Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Broken alpine roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NJF

Broken alpine roof

Well, I suppose it's time for another lurker to come out of the shadows. I've read the site daily for about a year. It's a great place to spend time. Thumbs Up

Here's the issue. The car skimmed the top of the garage door today. Result: one antenna on the floor; connecting wire torn out; and (worst of all) extensive cracks on the alpine roof, radiating for about 18 inches from the antenna mount. It's clear that the whole thing is beyond repair and must be renewed and the GPS/PTI recommissioned. Big Cry

I searched the site but I couldn't find a related thread. We can't be the only muppets to have pulled this trick? Has anyone got an idea of how easy the fix will be and how much it might cost? Does LR Assist provide a replacement car in damage cases like this?

(BTW, the D3 has 15,000 km from new in 10 months. Initial Diesel rattle has gone and the engine keeps getting better. It's a fantastic car. Our 2007 Merc E320 V6 CDI (work car) stays in the garage during the weekend and is in danger of being swapped out for another LR product on grounds of fun factor alone.)

Post #2122245th Oct 2007 6:28 pm
WillMyth

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Sorry I cant help but just wanted to say Hello

Post #2122575th Oct 2007 7:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've heard of others leaning on their glass roof & then just getting it replaced through AutoGlass as it's glass & therefore covered by only paying a nominal windscreen excess. Your PTI may be a bit trickier.......

And welcome from out of the lurking area.... Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #2122615th Oct 2007 8:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I stood on mine and broke it Rolling Eyes got it fixed, treated it the same as a windscreen replacement.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #2123065th Oct 2007 9:35 pm
NJF

Even without the roof antenna, the satnav still works. Is the GPS antenna somewhere else?

Post #2124846th Oct 2007 1:30 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It's in the high level brake light housing
 The End  
Post #2124856th Oct 2007 1:42 pm
NJF

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

The salesman who sold the car to me thought that the GPS antenna was in the blister on top of the roof. So did the storeman who picked the new parts from the catalogue. He spent ages looking at the roof in the catalogue. There seemed to be two types: one with a blister pre-fit and the other without. The last one he looked at had the blister pre-fit, so I guess he'll order that one ...

The body shop man seemed to know his stuff, though: "garage door?", he asked. I got the feeling that he could cover his wall in fallen blisters, like hunting trophies.

Mind you, there are a lot of underground car parks around here, some of them as low as 1.80m and many of them with parking bays no wider than the D3. Locking the car in access mode becomes second nature.

Parts should be here in 2 days and repair should take 2 days (the steel skin at the back of the roof was also dented and scuffed, so it needs to be lifted out and resprayed). Might be done within the week.

Post #2131898th Oct 2007 7:17 pm
NJF

Oh, and the phone works fine. Rolling Eyes My wife connects her handset by Bluetooth, so it must be using the handset's antenna. It seems that the thing on the roof is ... mostly not needed. Shocked

Post #2132458th Oct 2007 9:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >