DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Brake binding? and where to get fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cobblers

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Brake binding? and where to get fixed

Hello all,

I have a problem which is think is a brake binding (or a warped disc?). Some of the symptoms I'm getting are:-

1. My off side front wheel is getting covered in brake dust very quickly, much quicker than the other side
2. The brake pads look much thinner than on the other front wheel
3. When I put the car into neutral on a slight slope it doesn't free roll down the slope (unless its reasonably steep)
4. When last washing it I got a lot of steam off the brakes on that wheel even though I hadn't used the car for 30 mins or so (none of the other wheels created steam when rinsed)
5. Steering wobble when braking, more noticable from 50ish type speed

I'm thinking of getting a new set of pads and discs from TLO which I was had thought of fitting myself, but even after reading the fantastic Bodsy's Brake Bible I'm nervous of tackling this on something so important to the families safety (plus I don't have some of the bits needed, torque wrenches, axle stands or trolley jack etc).

I guess my questions are, do the symptoms sound like I'm on the right track? and should I use a local brake place to fit the bits from TLO, or wait for some of TFC's time, or any other suggestions?

Cheers
Steve

Post #70644321st Oct 2010 1:12 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds like brake binding if it's just on one wheel. Most indi's should be able to do this now, but some are still a bit scared of the EPB.

Steam after 30 minutes definately sounds as though something isn't right. Might be a dodgy caliper sticking the pads on.

Wobble is likely to be warped disks which is not suprising given your temperature issue on one wheel.

Front disks & pads are easy enough to do, and so is changing the brake caliper (if that's what the issue is) but you do need a torque wrench.

Add up how much a jack, stands and torque wrench to cover the required Nm's and then get the price for an indi to do it. Only you can then decide if it's worth it or not.

Although going to an indi should be able to diagnose exactly the issue, but it's pointing towards a brake caliper.

Of course, it could also be the front wheel bearing worn & that's generating the heat. If you can lift that one wheel & see if you get moevemenrtt when you move the wheel lateraly. Should be reasonably obvious if it's that worn.

Recommendation... Go to an Indi or TFC to get it properly checked over.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #70645221st Oct 2010 1:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Could also be a sticky caliper

Post #70645421st Oct 2010 1:21 pm
cobblers

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Many thanks guys. I'll follow your advice Bodsy and try and book some of TFC's time.

Is it worth me getting the discs and pads from TLO anyway? It's looking like I'll need them as a minimum, not sure about a caliper though, it it worth getting one anyway or wait for a diagnosis?

Cheers
Steve

Post #70647021st Oct 2010 2:00 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'd get the disks & pads in anyway via The LargeOne as can't be beaten on genuine price.

I think you need to wait for diagnosis before getting the caliper Thumbs Up

It may just need a really good cleanup and some copper grease on the brake caliper runners. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #70647421st Oct 2010 2:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >