Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

brief noise under load during acceleration - !!!update!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
DangerousDriver

caverD3 wrote:
If only engine speed related try the idle pulley or the ac unit. Idea
Switch AC off and see if the noise changes.

I have this noise too - at 2000rpm +/- (ie motorway cruising speed!). Sometimes quite loud, as in audible over the radio.

I discovered some time ago that switching the AC off instantly kills the noise.

For me the noise is like a slowly oscillating low-pitched humming or groaning (repeating a bit like a sine wave every 4 - 5 seconds).

Doen anyone have an idea as to why the AC unit would make this sound at particular engine speeds?

Haven't been back to dealers since purchase last year but this is towards the top of the fault list.

Post #93256417th May 2012 1:00 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

dangerous, it will be your AC pulley/bearing. They can be replaced (part costs about £60) without having to change the AC compressor.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #93256717th May 2012 1:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DangerousDriver

Thanks for that info. I think I'll take it in to dealer sooner rather than later.

Post #93283518th May 2012 5:29 am
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

OLD THREAD REVIVAL ALERT!!!

I have this drone/ buzzing sensation through footrest and it's at precisely
1900 onwards

No matter how hard I boot it or how gentle , it's always there

So I've had new idler pulley
New tensioner pulley
New denso. Alternator
Gearbox megaflush
Both front wheelbearings....

Steering pump has. 3-5mm end float. But seems smooth when spun by hand

This is doing me noggin in

Post #122355124th Jan 2014 9:00 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I had a bad droning noise through the steering on over run especially at speeds of 70 mph. The dealer confirmed my suspision that it was the front diff this was backed up by the black metallic oil I drained. The diff has been replaced with a guaranteed Landrover recon I have now done about 800 miles with it. I now have the same noises as the rest of you guys. Not so much on over run but sometimes on accereration and when feathering the throttle in between. I think alot of diff problems get blamed on general grabber ats it just delays the warranty claim. The other thing I have is a slight scuffing sensation from the front wheels on small roundabouts almost a resistance that requires throttle to over come a bit like the diff not doing its job.

Post #122356924th Jan 2014 9:22 pm
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi yogi, have been watching this thred for a bit now to see if anyone has found the fix. Well had my mechanic look at mine today and it's my propshaft centre bearing so thought this may help you as I have the same issue as you. Apparently easy to diagnose he just got in started her up, open both front windows a accelerated in reverse in a straight line and there was a ticking noise from under the car. Propshaft hitting heat shield were its bent due to bearing/rubber.

Hope this helps
Dave

Post #123701214th Feb 2014 8:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Markmein

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi mine does exactly this changed all the oils nothing obvious in any, center prop mount is fine sound is I'm almost certain coming from the back of the car I can only put it down to exhaust, until something gets worse I'll settle for using the patent odd noise suppression system and turn the radio up.

Interested to see if there are any other definitive solutions,
Just so odd how it's at such a narrow rpm band 1500 and a trailing throttle.

Post #123709914th Feb 2014 11:56 pm
d.lundigan

Mark, have you tried the reverse thing Question

Post #123746415th Feb 2014 9:44 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

If my noise is the same as yours, I can tell you it's not the turbo, turbo actuator, transfer case, transfer box, idler pulley, torque converter, or automatic gearbox. This is based on the fact that mines had them all changed and it's still at the dealers Big Cry
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #123837317th Feb 2014 9:31 pm
d.lundigan

Ouch, Bet that's cost a lot Shocked

Post #123901618th Feb 2014 9:55 pm
bobgolden

Fortunately it's being done under the manufacturers warranty but, all the same, it does sound rather costly. Hope it doesn't end to to be a 50p diode - which is what FUBAR'd the rotary shift when it first came out on the XF Whistle

Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6

Post #123942419th Feb 2014 7:53 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Shocked

think ive found my source of vibration.

centre bearing on propshaft is rattling around in the mount and not attached at all Mr. Green

shame my tube of sikaflex has dried up Big Cry

Post #125124311th Mar 2014 1:59 pm
bobgolden

After a total of 13 weeks at the dealer, mine was finally blamed on the transfer box. It was eventually diagnosed (after 2 previous replacements) by swapping the unit from a known working car. This is on a MY11 with 17k on from new.

Sadly, the dealer experience wasn't great and it was offered back to me with scratches on the wheel arch extensions, stained door cards and marks on the seats. It was all supposedly resolved yesterday and this afternoon I found another scratch on the front bumper where it looks like it was put on the ground shiny side down. I give up.

Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6

Post #125142611th Mar 2014 7:31 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I am sorry to hear your experience I have been in a similar position years ago. You need to get the dealer to get your car to a standard you are happy with. Then hopefully you will enjoy it and fall back in love with it. Or sell it and put it behind you.
 D4  
Post #125155711th Mar 2014 10:08 pm
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

TJ1010 wrote:
Hi Guys.

I have been chasing this same issue for some 18 months in TD disc3. I have read all of these threads with interest. My dealer has basically put this in a too hard basket. Having spent some 8 years in the automotive industry at a large dealership in Aust a multi franchise I strongly believe that it is not a standard characteristic of the vehicle not is it as a result of th way a driver drives. The noise that i clearly have is a drone. It seems to occur when the transmission goes into tcc lock up. It creates a vibration that can be felt through the steering and accellerator pedal. My vehicle has some 54 000km and the nosie is becoming worse. It is easy tohear and feel at 65 to 70 km under light load on slight gradient. I can also reproduce the same vibration but the noise is not as auditable at the 1500rpm on the highway. I have driven another Disco 3 over the same road surfaces with higher milage than mine with nil noise. There is a definate issue here either exhaust, transmission Or heat shield related. My last conversation with my dealer is that the car is to stay at the dealership until rectified. Will keep you posted but tey just dont sem interested in locating a hard to fix problem but are happy to take your money or a service.

Hi TJ1010,
I have had this issue on my 2010 D4 for about 1 year now. I've mentioned it to my dealer (Austral) and they say they can't find anything wrong. To me it's like a soft groan as I accelerate from standstill at around 1900 rpm, accompanied by a very slight vibration through the steering wheel. We live in a hilly area and it seems more noticeable when pulling away from standstill on a hill, especially if doing a right turn at the same time. It feels like a diff issue so will ask the dealer to check the front diff oil at my upcoming 4 year service. How did your issue pan out, I haven't seen another post since this one?
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #125217113th Mar 2014 6:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >