DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Brake pad and Tyre wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Brake pad and Tyre wear

Guys

After having the D3 serviced I was a little surprised that the tyres were all 4mm left and the brake pads are 70% worn. It is an auto and my wife really only uses it for a 10 mile main road drive to her mothers and going to yorkshire every year mainly on the motorway.
Its 2 years old with 9k miles on the clock.
Average fuel even taking it steady never goes above 22mpg. On the Yorkshire run we managed 27 at 70 on the motorway.
Is this normal? Neutral

Thanks Paul
 2006 TDV6 S Auto, Buckingham Blue, for the wife and kids.
2013 BMW 535d M sport touring. 

Post #2555165th Feb 2008 6:09 pm
al cope

England 

its always going to be worse on a stop/start journey auto. Mines a manual, 20k miles per year, almost all motorway stuff, so 39k out of the first set of pads, and over 30k out of the tyres (wranglers).

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #2555465th Feb 2008 6:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would agree with you Al on the pads and the front tyres, but I would of expected the rears to be a bit better.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #2555795th Feb 2008 7:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Valleyforge

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Currently at 23k, my Scorpions should do about 25k, no idea about pads yet - on 50% motorway, 50% B and a bit of A roads. MPG seems pretty good. Tell your missus not to fling it corners so much Laughing

Post #2564337th Feb 2008 3:19 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Average fuel's about right for an auto at 9K IMHO. Mine's an auto with 33K on clock now and average fuel is now up to 25mpg. As you engine loosens up with increased mileage, your mpg should improve. Mind you, mine has been Turbochipped and that makes a difference too.

Your missus must be pretty heavy on the brakes if she's almost worn out a set of pads in 9K! I tow a big caravan regularly and my pads lasted over 20K!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #2564587th Feb 2008 3:48 pm
jowett110

United Kingdom 

Agree that going through a set of pads in 9K is a bit on the harsh side. Just had all pads front and rear renewed including discs at 29,000 on 56 plate and I am advised that 30,000 is the right mileage for front discs and definitely pads.

On MGP, I am averaging around 22, with Autologic power upgrade. Can't complain though as the extra power is a great trade off against the MPG
 Wish I had a D3, but at least I now have a Landie - YIPEE  
Post #2566067th Feb 2008 8:36 pm
Fatboy Slim

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Dont think my pads will last 9k. Was changing them every 6k on my 110 Sad

Post #2571928th Feb 2008 11:14 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm on 43000 miles ..same pads all round

When i changed back from my of road tyre's last week i looked at my pads and they have about 6-7 mm left on them .

I'st set of scorpions lasted me about 29000 miles ..
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #2572429th Feb 2008 1:25 am
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: Brake pad and Tyre wear

paul wrote:
After having the D3 serviced I was a little surprised that the tyres were all 4mm left and the brake pads are 70% worn.

Is this the servicing garage's est of 70% if so you need to ask 70% of what? Many garages will give you a %' based on the usable thickness of the pad, ie from new down to a sensible minimum and/or where the sensor would trigger. If this is what they used then you have another year and possibly 4000 miles to go before they would be worn out - but you will need to keep an eye on them to ensure no pad wears faster and get to metal. 13k miles out of a pad set is quite heavy but not as bad as 9k Shocked

If the garage are simply saying of the total thickness 70% is gone then you need to be more concerned as there may only be 1-3k miles left on them.

Also check them yourself, most garages will be very cautious on recommending pad changes early as they a) want to be safe and not let you get down to the metal and b) its money for them.

As the D3 only has pad wear sensors on one front and one rear pad Rolling Eyes you can't wait/rely on the car telling you when min pad has been reached...
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #2572619th Feb 2008 8:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >