Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

broke down...(25th Feb)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
OK, daft question from a non techie, aimed at the resident techies here but ........

Would the the engine have dumped it’s oil because the oil seal failed or could something in the engine have failed that caused the pressure to build up and the oil to find the easiest way out? Basically is loosing the oil the cause of the engine failure or a symptom?

All systems I have worked on have a filter by-pass safety valve should the filter block for whatever reason. If it was not a genuine OEM filter the request for assistance from L R will be thrown out whatever the cause and this also applies to vehicles still under warranty, another good reason to have all services done by main agents and only fit genuine OEM components.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #203262828th Feb 2019 9:58 am
forever

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Rnclayton wrote:
Just sent a very long email back.
I have asked for this to be escalated, with written (Email) confirmation to me within 24hrs, to confim escalation.
Then communication to me by noon on Monday 4th, with suggestions from JLR on the way forward.

See what happens

If you are out of warranty and did not buy from a main dealer, then why would they care? Really hope you get somewhere but very much doubt it...

Post #203263428th Feb 2019 10:18 am
Andy500

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Good luck and thanks for sharing your woes. Ithink it helps us all learn a little along the journey!
I’m intrigued as to what caused the fiailure as if it as the oil seal on a filter that meant it lost 5.5l of oil in such a short time you would have thought it would be exiting at reasonable pressure and hence making a right mess/smoke and smell etc!

I’m also thinking as per someone else has noted that the filter seal was a symptom not the root cause especially as it had performed correctly for nearly a year before it let go hence unlikely to be an installation issue.

Post #203264428th Feb 2019 10:53 am
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Russell wrote:
hugeviking wrote:
Bad news indeed, but would it take 10 months from the last service for this fault to appear.

I am not familiar with the D4 , but are peeps saying there is no workable low oil pressure warning, and you cannot check the oil level before a journey because the oil must be warm.

Andi.

Not sure about checking oil level when cold as my D4's you could check oil level when cold but not when oil was hot.
As for warning light, many cars are fitted with a warning light but by the time it comes on it is often too late especially if you are driving at the time and not just parked on tick over

Thumbs Up so you can check the oil before startup
I guess with sudden large oil loss no oil warning light would be able to give much warning.

Andi.

Post #203271828th Feb 2019 2:14 pm
Sheepy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Isn't part of the problem that it's an oil pressure warning, not an oil level warning. With a leak, you can still have good pressure right up to the point where all the oil is lost - it's not a progressive thing where 5.5l of oil is good pressure, 5.0l is slightly lower etc - like a tyre with a slow puncture.

Post #203274728th Feb 2019 4:39 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Totally agree with that. Thumbs Up
Im sure it is not beyond the enginners whit to have some sort of level warning though. But with sudden large loss of oil it maybe ineffective.

Andi.

Post #203277928th Feb 2019 6:21 pm
Beretta

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

So gutted to read all this, really makes me worry. Tonight had a bit of back and forth at nursery then looked where I’d been driving to see this oily mess, and most looked very wet.

We had to sit in the car for the 10mins for the level to read, luckily still showing a good level.
 2010 Disco 4 HSE
- Digital Dash Club
- GAP BT IID 

Post #203279428th Feb 2019 7:05 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Steve when you check the level again do this, when the level is showing ( no level) just press the cancel button for the cruise a couple of times it will show up then.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #203280828th Feb 2019 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rnclayton

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Can someone please tell me what version of the TDV6 I've got?

Going by the Vin no. the eighth character is an F. Does this letter correspond to a specific bhp of tdv6?

Edit:

Just found the WIKI page, which just states 3.0 TDV6.

Administrators: The link attached to the 3.0 TDV6 takes you to the wiki page about the 2.7 TDV6. Not sure if this is an error or not.
 MY07 Freelander2 SE Santorini Black - Gone
MY10 D4 XS Buckingham Blue
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #20328911st Mar 2019 9:58 am
Rnclayton

Had another reply from JLR.

Stressed that it is the owners responsability to check oil level, but acknowledged that I have a routine and am checking oil regularly.

Again suggested that I get the vehicle to an approved Land Rover retailer for investigation.

At no point did the email explain, correct, or deny any of the statments I had made in the prior email.

I have asked for my situation to be escalated.
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #20333932nd Mar 2019 11:02 pm
forever

What are you hoping to achieve with the emails to LR?

Post #20334513rd Mar 2019 9:39 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Engine seized, OP said he didn’t think he’d be in a position to replace it, so I’d say he’s looking to JLR to make a seizable contribution to the repair or do it FOC?

Post #20334583rd Mar 2019 10:05 am
forever

But thats never going to happen, bought from a non LR dealer 9 years old, non LR history etc etc...
My focus would be on trying to source a second hand engine or seeing what garages would buy in its current state...
If it had been a LR bought car it would have had the 2 year warranty on it and hence would be already fixed, in my view these cars have to have a warranty...
But if you roll the dice sometimes works others not...

Post #20334603rd Mar 2019 10:13 am
Rnclayton

Morning,

As Dundonian stated, I am not in a finacnial position at the moment to replace the engine.

However, in relation to 'Forever's comments, I am investigating all avenues.

I am in contact with another member who is the same position, but about a month ahead of me. His cause was different, but still needs a new engine. He has shared a lot of the information he has already gained from the leg work he has been doing. Steve at T&S Norman also gave me some great information.

As for JLR, Dundonian is bang on with his assessment. I have asked them specific questions, in relation to my exact situation. The replies I received were clear and to the point. I queired the answer I was given, in a second email, outlining what I understood JLR had told me. In their subsequebt reply, they did not deny or correct my undertanding of their answers. I therfore believe JLR has a case to answer, which I am pursuing. I will refrain from stating exactly what tack I am following, until I get a decision from JLR. However you might pick it up from previous comments I have made during this thread. If my understanding is correct, this may benefit ALL LAnd Rover owners with this engine.
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #20334743rd Mar 2019 10:49 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Yes, I can see your train of thought. Can only wish you good luck. If I were in a similar position, I’d try it too, you’ve nothing to loose and all to gain.

LRCS are spasmodic in their approach to customer problems even at the highest level. Last year I rejected a new LR. Granted my contract was with the main dealership, but LR didn’t want involved. Even after I’d eventually managed a refund, their attitude didn’t change. All they offered was to mediate with the dealership so we’d end up on talking terms again! Censored nerve. I won’t ever step into that particular dealership ever again. That apart it cost me a lot of time and inconvenience for which LR washed their hands of. I’ve never been so disgusted with an executive LR customer service. It was Censored appalling.

Post #20334773rd Mar 2019 11:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >