you do have a windscreen replaced by anyone other than LR or a fitter who knows and brings new clips.

Post #12273122nd Jan 2007 1:57 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Yep, Mine had a broken clip, but the trim stayed in place (perhaps my wellies aren't as heavy Wink )

But the trim did rub against the corner of the wing, making an intermittent "squeaky noise" at about 50mph. Took AGES to find & was getting really annoying!

But all put right under warranty once found, full marks again to Riders Landrover!
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #12303723rd Jan 2007 12:49 am
DrtyBlvd

Spain 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

This happened to me too - it is linked to water ingress in the roof and footwell as well - there is an official LR fix document thingy on it.

I took it in and got it fixed at Taggarts in Glasgow, on the side that was a problem, and away I went. Three weeks later, the other side went!

Airing my irritation at this at a different dealer in Gibraltar, I was shown the LR document that clearly says BOTH sides should be done if there is a problem with either, something the first LR dealer didn't do...

The new clips have a rubber gromet around them that stops water ingress and they also used sealent on the bottom of the strip...

The water ingress shows along the side the strip is loose on in the roof lining - first indication (pre strip popping off at speed) was a wet drivers seat - subsequently, the *rear* roof lining above the boot side-pocket was dripping(!) The strips being fixed cured this. There is also a cross-over with sun roof drainer blockage or somesuch causing internal 'dampness'

The faster you go, the further back the water gets... Laughing

Post #12378825th Jan 2007 10:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >