Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Europe

After Brexit Import Headache?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
McAdam

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
After Brexit Import Headache?

Anyone have any experience buying parts from the UK after Brexit?

Maybe there's a big European supplier I am not aware of?

I have had a few deliveries from the UK get delayed by several weeks recently, so I am trying to be a bit more careful where I order from.
 Pre-Production
D3 V8 #264
LHD '04 HSE
Living its life as a 50/50 On/Off road car exploring the Canary Islands 

Post #220966511th Feb 2021 10:54 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If it happens to you like me, a can of wax for a barbour, it cost me € 5 and the postage asked for 45 more ... total 50 + delays, I don't know if after customs ... but I don't care ... final solution ... the Barbour will turn into fluffy cotton ...

I will not try again! Censored Brexit!!!
 lost in translation!  
Post #220967411th Feb 2021 11:11 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yup... same everywere (i heard)
Transporters and customs are making a mess... regarding B2B

First... for non business customers... it is normal to pay customs at the border.... since there is a economical border now between UK and EU... you have to pay tax... so forms and work..
But UK suppliers can sell you without tax.... so only the paperwork has to be paid... and that is an issue...
Since it is not done proper now..... we heard that the UK distributors(shipment firms...like UPS, dpd, etc... are not supplying the correct forms regarding customs...

Costs and forms should be the same, as if bought from Australia or Norway or like wise... but they are or act not the same...

Second
We as a business
if suppliers do the proper paperwork and customs on both sides act correctly, there should be no additional paperwork and costs if we have the proper EORI licences, what we have, but still we have to pay taxes and fee’s.. completely mad..
50% of our UK suppliers do not send orders to the EU anymore because UK customs and shipment firms are sending it back...to these suppliers... it does not even cross borders! Stays in the UK! UK shipping (dpd, UPS, etc.. firms and customs are totally unprepared!
I do not want to say that EU customs work correctly though, i do not know about that, only thing i know is that ordered b2b UK goods are staying in the UK 50% of our cases... for the rest we pay fee’s totally unnecessary.....

We have heard exports declined more than 60%! That is unbarable for an economy i think....

It is not the news, only succes story’s (alway accompanied with a small sentence regarding brexit) are in the news now... Big Cry

We need goods from the UK, but they are not comming now.... will be the same with european LR suppliers very soon... prices will rising with atleast 20% i am afraid...

Curious though how it is the otherway arround...if people in the UK order from EU country’s.... what happens then? Any experiences?
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220968211th Feb 2021 11:35 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

My lad gets his parts sent from Belgium, and it used to be if ordered by 4pm, next day delivery.

Now the cut off time is 11am and it takes 2 days.

Staff in Belgium have told him they have been told to slow things down.

When foreign firms realise they are losing business by trying to punish us, do they really think we will buy from them in the future.

We had customs formalities in the past, and it worked then, why now have we problems when since before we have electronic means rather than faxes. Two reasons I think, people who can't/don't do their job properly and simple bloody mindedness.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #220968811th Feb 2021 11:46 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I speak simply as a consumer, not as a company, and without any personal interest ... and I say that buying in the UK now is tedious, frustrating and uncertain ... before, no, everything was efficiency and competitive prices ... and I did it constantly ... now I have had to forget ... I don't know who is to blame ... but the problem has been caused by Brexit without question!
 lost in translation!  
Post #220969011th Feb 2021 11:55 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

None of these problems occurred when the UK was in the Single Market and Customs Union.

One thing for certain, those who voted Leave will always find someone or something else to blame.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #220969211th Feb 2021 12:02 pm
Dave T

England 

I have ordered plenty of things from USA, Taiwan etc and always, without exception, had very good service and prices, so there really should be no reason for all these delays and price hikes apart from unfamiliarity.

I voted remain!
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #220969411th Feb 2021 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Post Brexit trade deal with he UK has not been ratified by The EU so we are operating on WTO effectively.

This requires alot of extra paperwork from the shipper aD the consignee - EORI numbers for example.

Throw into this mix the C19 pandemic with alot of staff furloughed, and the bad weather recently and its abject chaos.

DHL have announced yesterday they are not taking any more economy orders for UK - Germany for 2 weeks.

However IF everyone uses the correct paperwork cargo is getting through.

Im glad to help anyone if i can buy the stuff for you and get it to me then i can arrange export from my company.

Cheers.

Dave

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail info@md-couriers.co.uk 

Post #220969511th Feb 2021 12:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Motolab

Pending final approval, it is agreed that they ACT and behave as it is a 100% done deal... as far as i know...

so that should not be considered as a reason (i know i know)

also with the right forms, all licences, EORI numbers.. reversed charge licence in combination with EORI licence... it goes wrong... and with wrong i mean.. 50% does not arrive, does not leave the UK and if it turns up we have to pay the taxes in front... (with a art 23 licence added to our EORI numer, it is not needed) and there fore we pay addotionale admin fee's... = costs..

i do not know who is to blame, the only thing i know is the effects... additional costs and delays have an effect on our business, a huge effect...

with all the earlyer mentioned shipment company's..

pandemic.. ok maybe.. but in Norway is also a pandemic.. weather? in january it was not snowing, not severe at least.. at the harbours

ps i do not believe commercial businesses, delaying as a policy, because they want to punisch "someone" i considder that as gossip.... no commercial firm will do that... slowing things down to do it propper can be a legitimate reason though.... no problem with that..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220971111th Feb 2021 12:57 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Well if you thinks things are bad now - wait til June when full border checks kick in.

currently we are in a lapsed phase to ease things in!!

Big Cry
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail info@md-couriers.co.uk 

Post #220971311th Feb 2021 12:59 pm
Motolab

i am afraid you are right... Big Cry
 Best regards
Harold

Post #220971511th Feb 2021 1:01 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Trailered Movements wrote:
My lad gets his parts sent from Belgium, and it used to be if ordered by 4pm, next day delivery.

Now the cut off time is 11am and it takes 2 days.

Staff in Belgium have told him they have been told to slow things down.

When foreign firms realise they are losing business by trying to punish us, do they really think we will buy from them in the future.

We had customs formalities in the past, and it worked then, why now have we problems when since before we have electronic means rather than faxes. Two reasons I think, people who can't/don't do their job properly and simple bloody mindedness.

Dave

Why is it you think foreign firms are trying to 'punish' us. Thats just crass. They want to trade as much as we do. The challenge is a lack of time, support, training, capacity, knowledge and understanding etc from the UK Government and agencies and EU companies having to wrestle with new requirements that they have not had to do before. Add in furloughed staff, Covid, a FTA not fit for purpose and the NI / Ireland border issue and you can see why it's a shambles.

We're dealing with it everyday and its costing us a fortune! That's money we could be spending on expansion and development.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #220974511th Feb 2021 3:19 pm
McAdam

Didnt want this to end up being a Brexit thread, rather just how it impacts deliveries and purchases.
Nobody is punishing anybody - this is a reality we all have to face and deal with.

I know that now items would need full export paperwork as per WTO rules - most of which can be filed online.

Those of you in Jersey would have has some experience with this in the past.

I live in the Canary Islands, which is part of the EU but outside the customs area - so I always have to pay taxes/go through customs on all deliveries - Personal and Business.

But now there are longer delays with things coming here from the UK, because there are suddenly 10000x the amount of customs exits from the UK - and for the couriers and customs agents, this takes a lot more time to process than just waving an EU bound truck through.

So, back to the original question:

Has anybody found an EU supplier for LR parts that can deliver things in a reasonable amount of time, at a reasonable cost?
I found a couple of "Shell" websites that serve as a European front for UK based businesses... Obviously these suffer the same as UK sites.

p.s. I previously used to have to pay 4/5x the shipping costs from the UK due to the Export paperwork to deliver here. (IID tool cost me £65 shipping....) Oh and minimum shipping time was 7 days... if all the stars and flights aligned.
Preparing export paperwork is a very manual and labor intensive process, as most online shopping systems do not have this step automated. That is part of the reason why many UK companies have just blocked shipping to the EU, spending the extra time to fill in paperwork eats into their profits.
 Pre-Production
D3 V8 #264
LHD '04 HSE

Post #220974911th Feb 2021 3:39 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Quite simply because that was what the staff in Belgium were telling my lad when his parts didn't arrive!

DHL are still flying the route on a nightly basis, and collect from the factory in Belgium each evening, so why are the parts not being delivered the following day, quite simply because they are not being put out for collection?

And however hard you want to blame us leaving the EU for everything, our government has nothing to do with staff in Belgium being told to deal with UK destined freight differently.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #220975611th Feb 2021 3:51 pm
McAdam

TM

Before Brexit:
You lad orders parts, Company in Belgium sees order, get an empty box, puts parts in, slaps automatically printed label on. Adds it to a big pile to be sent out on that day.
DHL turn up in the evening, Load all the boxes onto the truck, take it to central Depot.
Central Depot Sorts to destination countries, loads boxes into containers, sends containers to airports.
Containers get loaded onto DHL planes, which land at LHR Cargo Terminal.
Containers are put on trucks, which then go to local DHL depot in the UK.
Mr DHL Delivery Driver wakes up in the morning to do his shift, goes to depot, loads van, delivers parts to your lad.

After Brexit.

You lad orders parts, Company in begium sees order, gets an empty box, puts parts in, slaps label on.

Now they need to go through the annoying process of filling in the customs forms, sometimes having to declare different items. They can take an extra 10-15 minutes per box if they are not used to the system, or 3-4 minutes if they've got the hang of it.

DHL turn up in the evening, Load all the boxes onto the truck, take it to central Depot.
Central Depot Sorts to destination countries, loads boxes into containers, sends containers to airports.

The containers, with the shipping manifests need to go through a customs check. Sometimes this is automated, sometimes its manual. If one person failed to fill in the form, then this could cause a delay and DHL would need to remove that item from the container.

Containers get loaded onto DHL planes, which land at LHR Cargo Terminal.

The containers then need to go through UK Customs, where they will check each consignment in the container to see if they have the correct customs declaration. DHL will see which items need to have any VAT or duties paid on them based on the customs forms that were declared, and DHL will act as the customs agent to clear the things through customs.
Once things have been approved to pass through (by DHL making the right declarations to HMRC) things can leave the airport.

Containers are put on trucks, which then go to local DHL depot in the UK.

For some items, DHL will contact the receiver for payment in advanced.
For others they will charge on delivery.

Mr DHL Delivery Driver wakes up in the morning to do his shift, goes to depot, loads van, delivers parts to your lad.

++++++++

Everything in RED is extra work due to the UK leaving the EU Customs Union. (I may have got some small points incorrect or some processes out of order - but the general stuff applies.)
This is not done as "punishment" - this is how the rest of the world works when trading outside of a customs union.
Some countries have amazing digital systems that automatically integrate with all carriers and even other countries - some countries still do things by printing off stacks of paper and using blue official stamps.

So the extra time to deliver is not the fault of the guys in Belgium, or DHL, or HMRC - its nobody's fault.
It is a reality that we have to face.
The UK has left the customs union, and it chose to be treated the same way as China, or Egypt, or Timbuktu - the difference is that these countries have years of experience handling the imports and exports, the UK didn't even have time to prepare for this.

p.s. all of this was known ahead of time. Every additional bit of headache and process was known years in advanced. But an "aim of a deal" was always splurted out, and everyone fell into a false sense of security. Now we just have to deal with it.
 Pre-Production
D3 V8 #264
LHD '04 HSE

Post #220976811th Feb 2021 4:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >