Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

BP Ultimate - UNLEADED! AAARGH!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Similar thing happened to somebody I knew, they drained the tank swapped the fuel filter and off it went no problem at all. This was a 535d BMW. He had been quoted over £5k for BMW to do it.

I think if LR follow the TSB by the letter of the law then it will be a large bill, I would take it to an independent first and save your self about £4800.

Cheers
Duncan
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #12126718th Jan 2007 4:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The TSB also makes mention of the affect this will have on the vehicles warranty if the customer doesn't have the 'full monty' Sad
to be fair to LR, there are several scenario's in the TSB depending on if or how long for, the vehicle has been run, and let's be honest, would you want to give a 3 year warranty on an engine thats had the wrong fuel in it and driven until it stops?
Quote:
: If the customer refuses the advised repair or wants a lower level repair than advised, the vehicle must be added to the Restricted Warranty Register

Post #12128018th Jan 2007 5:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

blaiseh wrote:
In France Shell do a V-Power diesel ..... i did double check before I filled up with it...
They do it over here too now The End  
Post #12132918th Jan 2007 6:18 pm
fisherman

Wales 

Guys
I did the same thing by filling up a Vectra with Ultimate unleaded instead of diesel at the same brand forecourt. It cost me £350.00 to have a Vauxhall dealer drain, clean and refill with £5.00 worth of diesel!
My dear old mum saw something on watchdog on the telly saying that loads of people had done the same because of the colours of the pumps/nozzles and had complained to BP.
BP came back with "if you send your receipt to them for the rectification they would refund the full amount"
I did and they were good to their word.
They didn't refund the £40.00 it cost me to fill the car with unleaded but hey, can't complain.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #12134418th Jan 2007 6:58 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

worth asking then...

Post #12134718th Jan 2007 7:01 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

A colleague of mine filled a bmw 320d with petrol and realised what he did. Drove across forecourt to get off the pumps and the cost of repairing that was huge - many thousands if I remember right. Full strip down etc.

Anyway - he claimed on his insurance and they paid up for it under the insurance policy. Could be worth a try?

Post #12137518th Jan 2007 8:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Laura

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

noizeman, what a terrible thing to happen. I have not done this yet (even though I'm female!) but I am always worried I will make this mistake. Hope you get it sorted. Be interested to know how much it ends up costing you. Best of luck.

Post #12139818th Jan 2007 9:56 pm
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for your support folks. I've been told I can expect a bill for about £3000 from the main dealership. Ouch! Apparently this is the 'worst case' scenario for a mis-fuelling according to Land Rover i.e. "run it till it stops" and this requires virtually all of the components which come into contact with the fuel to be replaced, with the exception of the fuel tank which can be cleaned. This is partly because of the possible softening of seals caused by the petrol.

Having all of this work done, without compromise, will restore the full warranty.

At the very least though, it is worth writing to BP.

Post #12153119th Jan 2007 9:49 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thats painful to read Crying or Very sad I definitly think you should approach BP. As has been said, you are not the first and won't be the last.

I almost made the same mistake a while ago - the petrol nozzle was in the filler and I was just about to press the trigger when I realised what I was doing.

Post #12153419th Jan 2007 9:55 am
noizeman

I've just found this thread:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/threa...amp;Type=1

It seems that many have made the same mistake confusing Ultimate Diesel with Ultimate Unleaded.

I don't feel quite so bad now!

Post #12153619th Jan 2007 9:57 am
couplands

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I did exactly the same with BP Ultimate on my Merc E320CDI. Didn't realise what I'd done until the warning lights came on.

Took about a week to get it fixed, cost about £6k.

They told me the main problem was that the diesel is what lubricates the high pressure fuel pump, and the petrol just causes the pump to shred lots of metal particles around the engine. Hence the need to replace many of the components.

Not sure if that was true...

Mine was a company car, so my cost centre covered it. The fleet manager raised with BP, but not sure if they got the money back. They did say that they were getting at least one car/week with the same issue.

Best of luck getting the money back from BP.

cheers

simon

Post #12153819th Jan 2007 10:03 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds right, one of the options (run for two minutes or less) described in the TSB gives an instruction to check for magnetic particles in the fuel removed from the HP rail

Post #12154119th Jan 2007 10:06 am
KrZ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

BP has been known to pay out compensations to people who misfuel. Apparently not only the name of the fuel “Ultimate” confuses people, the colour of the pump also pretty similar under certain light conditions. Definitely write to BP about it.
With regard to the mis-fuel itself, check with insurance to see if they have a claws to block the payout for misfuel, apparently insurance are dealing with far too many claims about misfueling, especially putting petrol into diesel (it is so easily done and has far greater damage to the engine), some policy (under accidental damage) specifically state they don’t cover misfuelling, so better check that out.
With regard to the damage to the engine, if you have ran the engine until it stopped, it is pretty much the worst case scenario, because petrol is a cleaning agent rather than lubricant, as soon as the petrol hits the injector, it would have made serious damage to injectors and the surrounding seals. And if the disintegrated metal parts managed to work its way through the engine, a rebuild or a new engine would be on the card which can cost up to £12000, now you said they’ve quoted you £3000 for the repair. I would make sure they’ve carried out all the required steps listed on the security bulletin point 4 (from earlier post in this thread). I’ve been told £6000 repair if the ignition key has been turned to on and you have driven the car for more than 2 mins.
I have done exactly the same not long ago, but luckily, I only put in very little petrol in my tank already ¾ full of diesel. Therefore small amount of petrol only diluted (contaminated) the diesel for a small degree. I have turned the key to on (which primes the system) to release the handbrake (a calculated risk) and had the car taken to the dealer to get the tank drained without driving it. I wouldn’t of done that if I’ve filled up with petrol from empty though.

Post #12159319th Jan 2007 12:00 pm
noizeman

I'm assured that all of the points required by the Land Rover bulletin will be carried out. They have to be to maintain the full warranty. From some posts on here, the quoted figure of £3000 seems reasonable.

I will be paying for this out of my own pocket (rather than making an insurance claim) so maybe the dealership has taken pity on me, having just paid them 50 grand or so for the car!

It still makes me feel sick though!

As a postscript, I have just filled up my petrol car with BP Ultimate (unleaded), which is a first as I normally use Shell's V-power. While there, I've taken some photographs of the Ultimate diesel pump and petrol pump, as evidence, as they do indeed look very similar, even under daylight. Both are blue but one has a slightly darker shade of blue.

I'm writing a strong letter to BP about this and await their written reply. One way round the problem, of course, though it's too late for me, would be to rename their superior fuels as "DIESEL Ultimate" and "UNLEADED Ultimate", rather than just emphasising the word "Ultimate" and the fuel type in small print. I will also be reporting BP under the Disability Discrimination Act 2004, on the basis that the two pumps could look identical to someone with a mild visual impairment such as colour-blindness.

Post #12165619th Jan 2007 2:54 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Thumbs Up Good on you.Thanks and well done for being brave enough to start this post and bringing it to all our attention as it is so easily done.
I would feel like Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry for weeks if i had done this.
Can i ask why you are not going to use your insurance Question

Post #12166119th Jan 2007 3:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >